This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GPU prices are gross, 1060 or 970?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GPU prices are gross, 1060 or 970?

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
3 months ago#21
The problem with used is you have no idea how long it will last, it might have been used constantly in a bitcoin dungeon for 4 years. I have a 970 that is 2 years old and I've gamed a lot on it and it started being noisy and getting rather hot in the last few months so I got a 1070 to replace it. I think used is ok if it's someone you know, and you know whether they're a bitcoiner or not or a heavy gamer or just an occasional gamer, but otherwise it's probably best to buy new.

As for new cards you've probably noticed that a new 970 is just about as expensive as a 1060 if not more so, because they don't really make them anymore now that the 10XX cards are out. So you're kind of stuck getting a 10XX card if you want something new that is actually worth the price.

Just get a 1060. I'm pretty sure I've seen them for a bit less than $300 USD but I could be wrong, I haven't looked at gpu prices for a few months. I got a Gigabyte 1070 that was just under $400.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

User Info: DEADLY_HANGMAN

DEADLY_HANGMAN
3 months ago#22
Alright, thanks a bunch for helping me defeat my better judgment dudes. I have a nice payload on the way and I'm excited to see some new life in my dinosaur. I'll probably report back in a week once I have Windows reinstalled and see how Nier performs vs my 670.

https://i.imgur.com/dS71CKr.png
Deadly is like the Kanye West of this board. - Goldninja

User Info: R_Jackal

R_Jackal
3 months ago#23
DEADLY_HANGMAN posted...
Alright, thanks a bunch for helping me defeat my better judgment dudes. I have a nice payload on the way and I'm excited to see some new life in my dinosaur. I'll probably report back in a week once I have Windows reinstalled and see how Nier performs vs my 670.

https://i.imgur.com/dS71CKr.png

Sadly, Nier is going to run like garbage regardless. Devs abandoned the PC version near immediately because of lower than projected sales.

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
3 months ago#24
you won't be disappointed

Nier is a relative bare bones as far as ports go so be sure to install the far mod.

You will have no problems at 1080p
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

DEADLY_HANGMAN
3 months ago#25
R_Jackal posted...
Sadly, Nier is going to run like garbage regardless. Devs abandoned the PC version near immediately because of lower than projected sales.

If it still runs like trash I will quit PC gaming and hide the password to my Steam account on an abandoned fan-owned Pokémon Diamond/Pearl message board that was poorly put together using Freewebs in 2007.

User Info: R_Jackal

R_Jackal
3 months ago#26
DEADLY_HANGMAN posted...
R_Jackal posted...

If it still runs like trash I will quit PC gaming and hide the password to my Steam account on an abandoned fan-owned Pokémon Diamond/Pearl message board that was poorly put together using Freewebs in 2007.

Well, there's apparently a fan fix now that works quite well. SnakePlisken94 mentioned it. I wound up refunding Nier and just getting it on PS4 so I can't say how well it works, but the reception on the forums sounds like it's borderline a miracle for the game.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 months ago#27
iemerg_ posted...
zhenghan posted...
the 1060 3GB is much cheaper for two reasons

1) not ideal for running PUBG @ ultra, the hottest game around
and
2) about to be obsolete for mining ethereum, since in a couple of months the 3GB vram won't be enough for deciphering the blockchain

who plays pubg @ ultra? I play it at lowest settings on a 1080 lol,.

Does it have anything to do with seeing people hiding in bushes?
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 months ago#28
sfcalimari posted...
The problem with used is you have no idea how long it will last, it might have been used constantly in a bitcoin dungeon for 4 years. I have a 970 that is 2 years old and I've gamed a lot on it and it started being noisy and getting rather hot in the last few months so I got a 1070 to replace it. I think used is ok if it's someone you know, and you know whether they're a bitcoiner or not or a heavy gamer or just an occasional gamer, but otherwise it's probably best to buy new.

As for new cards you've probably noticed that a new 970 is just about as expensive as a 1060 if not more so, because they don't really make them anymore now that the 10XX cards are out. So you're kind of stuck getting a 10XX card if you want something new that is actually worth the price.

Just get a 1060. I'm pretty sure I've seen them for a bit less than $300 USD but I could be wrong, I haven't looked at gpu prices for a few months. I got a Gigabyte 1070 that was just under $400.

1070's proper MSRP is about $380. Too bad the lowest I could find was $430. So I decided to just get a 1080 for MSRP. Ya it never went down in price but it didn't go up either.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
3 months ago#29
GPU prices are a bit much, especially for amd stuff. I plan on waiting until march/april and preorder whatever mid range option comes along before it has a chance to get too high. That's the plan at least.

You made the right choice between the 1060 and 970 tho.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

DEADLY_HANGMAN
3 months ago#30
Quick update on this issue. My new parts came: exciting. Installing new parts: not so exciting.

The MSI 1060 has so much metal on it that the tool-less PCI mechanism of my case cannot clamp the card's PCI bracket. This mechanism isn't removable... great. That was my first issue. I also came to the knowledge that I was out of SATA cables, had to make an emergency run.

Eventually I realized that I accidentally ordered the wrong RAM. I bought silverline 1333MHz but I actually had blackline 1600MHz in my computer. Newegg wants to charge me a restocking fee to return it, so all in all it'd cost me about $30 extra to buy the better RAM. Luckily these silverline sticks seem to run 1600MHz CL9 with no problem, that's good enough for me. CBA... Measure twice cut once.

Finally, the U2417M has two bright subpixels. UltraSharps are covered by Dell's mega warranty so replacing it shouldn't be an issue, but I'm quite disappointed. The backlight bleed is also notably bad for anyone interested. The small bezel is very pretty though.

Despite all this pain, I ran a quick test with Nier. Whereas with medium-low settings, upscaling from 1680x1050, I could not keep 40FPS (and hit 20's in many cases), I now have the game absolutely maxed out, 1920x1080, and 2xMSAA and a constant 60FPS. God bless America.

I'll be back once everything is in order.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GPU prices are gross, 1060 or 970?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived