This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whoopsies... Crytek suing CIG/Star Citizen

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Whoopsies... Crytek suing CIG/Star Citizen

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#1
https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/23222744/Crytek_GmbH_v_Cloud_Imperium_Games_Corp_et_al

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7jlcp7/crytek_creator_of_cryengine_sue_cloud_imperium/

Crytek has filed a pretty hefty-sounding lawsuit against CIG over both Star Citizen and Squadron 42. Its complaints in a nutshell:

1) CIG's contract required them to use only CryEngine, which may have been violated when they switched to Lumberyard (although if they did this after the contract expired, this claim would likely be thrown out).

2) CIG was obligated to advertise CryEngine in the game, typically through use of a splash screen. This appears to have been reneged on by replacing the CryEngine splash screen with one for "Star Engine."

3) CIG was not to share any proprietary information about CryEngine, which Crytek apparently claims they violated during some of their Youtube series talking about bug fixing and stuff.

4) CIG was to provide CryTek with an annual detail of bug fixes and optimizations, which they failed to provide.

All of these agreements resulted in "below market" licensing fees on CryEngine. The lawsuit is seeking a total injunction against ALL game elements using CryEngine code or assets, which would basically immediately pull every part of the game not running on Lumberyard.

I'm curious how CIG will respond, but my guess is their best defense would rely on when exactly they did (or stopped doing) each of these things in relation to when their contract ended. I can't imagine what other defense they might have.

Expecting two new ship concepts for $12,000 each as well as $750 named ownership of your own asteroids to be coming in any day now to help cover legal fees for the suit.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
4 months ago#2
A real serious game for reels. Can't wait to drop 12gs dawgies.
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#3
I'm glad I don't care for the game.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
4 months ago#4
Technically they are running the game on CryEngine.

It is just a proprietary version of CryEngine (Lumberyard) that Amazon paid a f*** ton to license and distribute.

Wonder if that will come into play anywhere.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: nurnberg

nurnberg
4 months ago#5
Hopefully this will end the cult of Citizentology.

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 months ago#6
Wasn't Crytek the guys not paying their employees? Didn't they lose a lot of employees to CIG that way? (I mean it's hard to keep people working for you when you're not paying them)

This is probably a cash grab.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#7
arleas posted...
Wasn't Crytek the guys not paying their employees? Didn't they lose a lot of employees to CIG that way? (I mean it's hard to keep people working for you when you're not paying them)

This is probably a cash grab.

Yep... they are indeed the ones that didn't pay. They pretty much turned into a scumbag company, but if CIG violated the contract, that's pretty irrelevant. Crytek could be boiling puppies alive to generate electricity, and it wouldn't have any effect on whether or not the lawsuit was legit.

Still figure it's likely going to all come down to when CIG started doing these things vs. when the contract expired.

And yeah, no question it's a cash grab. Most lawsuits are in one way or another, but Crytek is pretty much a defunct shell of a company, so they're going to chase money wherever they can till they completely close shop.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
4 months ago#8
Man, both Crytek and CIG are pretty s***ty companies, but this could ruin CIG if they are guilty of infringement.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."

User Info: tearast

tearast
4 months ago#9
Lmao Crytek butthurt they aren't using their s***ty engine. Times change, companies move on. Get over it.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#10
tearast posted...
Lmao Crytek butthurt they aren't using their s***ty engine. Times change, companies move on. Get over it.

Contracts, they're a b****.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Whoopsies... Crytek suing CIG/Star Citizen

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived