This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Out of the loop in CPU's.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Out of the loop in CPU's.

User Info: Pedro_Prez

Pedro_Prez
4 months ago#1
Hey guys, it's been well over a decade since I've upgraded a computer. So I have a quick question. I've tried searching this, but I find sometimes the best explanation comes from the community..

So I am buying this CPU but not sure exactly what it means.

Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core/12-Thread Processor
Socket LGA 1151, 3.7 GHz Base/ 4.7 GHz Max Turbo Frequency

I understand the base clock is 3.7GHz.... But what's with the 4.7GHz Max Turbo Frequency? Does that mean it will automatically go as high as 4.7GHz if the PC requires it?

2. Is there a way to keep it at a constant 4.7GHz?

Thanks guys!

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#2
Typically it will run at that if the game requires it. That's just what it typically runs at overclocked. I have heard people with the 7700k max it out at 5.0GHz but they delidded to pull it off. I got a 6700k myself since the difference in power is pretty neglible and I didn't want to delid. Sorry for some of the random battering after the first two sentence.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

Pedro_Prez
4 months ago#3
So how do you get it to run at 4.7GHz at all time?

User Info: Riot55555

Riot55555
4 months ago#4
You just go in an manually overclock it. I did that exact thing - set multiplier to 47 to it just always runs at 4.7 all the time.
youtube.com/riot55 ~~ twitch.tv/riot12345
Competitive Global Elite CS:GO, Hearthstone, Street Fighter gameplay, tutorials and more!

Pedro_Prez
4 months ago#5
Riot55555 posted...
You just go in an manually overclock it. I did that exact thing - set multiplier to 47 to it just always runs at 4.7 all the time.

This cpu is unlocked right?

And how are the temps?

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 months ago#6
Two ways to get the full 4.7 on all cores if you want it, Riot's method of just setting the multiplier would be what I would do, as well as specifying a voltage (as low as possible, I'd put time into stress testing it though to get the lowest temps i could) vs leaving it on auto. The other option is something called Multicore Enhancement that it seems like most boards ship with. It will let any cpu you buy run at its max turbo on all cores. For the most part this seems to really go overboard with voltages which causes the temps to shoot way up so I'm not really a fan, at least not for highly clocked parts like the coffee lake i7s. For something like the 8400 I imagine it would be fine though since the turbos just aren't that high (4ghz).

the 8600k and 8700k are both unlocked. Temps are really meh unless you delid, delidding can lead to temps as much as 20 degrees lower. The thermal compound intel has been using on their IHS is just junk as far as thermal conductivity goes. It's really stable, at least, but it's not like the other options didn't last until the parts were useless either.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#7
Pedro_Prez posted...
So how do you get it to run at 4.7GHz at all time?

No the CPU usually goes to the lower settings the 4.7ghz is when it is needed for tasks
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#8
PhilOnDez posted...
Two ways to get the full 4.7 on all cores if you want it, Riot's method of just setting the multiplier would be what I would do, as well as specifying a voltage (as low as possible, I'd put time into stress testing it though to get the lowest temps i could) vs leaving it on auto. The other option is something called Multicore Enhancement that it seems like most boards ship with. It will let any cpu you buy run at its max turbo on all cores. For the most part this seems to really go overboard with voltages which causes the temps to shoot way up so I'm not really a fan, at least not for highly clocked parts like the coffee lake i7s. For something like the 8400 I imagine it would be fine though since the turbos just aren't that high (4ghz).

the 8600k and 8700k are both unlocked. Temps are really meh unless you delid, delidding can lead to temps as much as 20 degrees lower. The thermal compound intel has been using on their IHS is just junk as far as thermal conductivity goes. It's really stable, at least, but it's not like the other options didn't last until the parts were useless either.

You can buy your CPU's delidded and everything done for you. That's the route I would take cause delidding is out of my comfort zone.
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
4 months ago#9
Or you could just buy ryzen where you don't have to delid and not support intel's scummy tactics
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#10
SnakePlisken94 posted...
Or you could just buy ryzen where you don't have to delid and not support intel's scummy tactics

Intel really should just soldier their CPUs. I'll think about next time I have to do a CPU/MOBO/RAM upgrade. Although I might be able to use the same RAM, but unlikely.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Out of the loop in CPU's.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived