This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DO NOT update Windows 10.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. DO NOT update Windows 10.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
5 months ago#71
arleas posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
Actually all you need to do is be smart

Funny, I say the same thing and everyone yells at me because apparently being smart ISN'T enough when the boogyman is out there installing viruses on your machine.

If you have a weak heart don't look:
I haven't used an antivirus in over a decade

And again, if I have any problems, nuke it from orbit, start over... no problem. If I have data that is impossible to recover from other means, I back that up on a Blu-Ray...otherwise no regular backups either

For anyone with elevated blood pressure, I warned you not to look.

Problem is "be smart" is terrible advice when everyone on the planet assumes they're smart. You don't care about the consequences of catastrophic failure? Fine whatever man. Don't advise others that it's a remotely intelligent thing to do.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
5 months ago#72
TheOpposite posted...
I think it's funny that I have never updated Windows 10 since the initial updates after installing and I have never had a security issue.

That YOU know of.

You do realise if your computer's hijacked it looks nothing like the TV shows tell you, right? You know, with the hundreds of popup windows sprouting up all showing code being created lightning fast by a mad hacker with leet typing skills?

You can have malware sat on your operating system for years without knowing.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Termin8r

Termin8r
5 months ago#73
MarceloSampaio posted...
Don't use Adblock Plus anymore.

Ublock Origin is way better.

Don't use uBlock Origin anymore.

Nano Adblocker is way better.
https://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
5 months ago#74
Termin8r posted...
Nano Adblocker is way better.

Does it exists for Firefox? Can't find it. :/
Harvest Moon on Steam? Really? http://store.steampowered.com/app/585900/Harvest_Moon_Light_of_Hope/
May not be a "real" HM, but it does look fun.

User Info: unclee

unclee
5 months ago#75
People still run Windows 10 Home? Just get Pro then set yourself to "Current Brand for Business." That sets it so that your machine gets new versions of W10 when it's deemed ready for business deployment (which is usually a couple months after the Home users get them).

Then, you can take it one step further by deferring feature updates for up to 365 days. I have mine set to CBfB and then I delay feature updates for an additional 30 days. There's even another option to defer security updates for up to 30 days. I defer those for 7 days.

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
5 months ago#76
I mean yeah, I could disable updates and just be safe. After all you know that Google's Ad platform has never been compromised. That once-reputable sites such as Sourcefire would never bundle malware in with their installers. That drive-by installers and SSL vulnerabilities have never existed. I mean as long as I'm not going out of my way to get viruses, clearly I'm safe, right?

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
5 months ago#77
TheOpposite posted...
I don't claim to be an expert on anything, but people make way to big of a deal out of keeping everything updated when the updates (or lack of them) aren't the problem, nor will they solve it. It doesn't take technical knowledge to observe how Windows works.

Yeah they are, the very reason they did/do extended support phases for XP/7 etc. was the security update fixes. Advising people to not update windows, but run an Anti-Virus software is like posting a handful of guards around a giant gaping hole in a wall. Many AV companies even advise users to keep their Windows up to date. I'm not saying that EVERY update is absolutely necessary, but it is idiotic to suggest that people NEVER update.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
5 months ago#78
JKatarn posted...
Many AV companies even advise users to keep their Windows up to date. I'm not saying that EVERY update is absolutely necessary, but it is idiotic to suggest that people NEVER update.

Well putting my ass in the wind here, I had a uh questionable copy of Windows XP for a while on my home system that I couldn't update or its uh questionable nature would uh bar me from using it anymore, so I went several months without updating and didn't have any uh issues.

I've had a non-questionable copy of Windows 10 on autoupdate for the last almost two years and haven't had any issues.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
5 months ago#79
The main deterrant for autoupdates in the past was how long some of them took to install (hardware hog because the process was unoptimized), how much it slowed down the internet (bandwidth hog), and forced reboots. I'm talking XP days here with bandwidth. Win7 had the other two still.

None of these are issues anymore with Win10. My PC experience is so beyond what I ever thought it could be, I have more time for GameFAQs than I ever could have imagined.

*I don't even notice updates*. And I love the five seconds from power button to login. People slamming Win10 still believe in the "power" of moon water lulz
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
5 months ago#80
unclee posted...
People still run Windows 10 Home? Just get Pro then set yourself to "Current Brand for Business." That sets it so that your machine gets new versions of W10 when it's deemed ready for business deployment (which is usually a couple months after the Home users get them).

Then, you can take it one step further by deferring feature updates for up to 365 days. I have mine set to CBfB and then I delay feature updates for an additional 30 days. There's even another option to defer security updates for up to 30 days. I defer those for 7 days.

im shaking my head bruh.. just shaking my head
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. DO NOT update Windows 10.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived