This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what happens now (to the people saying no net neutrality is fine/ok)?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So what happens now (to the people saying no net neutrality is fine/ok)?

User Info: khunki

khunki
7 months ago#21
Seems like people who think the internet should be free are the ones who are making the most noise over this. It comes down to whether you believe the internet is a utility regulated by the govt or an independent service provided by various different companies.

It's possible that some ISPs will either align with some companies (take Netflix for example) or will provide their own alternative services and throttle Netflix. Maybe they will charge extra. Maybe Netflix will remain independent and lower their prices. Basically, if you're an average person, this will just make you more conscious of what ISP you use. It's not the end of the world.
X

User Info: ThisIsAKnoife

ThisIsAKnoife
7 months ago#22
WalkingPlague posted...
I love how some folks are blaming the average Joe Six-pack like it was our fault. This was a losing battle from the gate. You can petition out of the ass for months-- for what? To make you feel better about something you never had control over in the first place? Money will always win. The purpose behind all of this was to control.

average joe six-pack is the reason we have an unqualified balding mant**** dotard sitting in the oval office making his mark on the world by undoing the work a better man before him did without offering any reconciliation or amendment lol.

can’t even imagine being proud of having elected some senile septaguanarian and simultaneously worshipping him while also (rightfully) assuming he’s such a sniveling pissbaby of a child that even the single utterance of skepticism is like battery acid thrown in his face
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius.

User Info: khunki

khunki
7 months ago#23
ThisIsAKnoife posted...
WalkingPlague posted...
I love how some folks are blaming the average Joe Six-pack like it was our fault. This was a losing battle from the gate. You can petition out of the ass for months-- for what? To make you feel better about something you never had control over in the first place? Money will always win. The purpose behind all of this was to control.

average joe six-pack is the reason we have an unqualified balding mant**** dotard sitting in the oval office making his mark on the world by undoing the work a better man before him did without offering any reconciliation or amendment lol.

can’t even imagine being proud of having elected some senile septaguanarian and simultaneously worshipping him while also (rightfully) assuming he’s such a sniveling pissbaby of a child that even the single utterance of skepticism is like battery acid thrown in his face

I didn't know drama queens rode such high horses.
X

User Info: Dyshonest

Dyshonest
7 months ago#24
yohabroha posted...
Dyshonest posted...
I really hate these Trumpsters pretending like "nothing will change". No, things will change. When we had less total legislation (pre-2015), Verizon, Comcast, everyone, were still actively doing shady and stupid things like hidden charges, data caps, throttled data, etc., even though it was illegal.

Now? All of that stuff is legal.

I don't believe Orestes is a trump supporter and doesn't even remotely sound like one here.

Also, under Net Neutrality companies were/are still doing hidden charges, data caps and data throttling. And your sentence doesn't even make sense - you say that those actions were illegal pre-NN, but are somehow legal now? All that happened was NN was repealed, no new laws have been added so far. So it's exactly like it was pre-2015, which in your own words still means those actions would be illegal.

As Orestes is implying, you'd be a complete moron to think that NN has or would have stopped companies from doing these things. The laws aren't written so that its HEY DON'T DO THIS, HEY DON'T DO THAT. There's complex legal syntax that corporations have found and will continue to find loopholes in. And also as mentioned, the lack of Net Neutrality doesn't magically blanket ISPs from the law. Before NN, the government was still slapping the wrists on ISPs for anti-consumer practices and are still free to do so.

Do I think NN should've gone away? No, I actually think it should've been reformed in Congress and enacted as a law by them or even a straight up constitutional amendment so that we don't have this bi-yearly waste of tax dollars discussing it.
ITT we keep ignoring things like "net neutrality IN TOTALITY" to keep pushing Trumpist agendas.

User Info: ThisIsAKnoife

ThisIsAKnoife
7 months ago#25
khunki posted...
ThisIsAKnoife posted...
WalkingPlague posted...

I didn't know drama queens rode such high horses.

i didn’t know trumpsters could possibly be more oblivious to the world outside 4chan and their little bubble where their parents pay their way through their wretched existence but you sure made me think otherwise. you honestly think s*** like netflix is more important than providing a free medium for those of lower socioeconomic status to do literally ANYTHING in the digital age we live in?

i know it’s hard for you to imagine since it sounds likely you haven’t worked a day in your life, but poor people deserve a chance to exist alongside us. you sound just like that fat corporate sellout mike o’reilly in his speech during the fcc meeting today. he also brought up the fact that there should be paid prioritization because all people do is waste bandwidth watching netflix and looking at pictures of cats (how do these apes even get their job in the first place?)

there are these magical places called public libraries and schools that offer limitless amounts of knowledge that is going to be even harder for low income people to access because of this s***. but sure, your mom’s netflix account is gonna be a-ok so who cares.
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
7 months ago#26
yohabroha posted...
Orestes417 posted...
If you want to actually fix things, it'd be a better investment to work on ways to break up the virtual monopolies ISPs have. More competition regulates a market far better than any boilerplate law ever could. Just have to figure out what it's going to take to get that competition.

call internet a utility and subsidize smaller companies that want to expand their infrastructure to compete with the big ISPs

Nah. What you need to do is break out the AT&T hammer and force stratification. Get backbone providers out of the consumer ISP business, get consumer ISPs out of the telecom and cable businesses. And clear out all sorts of red tape hindering startups. You'll end up raising consumer prices for a while but at the same time you'll open the floodgates on competition because you've removed the inherent advantages provided by vertical integration within these giant conglomerates.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: arleas

arleas
7 months ago#27
https://qz.com/1157178/us-state-attorneys-general-are-already-suing-to-save-net-neutrality-from-the-fcc/

Apparently what happens now is a lawsuit
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: anonymous02135

anonymous02135
7 months ago#28
Orestes417 posted...
yohabroha posted...
Dyshonest posted...
I really hate these Trumpsters pretending like "nothing will change". No, things will change. When we had less total legislation (pre-2015), Verizon, Comcast, everyone, were still actively doing shady and stupid things like hidden charges, data caps, throttled data, etc., even though it was illegal.

I don't believe Orestes is a trump supporter and doesn't even remotely sound like one here.

Also, under Net Neutrality companies were/are still doing hidden charges, data caps and data throttling. And your sentence doesn't even make sense - you say that those actions were illegal pre-NN, but are somehow legal now? All that happened was NN was repealed, no new laws have been added so far. So it's exactly like it was pre-2015, which in your own words still means those actions would be illegal.

As Orestes is implying, you'd be a complete moron to think that NN has or would have stopped companies from doing these things. The laws aren't written so that its HEY DON'T DO THIS, HEY DON'T DO THAT. There's complex legal syntax that corporations have found and will continue to find loopholes in. And also as mentioned, the lack of Net Neutrality doesn't magically blanket ISPs from the law. Before NN, the government was still slapping the wrists on ISPs for anti-consumer practices and are still free to do so.

Do I think NN should've gone away? No, I actually think it should've been reformed in Congress and enacted as a law by them or even a straight up constitutional amendment so that we don't have this bi-yearly waste of tax dollars discussing it.

If you want to actually fix things, it'd be a better investment to work on ways to break up the virtual monopolies ISPs have. More competition regulates a market far better than any boilerplate law ever could. Just have to figure out what it's going to take to get that competition.

damn, you are too naive and innocent. if market place competition is solution to all monopoly problems, then where all anti-trust lawsuit between monopoly and government from? lmao

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
7 months ago#29
anonymous02135 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
yohabroha posted...
Dyshonest posted...

damn, you are too naive and innocent. if market place competition is solution to all monopoly problems, then where all anti-trust lawsuit between monopoly and government from? lmao

why do you type like borat
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So what happens now (to the people saying no net neutrality is fine/ok)?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived