This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you pay $9.99 a month for Steam?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you pay $9.99 a month for Steam?

User Info: Darth_Kamcio

Darth_Kamcio
2 months ago#21
So net neutrality went down, ultimately?
You have absolutely no right to complain about a decision you decided to support with your money. Be smart and vote with your wallets!

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
2 months ago#22
I personally was *heavily* throttled through Comcast before net neutrality was passed in 2015. It was so severe I had to get a VPN to use my internet reasonably at all. Youtube videos in particular I could not stream without serious buffering issues even at 120p (basically postage stamp quality).

I was able to easily verify and prove it was Comcast throttling, because flipping the VPN on instantly gave me 1080p streaming with zero buffering, and the full video would pre-cache in seconds. Turn the VPN off, and suddenly I couldn't even watch a 120p video without pausing to buffer every 2 or 3 seconds.

I'm so looking forward to having to deal with all that again. They had actually stopped it after 2015, and I've been fine without a VPN for the past year and a half.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

KillerTruffle
2 months ago#23
Darth_Kamcio posted...

FCC voted it out... still has to clear Congress though, so there's still a chance.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
2 months ago#24
KillerTruffle posted...
Darth_Kamcio posted...

FCC voted it out... still has to clear Congress though, so there's still a chance.

congress is ajit pai x2 though. house is republican, senate is republican, and the democrats are only projected to lose more seats in 2018 despite the recent dem win in alabama. certain situations such as a president tanking the country further could change that projection though.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#25
Sadly yes. Some of the packages I won't pay for though.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
2 months ago#26
KillerTruffle posted...
I personally was *heavily* throttled through Comcast before net neutrality was passed in 2015. It was so severe I had to get a VPN to use my internet reasonably at all. Youtube videos in particular I could not stream without serious buffering issues even at 120p (basically postage stamp quality).

I was able to easily verify and prove it was Comcast throttling, because flipping the VPN on instantly gave me 1080p streaming with zero buffering, and the full video would pre-cache in seconds. Turn the VPN off, and suddenly I couldn't even watch a 120p video without pausing to buffer every 2 or 3 seconds.

I'm so looking forward to having to deal with all that again. They had actually stopped it after 2015, and I've been fine without a VPN for the past year and a half.

What VPN were you using?
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

KillerTruffle
2 months ago#27
Tyranius2 posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

What VPN were you using?

PIA. Would probably still have them, but they had a billing issue a couple years ago, and the automatic billing didn't happen, and they have a very short window between notification and closing your account, so I'd have had to set up a whole new account to get it back. At that point, my internet was all working fine, and I didn't want the hassle of setting up a new account, so I left it.

Probably going to have to get a new VPN in the near future. I'm currently looking at Nord.

User Info: Black_Zero_X

Black_Zero_X
2 months ago#28
Just go with ProtonVPN.
You don't need a reason to help people.
Member of KAMOTE FORCE 5, BLACK_ZERO_X!

KillerTruffle
2 months ago#29
Black_Zero_X posted...
Just go with ProtonVPN.

What's better about it? Does it work with Netflix? Reasonable price?

User Info: MUD VIPER

MUD VIPER
2 months ago#30
Because now you're going to have to do that.

Really wish there was a rolling eyes emoji.

It does not have to be Valve, Comcast/Cable companies can now charge that to access Steam/Uplay/ect.

Yep, just like they did prior to 2015... oh wait.
Console bug testing has been outsourced to gamers now. For $60 you too can become a game tester.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you pay $9.99 a month for Steam?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived