This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I just got Crusader Kings 2 Collection, a few questions!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I just got Crusader Kings 2 Collection, a few questions!

User Info: KoRnKoB

KoRnKoB
6 months ago#1
I bought the DLC collection from G2A cause honestly, $400 is way too much for anything that isn't physical (yes, that is what it costs in my country). So instead, I got it for a $40 lol.

I've not played this before and it's... VERY deep. I'm a bit unsure of where I should begin and what DLC to have active or not. Also, any DLC that I should consider that wasn't in the collection? I hear Way of Life is an important one...

I understand playing without the DLC for a beginner, but I've also heard that for example, the Legacy of Rome DLC makes managing armies less of a headache, and many others seem to be under the 'only use if you're going muslim/abrahamic/etc' mindset. I'm basically wondering the best way to start introducing the DLCs to my game really... And should I activate all the portraits, music, customization packs from the start?

Thanks, sorry for the structure of my post, trying to type with a hot plate of roast meat on my lap :/
PSN: PrincePAUL87 | http://www.backloggery.com/princepaul87
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/princepaul87

User Info: PhazonReborn

PhazonReborn
6 months ago#2
Oh dude you made a huge mistake
The Phazon you know and trust since 2004 Steam ID: AncientToaster / PSN ID: LiteralToaster

KoRnKoB
6 months ago#3
PhazonReborn posted...
Oh dude you made a huge mistake

?

User Info: tearast

tearast
6 months ago#4
You need almost all the DLC, they include more than just the factions. They include huge QoL features and fixes that should have been patched in for free but weren't.

For example, you or the AI can kidnap and take hostages... but you can't do anything about it because that gives you no casus belli.

Then they added the "Free hostage" casus belli in the Chinese explanation.

They added hostages.... but no casus belli for them... forcing you to buy the DLC.

Also, not sure why you think the game is deep when it's really only all about gaming the system to get +like points to make people like you.

User Info: solosnake

solosnake
6 months ago#5
yeh, definitely just play with all DLC on except aztec invasion

and maybe look up some youtube videos to get some basic mechanics down
"We would have no NBA possibly if they got rid of all the flopping." ~ Dwyane Wade
http://i.imgur.com/MYYEIx5.gif http://i.imgur.com/WGE12ef.jpg

User Info: ReiperX420

ReiperX420
6 months ago#6
Whelp. There goes like 2000 hours of your life. lol

Anyways, check out Arumba's tutorial videos on youtube. They are outdated, but you'll get a lot out of them. I know I did. I love that game.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
6 months ago#7
ReiperX420 posted...
Anyways, check out Arumba's tutorial videos on youtube. They are outdated, but you'll get a lot out of them. I

My suggestion as well. And yeah, even if they are outdated, they will give you grounding in the basics - the actual parts that changed don't really matter as much, as long as you know what the mechanics are. The only notable thing that I would mention that in his series, you will find the "favourite" button (which adds a character to be of interest, thus you can find them easier) on the character panel, now you have to right-click on a character and it's there on top.

As for DLC, I looked up what the collection has. Apparently you get the following major DLC (the rest are cosmetic enhancements):

Rajas of India
Sons of Abraham
Legacy of Rome
The Republic
The Old Gods
Sword of Islam

In all honesty, those are perfectly serviceable to play the game. Only Sunset Invasion is considered by a lot of people to be bad, but you can disable that in the game rules before you start. So, you don't technically need any other ones. However, here is a breakdown of the rest and my recommendations:

- Charlemagne - you don't gain THAT much overall in terms of mechanics. You do get custom kingdoms/empires but those aren't that important. You can also play as Zunists, which is a pagan-ish religion which is cool but not too unusual. It tends to be harder due to where the Zunist characters start. The biggest change is a new earlier start date - whether or not you'd like it is up to you. I find that I don't even tend to fully complete my games to the very end date, so while extra 100 years sounds nice, it doesn't usually extend the game. However, I do like the new start date because the map usually devolves into chaos, so the game rapidly becomes even more ahistoric than usual. I find that fun.

- Way of Life - probably one of the best DLC I'd recommend. You get to choose focuses for your characters, so you can do stuff like seduction, or duels or diplomacy. It's quite fun.

- Horse Lords - entirely optional. Only if you want to play nomads. They are fun but not something I'd play all the time, since they are quite OP, you can easily take over the entire map with them meeting very little resistance.

- Conclave - it's a mixed bag. I like the new laws and how the council works but I don't like the new childhood education system. It also adds "powerful vassals", basically your most powerful underlings will desire to be on the council which sounds good in theory but it ends up being tedious very soon after. You can definitely hold off, if you're unsure.

- The Reaper's Due - more diseases and injuries mechanics. It's honestly quite fun having people with one eye, one leg and one arm around. I'd recommend it.

- Monks and Mystics - it's optional again. It adds societies, a.k.a., "clubhouses". So you can join a monastic order, or a scientific society, or the devil worshippers or even the assassins. Overall, it just gives you more power as you can quickly gain advantages from joining a society. The devil worshippers even have magic like being able to cure you of almost anything, including castration. The assassins just gain major boosts to murder plots. You can definitely skip it but if you want the power, then get it. I'd recommend it higher than Conclave.

- Jade Dragon - you can now interact with China and ask for favours and trade them eunuchs and stuff. I don't actually have it yet, as I don't consider it that intriguing. It can be quite good if you're playing in the East, as otherwise you don't have contact with the Chinese. I would say get it if you are interested in the premise or plan on playing around Arab/Indian lands a lot, otherwise you can just hold off until it's on a big discount. That's what I'll do.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

KoRnKoB
6 months ago#8
Thanks for the break down there @vlado_e

I've been slowly learning the game as I go, though combat took a while to grasp... As simple as it is. Seems watching old YouTube tutorials was detrimental to my learning as the mechanics had changed and I was somehow having armies of 1000+ getting beaten by armies 400 in size... Which made no sense given the RNG nature of combat in the game.

Still trying to figure out the whole system of 'claims' and how many counties in a duchy, how many duchies in a barony or whatever lol. I just seem to get random claims show up now and then!

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
6 months ago#9
KoRnKoB posted...
Seems watching old YouTube tutorials was detrimental to my learning as the mechanics had changed and I was somehow having armies of 1000+ getting beaten by armies 400 in size...

To be somewhat fair, that's not changed. What's likely to be happening is that you are tribal, which means your armies are composed of light troops and archers, and you face feudal armies that have heavy troops and cavalry - in that case, the light foot armies tend to lose - you have to outnumber the other force significantly in order to win. Otherwise two armies of equal mix (so, basically tribal vs tribal or feudal vs feudal) will work "as intended" where 1000 should be winning most of the time against 400. It's still possible to lose but that's RNG for you.

KoRnKoB posted...
how many counties in a duchy

Usually 2-3 at least but may be as many as, say, 6. You have to check each duchy individually (go to a county the from there, you can go to its duchy, or open the de jure duchies map mode.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

KoRnKoB
6 months ago#10
vlado_e posted...
To be somewhat fair, that's not changed. What's likely to be happening is that you are tribal, which means your armies are composed of light troops and archers, and you face feudal armies that have heavy troops and cavalry - in that case, the light foot armies tend to lose - you have to outnumber the other force significantly in order to win. Otherwise two armies of equal mix (so, basically tribal vs tribal or feudal vs feudal) will work "as intended" where 1000 should be winning most of the time against 400. It's still possible to lose but that's RNG for you.

Hmm... Nope, playing as a feudal lord, I chose King Murchad of Mumu at present, as that is the scenario most 'tutorial' vids go with. Was still losing to armies half my size though. I've basically concluded that having Commanders with a martial skill less than 10 is just throwing troops in the bin.

What is slightly annoying, is troop levies. How do you increase the troops you have at your disposal? Because, I discovered the levy is RNG, and you can start the game as a kingdom, surrounded by tiny little counties that have a lot more troops than you. Besides mercenaries, which cost an arm and a leg, how do I gather more than my current maximum of troops to push my de jure claims? Also, what is required to offer vassalization? It's been available a couple times, but it always says "This demand will not be accepted" even though all conditions are met on the checklist.

I had to reset one of my earlier games because the Kingdom of Mumu only had 400 troops at its disposal, even with vassal levies! My neigbours were all in the 1000 range, which is kinda silly considering I'm a kingdom with more lands, and they're an independent county or such.

vlado_e posted...
Usually 2-3 at least but may be as many as, say, 6. You have to check each duchy individually (go to a county the from there, you can go to its duchy, or open the de jure duchies map mode.

Yea the problem there is, I sometimes can't see any personal link to me or my kingdom in that screen, yet a bubble of the screen is still telling me I can create a title, or push a weak claim on it etc.

Of course, trying to 'claim' is never accepted, so it might as well be greyed out 100% of the time... I had a weak claim on another part of Ireland show up, so I pushed it. When I won however, it just put some other guy in charge... And I've not gained a damned thing! No lands, no gold... And he won't accept vassalization. He is really happy with me, sure, but I can't really see how this benefits me other than not having to worry about him killing me (though, he still might because of the RNG lol).

Is there a way to request gifts or request help from people with high favor? I've spent most part of a day trying to figure what I gained by helping him push his claim, and all I got is my rulers death and the 'joy' of playing as his heavily despised son lol.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I just got Crusader Kings 2 Collection, a few questions!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived