This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about new system which wont turn on

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about new system which wont turn on

User Info: Goodziilla

Goodziilla
4 months ago#1
Told people I'd build a system for them, "usually" not a problem, but alas I am doomed to suffer with this one.

I don't have any other am4 equipment, I don't have any extra PSU's with me. Despite getting a ryzen 1700x, logically they decided on using onboard graphics.

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=pzvogWiv7dA%3d

I've tried switching memory ports, plain removing the memory, reset cmos, unplugged/plugged everything back in, switched the power button and reset button.

The motherboard lights up when I turn on the power supply, but when I hit the power button nothing happens. It seems like it could be psu, cpu, or mobo, but there's always the possibility that I'm just missing some plug only found on higher end stuff. Most builds for myself rarely go above $500. Maybe I'm missing some jumper for using onboard video or something? I'll need to read over the manual some more tomorrow

Ideas? It's possible I'll have to return something, but I'd rather only do it once if at all.

User Info: grand_commander

grand_commander
4 months ago#2
Well your first problem is that no Ryzen CPUs have integrated graphics. You're going to need to spend at least a small sum of money on a dinky graphics card to give you anything for your monitor to see.

Goodziilla
4 months ago#3
That'd probably do it, anyone have recommendations on inexpensive video cards? The comp is basically a media server

User Info: ggf162

ggf162
4 months ago#4
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004X6ABTM/ref=psdcmw_284822_t1_B00CRY47K6

Cant be any worse than onboard man
Remember kids, alcohol IS a solution!

Goodziilla
4 months ago#5
lol, yea maybe I should look into it. I kinda wonder if subconsciously I accidentally avoided choosing a GPU. On the whole, it's a pretty cool build, but then oh yea... well it has a pile of radeon hd 6450... but look the other way! At least it has a 1700x, a b350 chipset, and some 2666 memory.

Not a high end system, but considering most of what I do is in the ~$600 range, sale shopping is what makes things interesting, it's nice to have a "just build the stinkin' thing and choose decent parts" job. So I get higher end equipment which is nice but then there's that.. video thing.. very unsettling indeed. But for a server computer it's all that's needed.

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
4 months ago#6
I wouldn't recommend a ddr3 video card, it will be just as terrible as onboard. If you are running a media server consider making headless. Put the server in a closet, connect it to 1Gb ethernet, then run Plex or Kodi on it and have it serve every screen in your house. For the cost of the video card you can pickup a Roku Premiere which would do the job of running client perfectly for your main TV. And you would have the ability to access all your media server content on your phones and tablets via browser or app.
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
4 months ago#7
From what i can see that motherboard has video in it.
Onboard Video Chipset
Integrated AMD Radeon R Series Graphics in the 7th Generation A-Series APU
Multi-VGA output support: HDMI/DisplayPort ports
- Supports HDMI 1.4b with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DisplayPort 1.2 with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 2048MB
You probably don't need another video card.
Are you certain your power button is connected to the correct pins on the motherboard. It can be easy enough to mistakenly put the connector a pin off or even miss a pin. I've done something like that at least once in all the years I've been putting together my own pc's. Sometimes the power button is just defective.
Is the cpu fan connection connected to the correct place. Some systems won't start if they don't detect that main cpu fan.
I suppose you plugged in both power connections to the motherboard?

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
4 months ago#8
Goodziilla posted...
Told people I'd build a system for them, "usually" not a problem, but alas I am doomed to suffer with this one.

I don't have any other am4 equipment, I don't have any extra PSU's with me. Despite getting a ryzen 1700x, logically they decided on using onboard graphics.

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=pzvogWiv7dA%3d

I've tried switching memory ports, plain removing the memory, reset cmos, unplugged/plugged everything back in, switched the power button and reset button.

The motherboard lights up when I turn on the power supply, but when I hit the power button nothing happens. It seems like it could be psu, cpu, or mobo, but there's always the possibility that I'm just missing some plug only found on higher end stuff. Most builds for myself rarely go above $500. Maybe I'm missing some jumper for using onboard video or something? I'll need to read over the manual some more tomorrow

Ideas? It's possible I'll have to return something, but I'd rather only do it once if at all.

For future references higher RAM speed benefits Ryzen a lot... Also that $11.50 adapter you overpaid for is included with a graphics card which if you had done proper research, you would have known you would need to buy one with the Ryzen. Another reason I pick Intel over AMD for my builds, the cost difference gap is much smaller when you opt for a cheap GPU.
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
4 months ago#9
ggf162 posted...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004X6ABTM/ref=psdcmw_284822_t1_B00CRY47K6

Cant be any worse than onboard man

Actually yes it can... That's about 2-3x worse than a onboard Intel UHD 630... TC should at the very least get something that can maybe play games or watch 4k video if hes going to be spending the money. That HD 6450 would probably stuggle to do 1080p/60fps on youtube not gonna lie.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE5X44894&cm_re=gtx_650-_-9SIA4RE5X44894-_-Product

This would be about 4 x faster than the HD6450... and can actually play Far Cry 3 @ 1080p/medium with 50+fps and watch 4k videos...

Benchmark comparing the two:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/H/L/437385/original/Low-1280-FR.png
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

User Info: grand_commander

grand_commander
4 months ago#10
Playsaver posted...
From what i can see that motherboard has video in it.

He's using a Ryzen CPU, not an A-series APU.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about new system which wont turn on

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived