This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Youtuber has massive fight with Launchbox, threatens to distribute Bigbox free!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Youtuber has massive fight with Launchbox, threatens to distribute Bigbox free!

User Info: DivineWraith

DivineWraith
8 months ago#11
They should both sue him. One for copyright infringement, the other for undue malicious damage.

User Info: MirMiros

MirMiros
8 months ago#12
ClunkerSlim posted...
JKatarn posted...
MirMiros posted...

When you are as low as someone selling pirated s*** for a profit, youd have to loose a LOT more moral high ground than that.

Fair enough. But isn’t Launchbox indirectly profiting from pirated games? And not just Atari games. They have setups for PS3 and Wii U emulation. And sure they’re safe from a legal standpoint by not providing roms or claiming it’s for “back up” purposes or whatever. But morally let’s be real, they’re making money off people pirating games too. They just don’t sell roms.

A: I already said I have no issue with pirating
B: Like you said they don't sell actual roms
C: Backup is a legit purpose. I own pretty much all of the PS2 games I emulate for example.

User Info: Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow
8 months ago#13
ClunkerSlim posted...
JKatarn posted...
MirMiros posted...

When you are as low as someone selling pirated s*** for a profit, youd have to loose a LOT more moral high ground than that.

Fair enough. But isn’t Launchbox indirectly profiting from pirated games? And not just Atari games. They have setups for PS3 and Wii U emulation. And sure they’re safe from a legal standpoint by not providing roms or claiming it’s for “back up” purposes or whatever. But morally let’s be real, they’re making money off people pirating games too. They just don’t sell roms.

It's perfectly legal to drop the disc in the disc drive and emulate it.

For that matter, emulation is legal so long as everything is clean room reverse engineered. They're not distributing anyone else's IP. And there are ways to obtain ROMs legitimately. For example, if you buy Sega Genesis/Megadrive games on Steam, you get a ROM you can play in any emulator! Just have to point to the install folder.
I wish I made $400k a year to spam Twitter with nonsense and go golfing in Florida every other weekend....

User Info: Rolen47

Rolen47
8 months ago#14
Don't care about the drama, but the guy is an idiot for selling copyrighted material he has no rights to.

User Info: -CJF-

-CJF-
8 months ago#15
It's kind of a joke either way... and just to be clear, I think launchbox is closer to being right from a moral standpoint (only by a hair) but:

(1) Which 200,000 users is he referring to and what kind of retaliation? Because I feel like this threat weakens his message. If he is referring to his userbase then that is a joke because most of them have the tech level of a potato and wouldn't be capable of doing anything and the ones that are probably won't care.

(2) Good luck with the legal action when you explain what your product does, I know it's technically legal but it's going to be hard to explain, and if the guy really does live in a different country then enforcing copyright law could be difficult to impossible depending

User Info: Dyshonest

Dyshonest
8 months ago#16
What the hell is this? A crappier version of RetroArch or something?

-CJF-
8 months ago#17
Dyshonest posted...
What the hell is this? A crappier version of RetroArch or something?

I think it's an emulation frontend for launching games. Similar to Hyperspin or Steam Big Picture if you prefer.

-CJF-
8 months ago#18
Dawnshadow posted...
ClunkerSlim posted...
JKatarn posted...
MirMiros posted...

It's perfectly legal to drop the disc in the disc drive and emulate it.

For that matter, emulation is legal so long as everything is clean room reverse engineered. They're not distributing anyone else's IP. And there are ways to obtain ROMs legitimately. For example, if you buy Sega Genesis/Megadrive games on Steam, you get a ROM you can play in any emulator! Just have to point to the install folder.

But keeping it real, most people don't need or want a frontend for the small amount of games you can get legally which basically amounts to anything without encryption that can be extracted from the cart and anything sold on Steam. I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that for everything else, including most disc based games, it is illegal to extract the roms because doing so requires breaking the encryption. Since the point of a frontend is to allow quick launching of games with a nice interface, playing from the disc is not really something that needs to be considered.

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
8 months ago#19
I'd like to use bigbox. Seems convoluted
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
8 months ago#20
MirMiros posted...
I'm fully with launchbox on this one. I have no issue with people pirating

You have no issue with people stealing other people's work?

That pretty much negates anything else you have to say.
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Youtuber has massive fight with Launchbox, threatens to distribute Bigbox free!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived