This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Youtuber has massive fight with Launchbox, threatens to distribute Bigbox free!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Youtuber has massive fight with Launchbox, threatens to distribute Bigbox free!

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
6 months ago#1
So I just got this wall of text email from Launchbox. Apparently it was sent to the 200,000 people using Launchbox. I can't even get it to fit here. But here's a link to the forum version...

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/42213-we-need-your-help-were-being-attacked-and-threatened/

Here's the TLDR version: Apparently some guy sells hard drives full of ____. People take issue with that because not only is he charging for ____, he's bundling it with like full versions of Hyperspin and Launchbox. Well in internet forum tradition, members of the Launchbox forum got together and attacked this dude's crappy YouTube channel (like 1,000 subs) and false flagged all his videos. That prompted this wonderful exchange of emails...

YouTuber
Not sure if you seen what went on yesterday, but apparently your admins are starting trouble for me on youtube... again. As they have once again enacted fake takedown notices on my youtube channel. I suggest you have a little chat with them and ask them to refrain from doing so now in the future. Or ill be forced to retaliate. I don't want to, as I don't like screwing with peoples revenue, just like I don't like people screwing with mine. It goes both ways here.

But just to let you know, as of last night, because of your forum moderators. Which completely deleted the thread I was posting in. I have a full paid for URL ready to go, and I will offer bigbox for free, in its current form. I have not 1 but 2 unlimited licenses, and ill put together a flawless 2tb image. With bigbox, and ill just release it. Server seeded an all.

You will ether have to go free, which I'm sure you don't want to do, or, if you can ban the license, youll have to do that, but not before 5000+ get your software. Without paying for it.
And this will not affect me in the least. I am going up to 24 tbs. I live overseas now, etc

Your move man.
Chris
Launchbox
Chris, I do not appreciate being threatened, and I will take legal action if necessary. The primary difference between your situation and mine is that I am on proper legal ground, and I will use that situation to my advantage.

I also have a community of more than 200,000 people who won't hesitate to retaliate. Your threats are being sent to my lawyer, and I will publicize them if we can't work things out.

I have no intention of hurting your business, though I do not want my product included in it. I would like to propose that we simply just stay away from each other and do not mention or have anything to do with each others' work. I will interpret a non-response as you continuing to pursue all of this with ill intentions.

You can read all the emails in the link, but it goes downhill from there. Personally I think Launchbox done f***ed up. Forget about the fact that he threatened to turn all 200,000 users loose on this idiot, Launchbox just emailed every single customer and told them a free version of Bigbox is about to hit the net. BRILLIANT move Jason. You just shot yourself in the face to avoid getting shot in the foot.

*The "___" added because who the hell knows what GameFAQs is going to mod me for next. So I'm not even typing the word out. But you know the word. Sort of like RAM, but not.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
6 months ago#2
What exactly is Launch/Bigbox and why does it take a few TBs of space?
Is this basically some guy flaunting his piracy abilities?
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/

ClunkerSlim
6 months ago#3
Black_Assassin posted...
What exactly is Launch/Bigbox and why does it take a few TBs of space?
Is this basically some guy flaunting his piracy abilities?

Launchbox manages emulators. It's a free front end similar to Hyperspin. BigBox is the paid version of Launchbox that includes more features.

It doesn't take up TBs of space... unless someone is illegally distributing it with ___s.

User Info: MirMiros

MirMiros
6 months ago#4
I'm fully with launchbox on this one. I have no issue with people pirating s***, but taking someone else's program and selling them for a profit is a big NO in my book.

ClunkerSlim
6 months ago#5
MirMiros posted...
I'm fully with launchbox on this one. I have no issue with people pirating s***, but taking someone else's program and selling them for a profit is a big NO in my book.

You don't think they lost the moral high ground when they threatened to turn 200,000 users loose on this guy? That's some Keemstar level s***, and it's how people get swatted.

User Info: Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow
6 months ago#6
What's more is that Launchbox had nothing to do with the takedowns. If you actually read the note, it's the devs of Hyperspin that FAIRLY requested the takedown, as they're the copyright owners of the Hyperspin software this a****** is illegally selling.

There is no "false flagging" of his videos. What's more, he's going way over the line with *selling* ROMs, some of which are for current systems.

(I may have sent Nintendo a link to his website earlier today. Did you know they have a email just for piracy reports?)
I wish I made $400k a year to spam Twitter with nonsense and go golfing in Florida every other weekend....

ClunkerSlim
6 months ago#7
Dawnshadow posted...
What's more is that Launchbox had nothing to do with the takedowns. If you actually read the note, it's the devs of Hyperspin that FAIRLY requested the takedown, as they're the copyright owners of the Hyperspin software this a****** is illegally selling.

There is no "false flagging" of his videos. What's more, he's going way over the line with *selling* ROMs, some of which are for current systems.

(I may have sent Nintendo a link to his website earlier today. Did you know they have a email just for piracy reports?)

Well the rumor is that wasn't actually Hyperspin, it was someone claiming to be Hyperspin. I don't know. Apparently he had been false flagged before and the instructions on how to do it were still in the forums and he assumed someone was using that exact method again.

User Info: MirMiros

MirMiros
6 months ago#8
ClunkerSlim posted...
MirMiros posted...

You don't think they lost the moral high ground when they threatened to turn 200,000 users loose on this guy? That's some Keemstar level s***, and it's how people get swatted.

When you are as low as someone selling pirated s*** for a profit, youd have to loose a LOT more moral high ground than that.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
6 months ago#9
MirMiros posted...

When you are as low as someone selling pirated s*** for a profit, youd have to loose a LOT more moral high ground than that.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

ClunkerSlim
6 months ago#10
JKatarn posted...
MirMiros posted...

Fair enough. But isn’t Launchbox indirectly profiting from pirated games? And not just Atari games. They have setups for PS3 and Wii U emulation. And sure they’re safe from a legal standpoint by not providing roms or claiming it’s for “back up” purposes or whatever. But morally let’s be real, they’re making money off people pirating games too. They just don’t sell roms.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Youtuber has massive fight with Launchbox, threatens to distribute Bigbox free!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived