This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GPU prices are gross, 1060 or 970?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GPU prices are gross, 1060 or 970?

User Info: rildomein

rildomein
3 months ago#11
iemerg_ posted...
who plays pubg @ ultra? I play it at lowest settings on a 1080 lol,.

Yeah, I hear it's easier to spot people when you do that. Somewhat of an advantage.
[[[[[WATCH THE POWER]]]]
Youtube channel: joshlovaca

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 months ago#12
iemerg_ posted...
hunter1235 posted...
I was in the same predicament for my other build, I ended up getting a 1060 3gb from reddit/hardwareswap for $164, the 3 gig performs within 10% of the 6 gig model for these days about 33-50% cost savings ($150-200 vs. $260-300)

Yeah do that same test on a resolution higher than 1080 and the 6GB will stomp the 3GB, also games like Shadow of Mordor that require 6GB textures will not run on a 1060.

yea you're right, i don't see many streamers (if any) playing on high settings with this game
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: juscallmeehx

juscallmeehx
3 months ago#13
The 3.5 GB of GRam from the 970 with bite you in the butt.

Source, my 970.

Get the 1060 6GB.
It's not the hardware in your hands that matters, but the software in your hearts.

User Info: Darkanagar

Darkanagar
3 months ago#14
1060 is a legendary gpu for call center gods, buy if you're not a real gamer like me.

User Info: DEADLY_HANGMAN

DEADLY_HANGMAN
3 months ago#15
zhenghan posted...
holy s*** it's deadly hangman xD. blast from the past yo!

I'd get the 1060 6GB btw.

Zheng! Long time bud, good to see you around.

neroAngelo posted...
Are you using the FAR mod?

Yes. Even with global illumination at medium, shadows on medium, and upscaling from 1600x900 (msaa off too), I can barely keep 40FPS. Dips below 30 are not totally uncommon. The 670 is below the minimum spec for the game, which is a 770, so I'm not totally surprised.

iemerg_ posted...

TC the 1070 is only $100 more than the 1060 so why is that NOT a viable option? it's a MUCH FASTER card.

I thought about this, but I already didn't want to drop $300 on a card and the 1070's I see are all around $500. I'm not totally unhappy with my 670 as it is- Human Revolution was hard to run but I didn't mind toning down the settings a bit to get a better framerate. It helps that Deus Ex is rather slow paced, so I could get away with dips in the frames. Nier, on the other hand, is frustrating to play when it gets really choppy especially with the settings already so toned down.

My computer was built in 2010 and last upgraded in 2013. I'm still rocking a 2500k. I'm going to give it one last hurrah and toss some more RAM in there with a newer card and then probably build new in a few years. Plus, I only play at 1080p. I might talk myself into a 1060, but a 1070.. nah.
Deadly is like the Kanye West of this board. - Goldninja

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
3 months ago#16
zhenghan posted...

+1 to all that
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: saltedham

saltedham
3 months ago#17
iemerg_ posted...
zhenghan posted...
the 1060 3GB is much cheaper for two reasons

1) not ideal for running PUBG @ ultra, the hottest game around
and
2) about to be obsolete for mining ethereum, since in a couple of months the 3GB vram won't be enough for deciphering the blockchain

who plays pubg @ ultra? I play it at lowest settings on a 1080 lol,.

me. at 1440 usually get around 110 fps, higher when in a building, lower when driving around
everything ultra but
shadows very low (biggest fps killer)
effects very low
post process medium (the sharpening setting is tied to pp. its turned on at medium and up)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lmmy8zBRvSEexBgOT3LRJOzmKN4N73Io3JYmRZA82Ao/edit#gid=0
(X)_(X)
SUSANO'O!!!!!

User Info: PhazonReborn

PhazonReborn
3 months ago#18
As an owner of a 1060 6gb, get that

Good value, decent performance
The Phazon you know and trust since 2004

User Info: Pox

Pox
3 months ago#19
Born Lucky posted...
zhenghan posted...

+1 to all that
Hokay so, here is ze Gamefaqs...

User Info: ToastyOne

ToastyOne
3 months ago#20
Are those Canadian dollars? A used Gtx 970 should in no way be more than $150 US.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GPU prices are gross, 1060 or 970?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived