This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you ever hardlock a game to 30fps on purpose?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you ever hardlock a game to 30fps on purpose?

User Info: MrSprings

MrSprings
4 months ago#21
tearast posted...
I keep it at 30 FPS since it feels a lot more cinematic

Poe's law folks...
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."- GC

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
4 months ago#22
GTA 3 and Vice City doesn't like anything past 30FPS. San Andreas doesn't like anything past 25FPS.

There used to be a bug in GTA 4 in the final mission where you need to tap space bar like crazy but it was impossible to do with FPS higher than 30. There is also a bug with the cutscenes in the game where it relies on FPS to count and trigger certain actions. Such as the end of Brucie's mission, you are delivering a car to his mechanic, the garage door closes before you're outside if you have too high of FPS so the cutscene never ends and you softlock at walking at a closed garage door. You can't skip this cutscene.

Similar to GTA 4, Sleeping Dogs also has one of those QTE in its finale that is impossible to do with high FPS.
i7-6700K @ Stock | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI 79hz
e7470 | i5-6300U || Surface Pro 2 i5 || OnePlus 5t || iPad Air 2 9.0

User Info: ix_tesla

ix_tesla
4 months ago#23
I keep Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 at 30 because the game gets a little faster, QTEs are easier and the substitution meter refills faster, making the game easier. In the Boruto expansion, 60 FPS desyncs the audio from the video in cutscenes. The 60 FPS version of Storm 3 lacks the SSAA option so I tend to go with the 30 FPS version of that one as well.
Glory to Mankind

User Info: grand_commander

grand_commander
4 months ago#24
MrSprings posted...
tearast posted...
I keep it at 30 FPS since it feels a lot more cinematic

Poe's law folks...

Judging from how nobody took the bait I'd say people sniffed that out quite well.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
4 months ago#25
tearast posted...
I only generally use 60 FPS for competitive gaming like CSGO or Starcraft. For singleplayer stuff, I keep it at 30 FPS since it feels a lot more cinematic and not as arcadey.

Man this was a great way to close my night. Classic!
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: MacrossSpecial

MacrossSpecial
4 months ago#26
Yeah, dead space 1 and 2.

Not only does it lose its cinematic quality above 30 fps, but the physics of the game are locked to the frame rate. You can't advance in certain points in the games unless you limit frames.
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 months ago#27
I have a gsync monitor so I don't really lock my fps to anything. I turn vsync on and forget about it. The only game I've ever messed with the framerate intentionally on is Dead Space because it's actually legitimately unplayable (no sarcasm whatsoever) at 30fps with m/kb, at least for me and my setup. Other people seem to have varying degrees of being able to make it playable. It also bugs out if you don't have vsync enabled and vsync also has a 30fps cap included in this particular game. To get my fps above 30 I ended up using the nVidia control panel to force normal vsync so I could play at 60
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Tony_Biggie_Pun

Tony_Biggie_Pun
4 months ago#28
I used to do this with GTA 4

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
4 months ago#29
Hell no.
Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI B350 Tomahawk | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync
Nintendo Switch

User Info: stav8

stav8
4 months ago#30
If your not on HDMI 2.0 on both devices (namely the tv/monitor the issue here) 4K 30fps is its maximum output so hardlocking here would make sense to have better frame pacing
NZXT Stormforce 240:16GB DDR4 RAM:Core i5 6600k: GTX 1060 6 GB: 2TB SSHD:2TB HDD:128 GB SSD:AS ROCK Z170 EXTREME 4; CORSAIR 750W: THERMALTAKE 3.0 LIQUID COOLING
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you ever hardlock a game to 30fps on purpose?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived