This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to get 4k resolution on amazon prime when watching on PC?

User Info: iPWNtheNoobs

iPWNtheNoobs
3 years ago#1
Right now it only showing 1080p when I'm watching The Grand Tour. Is it possible to get 4k on a PC? I've been googling and I'm only seeing articles from 2014/2015. I'm hoping maybe something has changed by now?
I know Netflix only allows 4k on Kaby Lake CPU's and has to be on Microsoft Edge or the app. Also something about 1000 series Nvidia GPU's. While Chrome only does up to 720p.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 years ago#2
what GPU do you have???
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM GeForce GTX FTW 1080 8GB

iPWNtheNoobs
3 years ago#3
mucloud posted...
what GPU do you have???

Only a 970 and a skylake processor. Don't want to upgrade 1 gen to get 4k.

Why? Does a 1000 series allow 4K on amazon?

User Info: MrSprings

MrSprings
3 years ago#4
Use the netflix app.. Don't know of any other guarantee to get it to work. That and there's a setting for playback quality.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."- GC

User Info: spike_spiegel

spike_spiegel
3 years ago#5
Can you actually do this on a non amazon device? I always assumed they locked all other devices outside of their 4k amazon box to 1080p in order to sell products. Hell I can't even find 4k amazon digital movies usually.
Ryzen 3900x | 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | EVGA XC3 Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Sabrent Rocket nvme Gen4 | Asus Crosshair Hero VIII

User Info: _Marka_Ragnos_

_Marka_Ragnos_
3 years ago#6
Using a PC as the center of a home theater is a pain in the balls. I gave up. Dealing with getting 4k and HDR on windows 10 is not worth the trouble. Especially if you have a good sound system since windows 10 will inevitably f*** over your sound settings every time.

Pick up a dedicated smart box (roku, apple tv, etc). Makes your life ten times easier. Especially when you aren't dealing with the nonsense arbitrary 4k playback requirements on PC.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 years ago#7
Picking up a dedicated box would be better to deal with then messing with the PC.

As far as your 4k goes a 970 will not do 4k well. It does not have enough VRAM for it and I don't know how movies play well with 4k and a 970. As long as your monitor or TV has 4k you should be good to go.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM GeForce GTX FTW 1080 8GB

iPWNtheNoobs
3 years ago#8
Well, I'm not trying to game at 4k or anything and my monitor is only 1440p but still be nice to get the max streaming resolution possible.

I just hate these DRM requirements for streaming. Why are you punishing paying customers? Any one can go on and find a 4k torrent pretty easily.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 years ago#9
mucloud posted...
As far as your 4k goes a 970 will not do 4k well. It does not have enough VRAM for it

Bull, small streaming devices and iGPUs can technically handle 4K video, this is a decoded video buffer we're talking about, not a game with textures/models etc. to load into VRAM. Try doing a bit of research/knowing what you're talking about before posting.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Switch | Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

iPWNtheNoobs
3 years ago#10
Stupid DRM strikes again. Where are all the DRM supporters?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to get 4k resolution on amazon prime when watching on PC?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A