This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I build a gaming laptop for 500?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can I build a gaming laptop for 500?

User Info: 10DimeBag10

10DimeBag10
4 months ago#1
I am on a budget and see the most basic laptops are around 700 at the lowest. I am not a hard core PC guy, but do want to play recent games and also encode videos. I have a lot of experience with hardware but not much money, any advice?

User Info: AimlessDork

AimlessDork
4 months ago#2
you could make a halfway acceptable desktop for $500 but you're not going to even be able to build a laptop in the first place let alone a gaming laptop at $500
GTX 1070, i7-6700, NZXT Phantom 530, W10
Ps4. Ps3. PC. 3DS

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
4 months ago#3
Basic laptops are in the 300dlrs range or less, sporting i3 ulv and amd crap apus.

At 700 you can already get machines with i5, ssds and dedicated graphics (usually on the gt 1030 level and up to 1050).

Those should be competent for gaming at medium settings up to 1080p.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA SSD || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#4
Build a laptop???? ....no

Build a desktop yes
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: 10DimeBag10

10DimeBag10
4 months ago#5
What do you guys think is the lowest to buy or build a laptop? I can do a desktop but also need a laptop even if it isn't anything special.

User Info: Escalated-Woody

Escalated-Woody
4 months ago#6
AimlessDork posted...
you could make a halfway acceptable desktop for $500 but you're not going to even be able to build a laptop in the first place let alone a gaming laptop at $500

What do you think a halfway acceptable desktop is?
Low, medium, or high chaos?

User Info: tearast

tearast
4 months ago#7
AimlessDork posted...

A halfway decent GPU alone costs $500.

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
4 months ago#8
You cannot "build" a laptop. All laptops are pre-built.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: AimlessDork

AimlessDork
4 months ago#9
Escalated-Woody posted...
AimlessDork posted...

What do you think a halfway acceptable desktop is?

one of those things in Pandas PCpartpicker lists that is "super money efficient"

You'll get acceptable levels of playability as defined by the type of person wanting to game on a "budget"
GTX 1070, i7-6700, NZXT Phantom 530, W10
Ps4. Ps3. PC. 3DS

User Info: Alesandros

Alesandros
4 months ago#10
Sure... if you want to play solitaire and minesweeper.
Classically liberal, independent moderate. US Marine and Pianist.
[Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AlesandrosX?feature=mhee]
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can I build a gaming laptop for 500?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived