This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
5 months ago#51
lubmelubyou posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Madmicky933 posted...
I always have it disabled.

Dude, just open Task Manager, click on the Services tab, now click on Open Services at the bottom.
Services window will pop up. Find Windows Update, right-click & open Properties. Then switch from Automatic to Disabled. Apply and OK.

DONE. You don't have to worry about updates ever again unless YOU want to enable it and have them.

Geez. I don't know how more people don't know about this. But hopefully this helps you and others who read this.

Flipped itself back on 3 times in a day. This doesn't work anymore.

Go your internet connection on taskbar, click your connection and select properties. Turn on metered connection. You will never get any updates unless you turn this back on.

I'll do this next.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Rosencroitz

Rosencroitz
5 months ago#52
It's amazing that there are people who are so malcontent with simply being cuckolds in their personal relationships that they resort to the practice with everyday objects, such as their computers.

"It's okay, Microsoft... I know I was using the computer and in the middle of something, but it's all yours! Do with it what you please!"

Certain posters in this thread and on this board resemble the losers writing that garbage far too strongly; "letting other guys f*** my wife made our relationship stronger, and this is why you should have an """""""open""""""" marriage too!"
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.

User Info: Rexdragon125

Rexdragon125
5 months ago#53
Microsoft fanboys falling back to their "blame the user" copout

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
5 months ago#54
MarceloSampaio posted...
Sad seeing people defending this horribly disrespectful practice...

Anyway, I'm glad I'm on Windows 7 now. I tried to like 10. I really did. But it just made me too sad and angry. Good thing companies aren't enforcing Windows 10 yet, so I'll keep using 7 for a long while.

OMG W7 is old therefore sucks tinfoil hat much hur dur.... thats sarcasm btw

User Info: GunmaN1905

GunmaN1905
5 months ago#55
They somehow f***ed up a lot of things in the last update.

For example, I'm a CSGO player.
I don't play CSGO at 1080p.
Just like 5 days ago everything was fine, I was tabbing instantly basically, even though my PC had to work through different resolutions.
But over the last few days it's been really bad. Every time I tab back into the game, it freezes for like 3 seconds.

Another thing that's even worse is saturation toggler.
Since I turn up the saturation in CSGO, I have this simple tool which just changes saturation value every time I press the hotkey.
But now it's just terrible. My screen freezes for 3 seconds every time I press the hotkey, even when I'm not in the game.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
5 months ago#56
Ilishe posted...
Don't get it...

Windows always asks me when to update and always does it when I shutdown.

Likewise.
I've gotten the impression that most users who do have issues are those that go ahead and disable services or use 3rd party tools.

It's the same when I update my drivers. I had more driver issues back when I regularly used tools like Driversweeper. Nowadays I just resort to DDU if I actually do get driver issues.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

SinisterSlay
5 months ago#57
GunmaN1905 posted...
They somehow f***ed up a lot of things in the last update.

For example, I'm a CSGO player.
I don't play CSGO at 1080p.
Just like 5 days ago everything was fine, I was tabbing instantly basically, even though my PC had to work through different resolutions.
But over the last few days it's been really bad. Every time I tab back into the game, it freezes for like 3 seconds.

Another thing that's even worse is saturation toggler.
Since I turn up the saturation in CSGO, I have this simple tool which just changes saturation value every time I press the hotkey.
But now it's just terrible. My screen freezes for 3 seconds every time I press the hotkey, even when I'm not in the game.

Actually weirdly I'm seeing better performance in games. But it's hard to know what exactly caused it.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
5 months ago#58
Orestes417 posted...
You're right it shouldn't start updating during use.

And yet it does. TC here is far from the only person who has ever been dumped out of an active game, or from doing other active work, because the system just decides to reboot itself and force update installation. I've also pointed out before how at least with me, there was *not* sufficient advanced warning, although that was relatively early after Windows 10 released.

In a business setting, I can at least understand it. But in a person's home, on their own private, personal computer, if they choose not to update for a year, that should absolutely be their choice. Microsoft can nag them all they want, and if they have other problems as a result of not updating, that's on them. But it should absolutely 100% be their choice, rather than being kicked out of the middle of whatever they're doing.

Supposedly Windows "shouldn't" start updating during use. But it happens. All the damn time. It does not work as intended. I've had it happen to me even though I actually do keep my machine fairly up to date.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
5 months ago#59
KillerTruffle posted...
Orestes417 posted...
You're right it shouldn't start updating during use.

And yet it does. TC here is far from the only person who has ever been dumped out of an active game, or from doing other active work, because the system just decides to reboot itself and force update installation. I've also pointed out before how at least with me, there was *not* sufficient advanced warning, although that was relatively early after Windows 10 released.

In a business setting, I can at least understand it. But in a person's home, on their own private, personal computer, if they choose not to update for a year, that should absolutely be their choice. Microsoft can nag them all they want, and if they have other problems as a result of not updating, that's on them. But it should absolutely 100% be their choice, rather than being kicked out of the middle of whatever they're doing.

Supposedly Windows "shouldn't" start updating during use. But it happens. All the damn time. It does not work as intended. I've had it happen to me even though I actually do keep my machine fairly up to date.

Recently? I haven't had to reboot Win10 *NOW* to apply updates in over a year. Sometimes when I turn it on the next morning it brings up the "Installing Updates" screen, but again I didn't even know anything had downloaded at all. This rarely happens but when it does it installs so fast it's a quick blip before back to regular loading. Most of them download and apply while I'm using the system and I don't notice anything until it notifies me. Which I have to go out of my way to see because I've even customized my Win10 to not make that hugely apparent to me.

Vs. Windows 7 where every updated wanted a reboot and that box would pop up to remind you, alttabbing you out of whatever you were doing, so basically "update download reboot now mfer". Not the case with Win10 since it got out of its beta phase sometime in Summer of 2016.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

SinisterSlay
5 months ago#60
To be fair it didn't force a reboot. But it did replace graphics and sound drivers in the middle of a game. So it still installed updates without permission. It should just wait for a shutdown to install, and not install while the computer is obviously in use.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived