This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is more demanding? Computer Science vs Video Editing?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is more demanding? Computer Science vs Video Editing?

User Info: Loui5planks

Loui5planks
4 months ago#1
I would say video editing but I'm not certain...

Basically every review ever compares the computer to how well it can compute video editing.

I'm looking for a computer for my upcoming CS classes. I would like to know if a computer can't handle VE can it at least help me code.

Also, for those CS majors out there (or anyone whos confident in their "pc" skills) what do you think about this Surface Book competitor:

https://eve-tech.com/

I've read it's cpu isn't the best but everything else is fine. I'll probably opt for the $1,500 option or less as that's what's in the budget.
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 | Core i7-6700k | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 FE | NZXT. S340 Razer Edition

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#2
You want a coding computer?

Get at least 16gb of RAM.
Cpu doesn't matter.
Ssd helps a lot.
Get a large storage drive.
Video doesn't matter unless your making video games. As long as your video choice supports at least 2 monitors, 4 preferable, it's fine.

If you want it portable. Then something with a big screen would be best.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: neroAngelo

neroAngelo
4 months ago#3
Any toaster is fine for cs.
PSWii360U - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 6700k@4.5, 32GB DDR4, 1070 G1 8GB, 512GB 840 pro, 960 GB SanDisk Ultra II, HTC Vive

User Info: Atralis

Atralis
4 months ago#4
Basically anything will run the code you will be writing as a computer science student so its really up to personal preference.

Personally I would go for something with a lot of ram, an SSD (for fast booting mostly), and a large screen and keyboard.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#5
For coding a $200 chrome book will do.

For video editing you will need a higher end i5 or i7
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Erg0n

Erg0n
4 months ago#6
if you're coding under Visual Studio you don't need much really, according to their specs:
1.6 GHz or faster processor.
1 GB of RAM (1.5 GB if running on a virtual machine)
10 GB of available hard disk space for a typical installation.
600 MB of available hard disk space (language pack)
"The tragedy is not to die, but to be wasted." - Hannibal

User Info: Terrorknight3

Terrorknight3
4 months ago#7
Damn this is another pro for gaming laptops.

Not only are the specs in gaming laptops for playing games but they are strong enough for video editing too.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#8
I would have to say video editing, but that's just a guess.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 months ago#9
OK, when I read "Computer Science" in the title, I immediately thought "is this programming?" but decided that it wasn't, so I thought it's stuff like creating and testing algorithms, or something. Seems I was overthinking it.

For programming, you need a PC. Any PC, really. Depending on what you're going to use, you might need some minimum specs but even then pretty much anything that you'd recommend to your non-technical grandparents would suit you for running code. You can even get a Raspberry Pi, if you really wish, depending on the IDE/language/related stuff you're going to use.

Since you're starting CS classes, then I don't think you need anything really fancy. Even if you do, I expect whatever institution you're in would provide it.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Loui5planks

Loui5planks
4 months ago#10
Well this topic was a win for me. Ok, a little foreground.

I just passed my Intro to Computer Science. In it I was familiarized with one program: R Studio. I was using an old gaming laptop for this course but decided it was time for an upgrade for the next semester. More importantly, although I am looking for a portable laptop, I want it to last at least until I graduate.

SinisterSlay posted...
You want a coding computer?

Get at least 16gb of RAM.
Cpu doesn't matter.
Ssd helps a lot.
Get a large storage drive.
Video doesn't matter unless your making video games. As long as your video choice supports at least 2 monitors, 4 preferable, it's fine.

If you want it portable. Then something with a big screen would be best.

I thought the CPU would would be relevant (without any experience on this) which is good to know it isn't. SSD is a must have for me. Would you say 256gb is ok? I doubt I will be making games. I'll probably get a USB Type-C to 2 HDMI for stuff that requires 2 screens since ports are pretty hard to get.

mucloud posted...
For coding a $200 chrome book will do.

I was looking at the new chrome book but saw it only ran chrome os. Since I've never ran or have personal interest in running a virtual pc (and since installing windows os is a mission and a half) I sorta gave up on owning one. Should I wait until the next semester, see what program the professor is going to be teaching and then reconsider a chrome book?

Terrorknight3 posted...
Damn this is another pro for gaming laptops.

Not only are the specs in gaming laptops for playing games but they are strong enough for video editing too.

Yeah, computers are amazing at everything lol.

vlado_e posted...
OK, when I read "Computer Science" in the title, I immediately thought "is this programming?" but decided that it wasn't, so I thought it's stuff like creating and testing algorithms, or something. Seems I was overthinking it.

For programming, you need a PC. Any PC, really. Depending on what you're going to use, you might need some minimum specs but even then pretty much anything that you'd recommend to your non-technical grandparents would suit you for running code. You can even get a Raspberry Pi, if you really wish, depending on the IDE/language/related stuff you're going to use.

Since you're starting CS classes, then I don't think you need anything really fancy. Even if you do, I expect whatever institution you're in would provide it.

Yeah but I'd prefer not to buy a laptop running Apple OS from the old days (the one with the "4 screens" lol). I may try and get into a one-month CS class during my summer vacation and try to learn some of this stuff outside of the classroom. Raspberry Pi sounds fun but I've only ever "assembled" a computer from parts, I've never actually built the parts myself lol.
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 | Core i7-6700k | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 FE | NZXT. S340 Razer Edition
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is more demanding? Computer Science vs Video Editing?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived