This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone tried Opus Magnum?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone tried Opus Magnum?

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
5 months ago#1
Care to share thoughts on the difficulty? Video review i watched looked interesting but i couldnt quite work out fully what was actually going on
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: Darth_Kamcio

Darth_Kamcio
5 months ago#2
"The lack of an explicit "branch" instruction does make for simpler puzzles than TIS-100 or Shenzhen I/O (for example), but I find the result to be a tighter focus on the aspects that matter to this game, rather than being too simple. In addition, Opus Magnum should be considerably less intimidating to many people than those games were, given its much more visual nature."

"Possibly the only Zachtronics game my feeble mind can handle."

"Opus Magnum is much more accessible than Zachtronics previous games, and possibly their best. It's the free and open form of gameplay mean you are looking for a solution, rather than the solution.

It is still a fiendish puzzle game, casting you as an alchemist making machines to transmute and create molecules. But it is much more user friendly and accessible this time, with no restrictions at all. The aim is first to create what-ever based on a given input. When you have built a machine, you are compared with what everyone else have done, and you can see how effective you have been, based on histograms of average costs (gold, #cycles and area size), and it is up to you if you want o go back and try to optimise it for a greater score in either category. It is a great incentive to just try to tweak it just a little bit more to cut down the cost or the cycles it uses, and creep a little bit higher up on statistics."

"The game give you all the tools from the get go, and there are no penalties, which means you do exactly what you want to complete a level. Whether you then want to spend time optimizing your creation, or just see what kind of silliness you can do. The game has a very gentle learning curve and a very good tutorial which teaches you everything you need to make the machines work. As it gives you all the tools you need from the start, complexity is introduced by the nature of the inputs and outputs, not by giving you new things to learn as you progress. It already have a lot of levels, and access to user created levels (through Steam Workshop at the moment). It also looks very good, and the ability to create shareable gifs of your working machines is a stroke of genius. "

I think those steam reviews might give you the picture you're looking for. Haven't played the game myself, but been eyeing it as well.
You have absolutely no right to complain about a decision you decided to support with your money. Be smart and vote with your wallets!

User Info: hokkendire

hokkendire
5 months ago#3
It gets difficult around the end of the 3rd chapter. But if you want you can easily brute force all the solutions as you have unlimited room to work with. The repeatability comes from optimizing solutions like in previous zach games
| i7 7770K| MSI z270 M3 | 980ti | 16gb DDR4@3600| Oculus Rift
Steam: DatDudeCorks
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone tried Opus Magnum?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived