This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't care about Net Neutrality

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I don't care about Net Neutrality

User Info: tearast

tearast
5 months ago#111
Voidgolem posted...
tearast posted...
But such scenarios are nonsensical. For any of the nation’s competing ISPs to offer customers slow, patchy, let alone nonexistent access to the websites they seek to visit, would be commercial suicide.

except who are you going to turn to? ISPs don't have competition in most regions. You either stick with your patchy, slow access or you don't have access at all. Derp.

but it also doesn't mean that it'll be as fast as it is now, that thing that people are arguing to keep. Ah, sophistry.

tearast posted...
Premium Internet services would enable, not stifle, innovation, by giving websites creative options they did not have before.

such as "pay me more money or I'll throttle the s*** out of your traffic", that sure is a creative option.

tearast posted...

The specter of ISPs offering glacial access to certain websites is a smokescreen, designed to obscure the net-neutrality movement’s goal: preventing anyone from having superior, unequal access to customers.

so...enabling an actually free market, then? Huh. You'd think the libertarian wing would be all over that over "well Ubercorp bought all the bandwidth guess you don't get to advertise anymore".

tearast posted...

The Internet is not a collectivist commune; it is a free, voluntary, and private association of individuals and corporations harmoniously pursuing their individual goals. (While it began as a government-funded project, the Internet’s ultra-advanced state today is the achievement of private network builders, hardware companies, content providers, and customers.) Because the Internet is based on voluntary association, no one can properly compel others for their ad space, bandwidth, publicity — or data prioritization

as voluntary as your water and power, some might say. They'd be wrong and/or stupid and/or living in a third-world s***hole, but hey.

tearast posted...
Google has no more right to demand that Verizon be “neutral” with its network than Verizon has a right to demand that Google be “neutral” with its coveted advertising space.

well, other than that whole "lawsuit" thing. We had like, what, twenty of those?

tearast posted...

It is the freedom of participants on the Internet to offer and profit from whatever products, services, or content they choose that has made it such a phenomenal source of content and innovation. Net neutrality would deny ISPs that freedom. It would deny their right to engage in creative, innovative, and profitable activity with those networks — in the name of those who demand their bandwidth, but are unable or unwilling to earn it in a free market.

ah, we're going with the "it's profitable so it's right" argument. Neat. You would've loved the privatized firefighters of greece, then.

"If I spam him with 10 quote blocks in one post, there's no way he'll have a no-life as much as me and respond"

You have violated the Gish Gallop fallacy, please try again.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop

User Info: JustAndrew88

JustAndrew88
5 months ago#112
I wonder if he knows that 75 % of Republicans want Net Neutrality to stay.
You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole.

tearast
5 months ago#113
Voidgolem posted...
tearast posted...

In the end, by the law of free market, you'll end up with a better product through competition. Or, you can even choose to offer your own product. The world will open up and present you with endless opportunities. The choice is yours.

except 99% of people don't have the solvent funds to even begin to offer their own product that can meaningfully compete with existing networks because laying cable is expensive.

oh, right, the whole "Tearast is 16 and doesn't even pay his own bills" thing again, I keep forgetting.

Yea let's just ban the free market because of poors.

Guess what? Literally anyone can start a business. Obviously you'll start small, but anyone is free to do so.

Nice ad hominem fallacy though. Please try again.

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
5 months ago#114
tearast posted...

"If I spam him with 10 quote blocks in one post, there's no way he'll have a no-life as much as me and respond"

I took the time to meaningfully dissect your pile of libertarian actual bulls***, and you can't even posit one meaningful counterpoint?

Guess you don't put as much stock in it as you seem to want to.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

tearast
5 months ago#115
Voidgolem posted...
tearast posted...

I took the time to meaningfully dissect your pile of libertarian actual bulls***, and you can't even posit one meaningful counterpoint?

Guess you don't put as much stock in it as you seem to want to.

Yea I don't put much stock in internet wars like you seem to.

Voidgolem
5 months ago#116
tearast posted...
Voidgolem posted...
tearast posted...

In the end, by the law of free market, you'll end up with a better product through competition. Or, you can even choose to offer your own product. The world will open up and present you with endless opportunities. The choice is yours.

except 99% of people don't have the solvent funds to even begin to offer their own product that can meaningfully compete with existing networks because laying cable is expensive.

oh, right, the whole "Tearast is 16 and doesn't even pay his own bills" thing again, I keep forgetting.

Yea let's just ban the free market because of poors.

Guess what? Literally anyone can start a business. Obviously you'll start small, but anyone is free to do so.

Nice ad hominem fallacy though. Please try again.

Let's ensure a free market remains open to competition as opposed to shut down by default by the man with the most capital to invest. Hard concept to somebody who doesn't actually have money, such as yourself.

guess what? Starting small won't cut it when it comes to internet, because that's how the internet functions! Shocker! Well, not to anybody knowledgable. Definitely to you, though.

Ad hominem? you've provided ample proof of it through your own posts in this topic. Nobody that actually holds a job and pays their bills supports your point of view. Only dorm students and edgy tweenagers.

on the concept of anti-NN in particular people will claim it's free market because "We want more of your money for literally no change in our service" isn't good PR.

User Info: -GhosT-

-GhosT-
5 months ago#117
I guess that sums it up, he concedes à la Trump :

'I really was spending 100% of my energy on this, but now, since I lost, I'm going to say I really didn't care about it in the first place. So either way, I win!'
I'm A Man of Principles, Damn Near Invincible
www.twitch.tv/GilgameshGG

Voidgolem
5 months ago#118
tearast posted...

Yea I don't put much stock in internet wars like you seem to.

can't defend your argument and yet you still make an argument. Neat.

tearast
5 months ago#119
I don't waste my life complaining about not getting handouts on the internet.

I work hard, earn them, and get them myself.

Obviously there's a lot at stake here for you, you need the free stuff to get by since you're likely poor. So you cry for more taxes on people more successful than you or for the government to nationalize more products, so I can see why this debate online is important for you.

User Info: lostsymphony

lostsymphony
5 months ago#120
tearast posted...
I don't waste my life complaining about not getting handouts on the internet.

I work hard, earn them, and get them myself.

Obviously there's a lot at stake here for you, you need the free stuff to get by since you're likely poor. So you cry for more taxes on people more successful than you or for the government to nationalize more products, so I can see why this debate online is important for you.

lmao the classic losers defense. You're the type of person that we invented "participation awards" for in school, yet you're the person that will go on tirades against them. (Also known as an idiot)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I don't care about Net Neutrality

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived