This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#11
He can choose to make poor life choices and I can choose to call him on it. Funny how that works.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: neroAngelo

neroAngelo
4 months ago#12
Yea, it's dumb. Even if you set it to disabled, it will re-enable itself. You could probably schedule a task to periodically disable it every 30 minutes or something.
PSWii360U - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 6700k@4.5, 32GB DDR4, 1070 G1 8GB, 512GB 840 pro, 960 GB SanDisk Ultra II, HTC Vive

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
4 months ago#13
Orestes417 posted...
There's a high correlation between people who half ass their system maintenance and people who complain about things like this happening. It's not a coincidence. If you'd pick a time you weren't using your system at least once a month and do the goddamned updates manually you wouldn't have these problems.

i love you microsoft. have my babies!!!
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#14
Orestes417 posted...
There's a high correlation between people who half ass their system maintenance and people who complain about things like this happening. It's not a coincidence. If you'd pick a time you weren't using your system at least once a month and do the goddamned updates manually you wouldn't have these problems.

It still did it during hours it's specifically told not to. And there's no reasonable way it turned Windows updates on by itself unless there was some sort of trigger in anniversary to be able to turn them back on at a specific date.
Also it's beyond unreasonable that it updates while your using your computer. A f***ing screen savor can detect if your using your computer and not activate. But software from a multi billion dollar company with billions of devices cannot figure it out. A half hour later i stopped to make supper. But Windows couldn't wait that long. It's absolutely mandatory to only install updates when your using your computer so it can crash whatever your doing.
Thankfully the defrag figures out when your using your computer. I guess the Microsoft tech wizards that built defrag are the smartest people at Microsoft. It's genius level programming to watch if the keyboard or mouse is in use.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

Orestes417
4 months ago#15
You're right it shouldn't start updating during use. The fact remains that if you were more proactive about updating your stuff, you almost certainly wouldn't be having the issue in the first place.

As for turning itself back on, were I to toss out a random guess I'd say it's probably assuming that sabotaging the update system is indicative of malware and repairing itself.

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#16
Orestes417 posted...
You're right it shouldn't start updating during use. The fact remains that if you were more proactive about updating your stuff, you almost certainly wouldn't be having the issue in the first place.

As for turning itself back on, were I to toss out a random guess I'd say it's probably assuming that sabotaging the update system is indicative of malware and repairing itself.

So in your mind your supposed to every hour check for updates manually? Because updates can arrive at any time without notice. So the only way to know is to check constantly. Maybe before every jumping puzzle or raid i should check for updates?

Hold on, I'm watching the grand tour episode 2, better check for updates...

Edit- nope no updates, I'll set my stove timer for an hour so i remember to check again in an hour.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

Orestes417
4 months ago#17
Updates happen on a fairly regular schedule and have for years.

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#18
Orestes417 posted...

Friday at 6:00pm and Sunday at 4:00pm?

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#19
Hey look my windows 7 laptop has updates. It didn't crash the game on my gf and it didn't say a thing. It installed updates when she shut down. What a novel idea!

Orestes417
4 months ago#20
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...

Friday at 6:00pm and Sunday at 4:00pm?

That's not when the updates were released. That's when they got installed after a fairly significant delay on your part. Patch day is generally the second Tuesday of the month unless there's a critical patch that requires immediate deployment.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So it's not possible to disable Windows update anymore?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived