This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any large scale match-based multiplayer game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any large scale match-based multiplayer game?

User Info: tearast

tearast
4 months ago#11
jake-sf posted...
OptimusRekt posted...
Insurgency? Battlefield games (maybe Battlefield 2)? Squad?

Like, thats my very first line buddy. Don't want realistic shooters, they make me puke.

Battlefield? Realistic? You ever even touch a gun in your life, son?

User Info: Atralis

Atralis
4 months ago#12
Battlefront is the only thing that comes to mind. You've gotta realize that there are serious limitations imposed on a game when it has 40+ real live players running around.

MMOs and Battlefield franchise games generally are built around the concept of tons of players running around. Other genres aren't.

Mobas and some other games basically fake it when it comes to massive battles by throwing in a bunch of non player characters but it isn't quite the same thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrXsIz11rss

The closest thing I've experienced to the kind of gameplay you are talking about is Planetside 2 but I certainly understand the shortcomings of that game, especially now that it has reduced player numbers and given the kind of learning curve you would have to go through to get into the game.

User Info: jake-sf

jake-sf
4 months ago#13
I know about Battlefront but I'm assuming you mean the old ones. Aren't they dead at this point? I'm not touching modern Battlefronts, I've heard only horror stories and its EA, after all. I'd expect the old Battlefronts to have a small but very hardcore following.

Atralis posted...
Battlefront is the only thing that comes to mind. You've gotta realize that there are serious limitations imposed on a game when it has 40+ real live players running around.

What limitation? Really, I'm truly wondering. Bandwidth and internet speed isn't what it used to be. If games from early 2000 could pull off a decent experience in the genre, I don't see whats so complicated today when going from 12 players to 40 players, from a networking perspective.

Completely aside, your game reminded me (just from the theme) that I'm still waiting for Mordhau which fits what I want. Chivalry was fun and filled my needs for large scale fun... of course the game was such a f***ing mess. Hopefully Mordhau will bring back some joy again.

tearast posted...

Battlefield? Realistic? You ever even touch a gun in your life, son?

I've explained my hatred of the gameplay, it has nothing to do with it being accurate to guns or not. The rest is just pure hatred of the style, the heavy amount of camouflaging in plain sight, the super quick time to kill, the uninspired visuals and just everything about a realistic "theme" that makes me hate "realistic" games. Has nothing to do with it being an accurate representation of real life or not.

In fact by graphics alone, games have gotten a lot harder on the eye than life is with all the s***ty graphic design and the death of art in these games. Realistic games in the past ended up having an artistic feel because of the graphic limitations, now everything blends with everything and it just looks terrible.
SFJake Website - http://sfjake.byethost7.com

User Info: JohnnyKooch

JohnnyKooch
4 months ago#14
I don't know what anyone can tell you.
Most of the large scale games are Shooters / MMO that you seem to have no intention to play.
I'm also not quite sure what large scale game someone could make that isn't either of those things.
i5-4690k OC 4.6Ghz - GTX 1070 - 8GB DDR3 -
3DS: 1006-1758-5189 PSN: JohnnyKooch

User Info: jake-sf

jake-sf
4 months ago#15
JohnnyKooch posted...
I don't know what anyone can tell you.
Most of the large scale games are Shooters / MMO that you seem to have no intention to play.
I'm also not quite sure what large scale game someone could make that isn't either of those things.

I get that there might not be anything out there that fits my taste, I'm generally quite aware of games and I rarely find anything with these topics.

But really? You can't imagine a non-realistic FPS with a high player count? What? Everything has to have the same gameplay?

Shooters aren't just "realistic shooters".
SFJake Website - http://sfjake.byethost7.com

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
4 months ago#16
jake-sf posted...
the super quick time to kill,

BF1's ttk is the slowest TTK BF has had probably since BC2. Outside of shotguns at point blank range and the Automatico, guns kill extremely slowly by comparison to BF3 and BF4 before the damage reduction patch.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Asus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1TB x2, 500GB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: Kharillle

Kharillle
4 months ago#17
warband, some games have 70 a side. Medieval first/third person combat?
No time for games so I twitch. Youtube is good. Two monitors at any one time. My graphics card ist krap.

User Info: Skyrazer

Skyrazer
4 months ago#18
If OW had like a 12v12 or 16v16 cluster**** mode where you can just herp and derp and spam till your heart's content, I would start playing the game again. As for now though, I just don't have the willpower anymore for 6v6 tryhard modes.
Life - A sexually transmitted disease that always results in death.

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
4 months ago#19
Skyrazer posted...
If OW had like a 12v12 or 16v16 cluster**** mode where you can just herp and derp and spam till your heart's content, I would start playing the game again. As for now though, I just don't have the willpower anymore for 6v6 tryhard modes.

The game has a FFA and a 4v4 TDM mode now. FFA is good for screwing around and trying things you don't play often.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Asus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1TB x2, 500GB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: Ikpa_Vatryx

Ikpa_Vatryx
4 months ago#20
There's Midair, but it's still in Early Access and only up to 16v16. I haven't played it, but its gunplay should be what you're looking for.
Knowledge is power.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any large scale match-based multiplayer game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived