This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are the Witcher games as easy to pick up and play like Fallout 3 ?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are the Witcher games as easy to pick up and play like Fallout 3 ?

User Info: Kano92

Kano92
4 months ago#1
I'm getting the feeling that they are more complicated. I don't like real RPG games I've tried them before and for the most part their too complicated. It has to be at least a Action RPG.
PC-WiiU-PS4

User Info: VoightKent

VoightKent
4 months ago#2
I wouldn't say so. A lot of inventory management and Witcher 1's gameplay isn't suited for pick up and play, and neither is Witcher 2 that much. But Witcher 3 is a bit more casual.

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
4 months ago#3
Yes
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xgsy6X
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR

User Info: HorrorJudasGoat

HorrorJudasGoat
4 months ago#4
fallout 3 is not easy to pick up and play because it's a bug ridden piece of s*** of a bad game. Fallout New Vegas, on the other hand, is the epitome of pc gaming.

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
4 months ago#5
It depends on which Witcher game you're talking about, since they all play differently from one another. None of the three are remotely similar to Fallout. Except I guess you kill people in them so there's that.

I recommend playing all of them, but approaching them in different ways...
1 - The original is more like a traditional CRPG. For this one I recommend installing a movement speed mod, playing it on Easy difficulty, and just enjoying the super high quality writing.
2 - The second is a clear transition from the original game's mechanics to the much smoother/more varied combat of the third one. The writing here is also pretty great though the game's choices are much more obvious when presented and have much more obvious consequences, which was a little disappointing imo (the first game was far more subtle). Combat is a bit clunky. I also recommend playing this on Easy or Medium difficulty.
3 - The third one is one of the best RPGs of all time, with a beautiful lively open world to explore. It is very streamlined - you don't need to collect resources to craft potions once you've already crafted the initial potion (you just need one ingredient for it), throwables (like bombs) are much easier to use, there's a lot more to collect but you can focus on collecting gear for your playstyle, there's basically no inventory management compared to other RPGs (you have to worry about equipment/weapons taking up weight, but virtually nothing else actually weighs anything)... And the writing is still really amazing. There's a ton of content and each quest is entirely unique, there's no radiant BS. The only shortcoming here is that the game is very long and so the story loses the sense of urgency it would normally have if it were more linear like the first two.

You definitely want to play the third one on the hardest difficulty.

You don't need to play 1 or 2 to understand 3, but they do introduce a fair amount of backstory for most of the characters and concepts of the world that you encounter in 3. That being said, even if you play all three of them and even if you read the journal entries on the characters/concepts, you might still be a little lost on things unless you read at least the first couple of books in the series (they are easy reads, broken up into several short stories). Not necessary at all to enjoy the story but it can help a little bit.
i dont like signatures

User Info: Supremo

Supremo
4 months ago#6
HorrorJudasGoat posted...
Fallout New Vegas, on the other hand, is the epitome of pc gaming.

New Vegas is full of bugs, one of them happened to me - getting stuck at the Gomorrah's entrance when the guard will check the weapons but he'll never do it and the character stay locked there, having to reload a save file.

Fallout 4 is a much better game, and I didn't have any serious bugs like this happening to me.

New Vegas overrated
Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are. - Ryu

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
4 months ago#7
lol @ suggesting Fallout 4 is a "much better game". It's not even a Fallout game.
i dont like signatures

User Info: HorrorJudasGoat

HorrorJudasGoat
4 months ago#8
In FNV you are playing chess with the NCR, Legion, Boomers, Brotherhood, House, Caesar, Lanius and the Khans. fallout 3, you're killing molerats with a poison club for moira. fallout 4, you're just killing things and following the bethesda marker because the story is a joke and the "factions" try and fail to recreate what was done previously in FNV. It's hilarious that fallout 3 fans have been butthurt and pissed for over 10 years only to get a farm simulator trying hopelessly to outdo Obsidian.

User Info: loki00_00

loki00_00
4 months ago#9
The Witcher 3 is too big. There's way way too much to do.
How you do even start playing a game like that?
It confounds me to even try.
The official Oni of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board

User Info: jake-sf

jake-sf
4 months ago#10
loki00_00 posted...
The Witcher 3 is too big. There's way way too much to do.
How you do even start playing a game like that?
It confounds me to even try.

Some of my simplest friends found lots of joy in that game so I don't think you should be scared.
SFJake Website - http://sfjake.byethost7.com
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are the Witcher games as easy to pick up and play like Fallout 3 ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived