This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
5 months ago#61
SinisterSlay posted...
But it did replace graphics and sound drivers in the middle of a game.

You can turn those sorts of updates off entirely. I have. Win10 updates only does Win10 updates.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
5 months ago#62
SinisterSlay posted...
Shouldn't ever be forced,

This. It's my computer, if I don't want to update, I will not. Microsoft can piss off

SinisterSlay posted...
I have 2 SSDs noob, still takes too long.

This too. My update yesterday took almost 45 minutes for me to be able to use my computer.

I have 2 SSDs (one of which Windows is installed on obviously), and 120 megabit per second download speeds on internet.

I work from home, having my computer tied up for nearly an hour is 100% not okay. Having my computer shut down and restart is also 100% not okay. I have like 500 windows open to different software and websites for work related stuff that gets thrown out the window when my computer turns off.

I go for months and months without turning my computer off until Windows updates screw me over. Every single one has broken something else too. Like yesterdays decided to reset my default sound devices for no apparent reason.

nominturddaddy posted...
Holy s***, I'm pro-Win10 but some of the responses to OP are reminders of how low my faith in humanity should be.

This. I usually defend Windows 10, but their policy on updates are flat out trash.

And then you have the total derps in this thread saying "HURR DURR, INSTALL THEM IN ADVANCE THEN"

No, piss off. It takes me an hour or two to get all of my work stuff back open and to the correct screens, and every freaking Windows update has screwed up SOMETHING that I have to spend an extra 30 minutes trying to troubleshoot.

The one yesterday decided it was going to try to uninstall freaking Fences and Rainmeter. Microsoft deciding it is going to uninstall my software for me is absolutely, 100% not going to happen
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
5 months ago#63
Ilishe posted...
Don't get it...

Windows always asks me when to update and always does it when I shutdown.

A lot of people never shut down their computer, and for good reason. I only ever use sleep mode. I couldn't care less if Windows is crying because it's out of date, I'll fix any issues that come up because of it. Not that I ever even have issues because of Windows being a few months behind
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
5 months ago#64
Microsoft took a page from Apple's book and somehow made it worse/more annoying.

I mean I'm still on 10.3.3 but a lot of people gave in and upgraded to ios 11 which is inferior unless you have the latest hardware. (par for the course)
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
5 months ago#65
nominturddaddy posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
But it did replace graphics and sound drivers in the middle of a game.

You can turn those sorts of updates off entirely. I have. Win10 updates only does Win10 updates.

I have them off, only one that works is the group policy change, and that breaks even inserting a new usb drive. Even with the option in driver updates off, it still does it.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
5 months ago#66
Knighted Dragon posted...
I go for months and months without turning my computer off until Windows updates screw me over. Every single one has broken something else too. Like yesterdays decided to reset my default sound devices for no apparent reason.

Happens to me every major update, including 3 times yesterday. Twice in game. And it picks a random device each time.
2 days ago it decided to switch from my speakers to my monitors sound. Then last night it decided in the middle of a game, to switch from speakers to the giant surround sound in the other room, blowing the ears off everyone in there is it turned on at 50% volume since they were watching the old miracle on 34th Street in there
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
5 months ago#67
nominturddaddy posted...
Recently? I haven't had to reboot Win10 *NOW* to apply updates in over a year.

Mine did it within the restriction window (times the computer should be considered "in use" and not updated) just last week. Right after I started up - I got logged into Windows, started to open stuff, and got dumped back out in a reboot that installed updates. I have no idea why it couldn't have installed the updates during the initial boot and had to reboot almost immediately. That is not how it should be working though.

nominturddaddy posted...
Vs. Windows 7 where every updated wanted a reboot and that box would pop up to remind you, alttabbing you out of whatever you were doing, so basically "update download reboot now mfer". Not the case with Win10 since it got out of its beta phase sometime in Summer of 2016.

I never once had Windows 7 tab me out of a game for a reboot, much less force a reboot on me mid-game. Windows 10 has done both to me - tabbed me out for an update notice, and straight up dropped me from mid-game to reboot/update.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
5 months ago#68
I don't know what to say then, because I don't just say this, I genuinely haven't had any issues with Win10 for over a year. I even did a reinstall yesterday to get rid of the third-party DS4 driver (it left a mark somewhere and it was easier to do a 15 minute reinstall than two other "easier" methods), then it took me five minutes to get my Win10 set back up the way I like it and back to business.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
5 months ago#69
I believe not everyone does, and I don't have as many issues as I did when Windows 10 first launched, but obviously not all its problems are sorted out yet, or this topic wouldn't exist. And it's much less disruptive to have it decide to reboot/update right after a cold boot as opposed to mid-game (which again, has happened to me before), but it's still obnoxious as hell how heavy-handed MS has gotten.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: VoightKent

VoightKent
5 months ago#70
Orestes417 posted...
There's a high correlation between people who half ass their system maintenance and people who complain about things like this happening. It's not a coincidence. If you'd pick a time you weren't using your system at least once a month and do the goddamned updates manually you wouldn't have these problems.

Holy.. I WANT MORE
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived