This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How capable is an IT person in a company vs people like us?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How capable is an IT person in a company vs people like us?

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
4 months ago#21
Voxwik posted...
I wish I had the website off hand, but when I was looking up something or another a few months ago I came across a little article that basically said "If you program/work in IT and don't use Google you are an idiot," in not so harsh words. The gist of it was that you're being prideful and wasting time trying to come up with a solution entirely on your own when the answer may be readily available.

Honestly though...it makes sense.

Why spend hours or days or weeks or more trying to figure out a clever, innovative way of moving this heavy box from one house to another...when the automobile already exists.

Back in the day you'd get knowledge from a library, or you'd ask colleagues at work or phone another branch maybe to see if anyone else had come across the same issue. It's all about experience and such. Once you've googled it once or twice, it will probably stick in your mind anyway.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Somato

Somato
4 months ago#22
I worked for a short amount of time as an IT guy in my step-fathers business. I'd literally sit on my ass all day looking at 9gag until someone had a problem. If i couldn't work out the problem myself i'd just google it.

Really put that tertiary education in Graphic Design and Art Buisiness to good use.....
Never forget, it's not Blizzard. It's Activision Blizzard

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
4 months ago#23
Please hold, your call is important to us. You are number #57 in queue. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back up? Oh 322 times? Well let's start fresh doing that again.

Something tells me the tech consumers get access to aren't exactly the cream of the crop but very sad chair sitting list readers with some jerk in a one way mirror that has a clipboard to verbally read off and degrade them on their way to pee. I feel for them, but also hate them.

User Info: TimePharaoh

TimePharaoh
4 months ago#24
"People like us" did you just try and group a functioning member of society with gamefaqs users? I luled
Wait, what? I heard about the Netflix thing but how does the music thing work? You get partial songs or what? - Fade2Scrub420

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
4 months ago#25
I've known plenty of IT peeps. Some are legit and some are just talking out of their ass, so basically a lot of other fields.

For example, the hospital my mother works at (nurse), I remember talking to the dude and he knew next to nothing when it came to real actual IT work aside from setting up computers, hooking them up to switches, etc.

The drummer for my band is an IT personnel for the sheriff coroner's office and while he's tech savvy, he doesn't know that much.

A couple other friends are different, one has a company for setting up large scale projects and the other works for a company in San Jose, consulting around the US and they really know their stuff.

Voxwik posted...
I wish I had the website off hand, but when I was looking up something or another a few months ago I came across a little article that basically said "If you program/work in IT and don't use Google you are an idiot," in not so harsh words. The gist of it was that you're being prideful and wasting time trying to come up with a solution entirely on your own when the answer may be readily available.
This is true, my wife is a web developer and I worked with her on an app project and while I was sitting there trying to figure it out, she said the same exact thing. It's not worth it to waste time trying to figure out something that already has the potential to be figured out but at the same time, if you're going to use a shortcut, you better know what's actually going on, just in case something fails.

User Info: ValzacardX

ValzacardX
4 months ago#26
I would think the bulk of of "people like us" here are in similar fields.

I work IT Support for schools. Most of the time it's just taking broken computers students destroyed an fixing them. People never turning off their computers with hundreds Google Chrome tabs and Excels files open and needing to restart

People looked disgusted when Spectrum went down the other day, and there was s*** I could do to get the internet back up.

Or when Google sent out a bad update for Chromebooks.

Does't help before the school actually staffed an IT team most stuff was done by 3rd party vendors that we have to go though for some hiccups.

80% it's just staff being lazy. I get some who do everything in their power to try and fix it on their own. Just hate when they do stuff like trying to send their Work issued items back to the manufacturer without talking to me lol

If they effectively used google, that would eleimiate 80% of my daily routine
GT:Kahlilx77 PSN:CBE_Rookie
Currently playing: Gundam Versus, Destiny 2, Warframe(PC), and Xcom Enemy Unknown.

User Info: The_Undying_84

The_Undying_84
4 months ago#27
A lot of people just don't have problem solving skills.
bloop

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#28
Somato posted...
I worked for a short amount of time as an IT guy in my step-fathers business. I'd literally sit on my ass all day looking at 9gag until someone had a problem. If i couldn't work out the problem myself i'd just google it.

Really put that tertiary education in Graphic Design and Art Buisiness to good use.....

Its a good idea to learn more than one trade.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
4 months ago#29
Voidgolem posted...
as somebody that works in an IT company: It depends.

a lot of it does indeed boil down to google/stackoverflow usage because if somebody else has solved the problem it's inefficient to spend a bunch of time re-solving it.

Same. I work an IT for the Government--errr, DOD. A lot of what goes into server maintenance is group troubleshooting, Google searching the problem as reference and coming together as a group to figure it out.
#PCMR

User Info: Setzera

Setzera
4 months ago#30
As a former IT, I used to try solving it myself to be more legitimate and inspire some confidence in to the client that I had the ability, but I started using Google for things later on because I realized I didn't come across as smart, but as smart yet slow.

Once I realized that no one cared that I had to look up a few things at times, I came to appreciate Googling as a skill of it's own.

I am happy in some ways that I used to do everything the hard way because I've learned much. I was the only one in my shop who knew how to stop the Crypto virus because I used to monitor my own computer processes back before I accepted antivirus software. Unfortunately I wasn't able to reverse Crypto, just stop it from going further.

Now that I don't do it for work, I Google and use antivirus like normal people because I want to fix it and move on. lol
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How capable is an IT person in a company vs people like us?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived