This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam and it's lax policies

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam and it's lax policies

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
4 months ago#1
Why can anyone change their username whenever they please?

Why can anyone identify their geographical location as someplace it's clearly not?

And worst of all, why are there private profiles?

Been playing an online game which is borderline dead for sometime now and there's a loser troll with 1 bar con and cheat hacks enabled that keeps exiting out, changing his username and re-entering. Thanks to Steam this lowlife turd has basically ruined what little left of a good experience that remains.

I get some people would like to change their username every now and then, but every friggin second? How about limiting it to one change per week?

And yet for all these stupid lax policies that ruin the gaming experience, Steam will not allow you a custom profile background. Go figure.

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
4 months ago#2
Xbox live and PSN are over there. With any luck you'll get a loot box with desired character limit as well.
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
4 months ago#3
Changing your username on Steam is purely cosmetic and doesn't mean you can't get banned for cheating.

As for geographical location, well, for some people it could really show up as somewhere else. There's no way to know for sure, so restricting it would just make more problems.

You can make private profiles on consoles, you know that right?

Custom profile background? Like that won't be abused at all.

User Info: TimePharaoh

TimePharaoh
4 months ago#4
Hey dip you realize your display name isn't your profile name and it's irrelevant to anything

Oh noes private profiles I wanted to Steam Tinder
Wait, what? I heard about the Netflix thing but how does the music thing work? You get partial songs or what? - Fade2Scrub420

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
4 months ago#5
I feel like this topic would be better suited to complaining about the lack of anticheat in whatever game the OP is playing.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
4 months ago#6
WhyWontHeFall posted...
Been playing an online game which is borderline dead for sometime now and there's a loser troll with 1 bar con and cheat hacks enabled that keeps exiting out, changing his username and re-entering. Thanks to Steam this lowlife turd has basically ruined what little left of a good experience that remains.

That isn't Steam's fault. Plenty of games ban by steamid (your account # which can't be changed). Blame the dev.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
4 months ago#7
This is an online fighter with throwdowns. In other words, I play training mode or arcade waiting for an online match.

The username of the opponent in waiting pops up on the bottom right of the screen and there is no way of knowing who is who.

The playerbase is small and the game is old. I don't expect the devs to police it nor do I care, if Steam didn't allow constant name changes, this would be a non-issue.

Death_Born posted...
Custom profile background? Like that won't be abused at all.

Yea, but they allow custom profile pic ( avatar ), groups and of course incessant name change which already offend aplenty. So there is no consistency there.
(message deleted)

User Info: dragoonmike

dragoonmike
4 months ago#9
WhyWontHeFall posted...
cheat hacks enabled

do you have proof they are cheating or did the person beat you in the game and first thing to pop in your head was the there's no way he/she beat me legit so they must be cheating defense.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 months ago#10
WhyWontHeFall posted...
Why can anyone change their username whenever they please?

Actually, I'm a bit more annoyed that we even have a single username for all games. I don't really want the same nickname in every game I join and you would need to change it on a game per game basis. I'd say that their policy here is too rigid rather than lax.

WhyWontHeFall posted...
Why can anyone identify their geographical location as someplace it's clearly not?

Because...people may travel? I don't get it. The most important thing dependant on your location is the store. It dictates what prices you see and also to some extent what gifts you can receive. If I travel abroad, I would still prefer to pay in the same currency my card is, otherwise there would be extra charges. In what way are you affected by this?

WhyWontHeFall posted...
And worst of all, why are there private profiles?

I don't even understand the question. How is it "worst of all"? How is it even "bad"? Why would you expect open profiles everywhere?

WhyWontHeFall posted...
Steam will not allow you a custom profile background

You sort of do with the backgrounds you can get. It's not free reign but, honestly, completely custom backgrounds aren't that good, either. If I want to see cringeworthy art, badly edited photos, images that are edgelord-y as hell, backgrounds that you can't even see well because they weren't even designed as such, etc. then I...well, I actually wouldn't even want to see them. I'm pretty sure any urge to witness these has forever evaporated after I've seen them in action.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam and it's lax policies

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived