This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you ever hardlock a game to 30fps on purpose?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you ever hardlock a game to 30fps on purpose?

User Info: Triple_Aitch

Triple_Aitch
2 months ago#1
Just wondering as it seems most people in the PC community absolutely can't stand 30 fps.

Reason I ask is I'm currently playing through GTA V on a GTX 970. Powerful enough for 30 fps at 4k on high but not powerful enough for 4k 60. However, this being a big open world game with huge environments I really prefer the resolution bump to the 60 fps experience. I also prefer to lock the frame rate so its not all over the place.

Anyone else ever hardlock games to 30 to push 4k? I'm mainly talking about single player experiences as I'm sure everyone will prefer the higher frame rate for multiplayer.
"It's going to be legend... Wait for It...

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
2 months ago#2
The old skyrim yes lol it hates fps past 60.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: tearast

tearast
2 months ago#3
I only generally use 60 FPS for competitive gaming like CSGO or Starcraft. For singleplayer stuff, I keep it at 30 FPS since it feels a lot more cinematic and not as arcadey.

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
2 months ago#4
Only so I can do side by side comparisons to prove to console gamers that their frame rate is inferior. Since most didn't get the memo with The Last of Us Remastered having 30 and 60 fps options, and it was glaringly obvious to me.

I often feel ill will and disgust for those who say 30fps is as good as 60fps, or that they can't tell the difference.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xgsy6X
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
2 months ago#5
Don't game in 4k but for 4k and my system was struggling? Yes, I would. But aside from that, no.

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
2 months ago#6
Nioh on my 670. It was really annoying having it constantly jump from 60 down to the 40s and back, super stuttery. Too bad it doesn't support SLI either.
Can't wait for Volta to finally justify upgrading.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#7
I prefer 45fps over 30. Which is handy since the 970 has always been a 1080 45fps ultra setting card.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#8
No, but I did try hardlocking to 60fps, but with having a gsync monitor it works better in just letting the GPU run as fast as it wants.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
2 months ago#9
i don't. to me 60 fps is more important than 4k. pushing 75 fps and 1440 is my goal on pc

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#10
wentzelot posted...
i don't. to me 60 fps is more important than 4k. pushing 75 fps and 1440 is my goal on pc

With max graphical settings of course. I typically get around 100 with dips going down to 60. But it usually doesn't drop below 60 unless memory leaks start happening. Which in that case I reset the game and all is good again.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you ever hardlock a game to 30fps on purpose?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived