This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long do you need to run Prime95 stress test to know it's stable? (i3-8350K)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How long do you need to run Prime95 stress test to know it's stable? (i3-8350K)

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
4 months ago#1
https://i.imgur.com/xa2T3zh.jpg

I'm using the auto overclocks on my motherboard for i3 8350K. It has 4.1, 4.2 and 4.4GHz options.

I'm testing the 4.2GHz option now with "blend" test in Prime95. Peak CPU temperature seems to be 82C while doing this.

The Core voltage doesn't seem to go much above 1.116.
4K, i3-8350K, Zotac GTX1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4-3600, Gigabyte Z370 MB, WD Black 6TB HDD, 250GB SSD, Seasonic F+ 650W PSU, Thermalright 140D, Deepcool Tesseract case

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
4 months ago#2
5 minutes, or until things like temps level out. long term stress tests always struck me as pointless.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
4 months ago#3
Prime is incredibly demanding, unrealisticly so.

But after a couple of minutes is more than enough. I use it more as a temperature test, not stability test. I have had overclock that never crash on such demanding things, but will crash on very light games/tasks.

4.2 Ghz seems pretty low clockspeeds for that CPU, don't you think? also, current draw in prime is consierably more than most other software, so depending on your motherboard settings, you might need to raise that to avoid clockspeed limits.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA SSD || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 months ago#4
I've always found actual gaming to be a better test for stability
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 months ago#5
i've found installing nvidia drivers to be a better indication of stability. i've had overclocks that are stable in these stability testing software but when installing nvidia drivers it would error out due to crc errors.

and then there's actual gaming and doing everyday workloads. if you don't bluescreen or black screen or restart unexpectedly after an extended period of time then it's stable.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
4 months ago#6
Ryzeki posted...
Prime is incredibly demanding, unrealisticly so.

But after a couple of minutes is more than enough. I use it more as a temperature test, not stability test. I have had overclock that never crash on such demanding things, but will crash on very light games/tasks.

4.2 Ghz seems pretty low clockspeeds for that CPU, don't you think? also, current draw in prime is consierably more than most other software, so depending on your motherboard settings, you might need to raise that to avoid clockspeed limits.

I was doing 4.2 first because I always heard that you should increase small amounts at a time.

The "CPU upgrade" (as it is called in BIOS) only goes up to 4.4GHz, but the manual overclocking doesn't seem to let me modify the clocks.

The RAM is the same way. Either XMP is enabled and it runs at 3600MHz, or it's disabled and it won't let me change the clocl speed value.

I'm not quite sure how to manually overclock because all the options don't seem to let me change them.
4K, i3-8350K, Zotac GTX1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4-3600, Gigabyte Z370 MB, WD Black 6TB HDD, 250GB SSD, Seasonic F+ 650W PSU, Thermalright 140D, Deepcool Tesseract case

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
4 months ago#7
82*C is a little on the hot side, what cooler are you using?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
4 months ago#8
More recently I've actually found running blender with the BMW CPU Benchmark so far to be the best test yet. If it crashes you know it's not stable, let that run a few times and you should know you're good.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#9
You do not need prime for a stress test you will NEVER use it that stressful.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: k debonair

k debonair
4 months ago#10
IBT + Furmark at the same time. You'll crash within 30 seconds if there's a problem.
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How long do you need to run Prime95 stress test to know it's stable? (i3-8350K)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived