This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New build, GPU question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New build, GPU question

User Info: R_Jackal

R_Jackal
4 months ago#1
So, kinda heading towards an intro to 4k or 120+ fps gaming, and was wondering which is a decent GPU to get at a good price?

Not expecting cheap, but I'm not adverse to going SLI with buying one now/one later, but honestly the FPS is more important to me than 4k is.

User Info: locksmithblack

locksmithblack
4 months ago#2
What's your budget?
Haters = Motivators

User Info: Xa3r0x

Xa3r0x
4 months ago#3
1080 for ~400
1080ti for ~700
i5-4670k @ 3.4 GHz | ASUS Strix 1080TI | GIGABYTE Z87 MX-D3H | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Corsair CX600 | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD | 128GB Crucial M4 SSD

User Info: Dr_keith

Dr_keith
4 months ago#4
Well, if you don't want to break the bank all at once look into EVGAs step up program.

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Grab a 1080 now and step up to a 1080ti in the next 3 months.
If you're worse than me: You're a n00b.
If you're better than me: You're a hacker.

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
4 months ago#5
Nothing less than a 1080ti.
And even that won't be enough
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
4 months ago#6
4K 60fps = 1080 Ti
4K 100fps+ = Titan V(olta)
Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI B350 Tomahawk | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync
Nintendo Switch

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
4 months ago#7
If you are fine with 4K30FPS (depending on the game and graphics settings), GTX 1060/RX580 is a decent intro to 4K gaming (similar power level as Xbox One X).

It's just a myth that you NEED a $400-$700 GPU for 4K. You won't do 4K/ultra/60FPS on new/high graphics games, but it's very playable.

Make sure you don't get the 3GB version of the GTX 1060. 4GB VRAM of RX 580 might be good enough, but it would suck to end up bottlenecked by something $30-$70 more would have solved.

I chose the 6GB GTX 1060 because of the reports of graphical bugs in Cemu Wii U emulator on AMD hardware.

I used to game on a weaker R9 270 at 4K. It could do Skyrim max settings at around 30FPS and GC/Wii emulation at 4K full speed.

Although I have not done much gaming on my new PC because I'm still in the setup/installing phase.
4K, i3-8350K, Zotac GTX1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4-3600, Gigabyte Z370 MB, WD Black 6TB HDD, 250GB SSD, Seasonic F+ 650W PSU, Thermalright 140D, Deepcool Tesseract case

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 months ago#8
R_Jackal posted...
I'm not adverse to going SLI with buying one now/one later

As a current SLI user, don't.
Half the games coming out now don't even support SLI. And the ones that do f*** it up so bad it sometimes runs better on one card.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
4 months ago#9
GoldenSun3DS posted...
If you are fine with 4K30FPS (depending on the game and graphics settings), GTX 1060/RX580 is a decent intro to 4K gaming (similar power level as Xbox One X).

It's just a myth that you NEED a $400-$700 GPU for 4K. You won't do 4K/ultra/60FPS on new/high graphics games, but it's very playable.

Make sure you don't get the 3GB version of the GTX 1060. 4GB VRAM of RX 580 might be good enough, but it would suck to end up bottlenecked by something $30-$70 more would have solved.

I chose the 6GB GTX 1060 because of the reports of graphical bugs in Cemu Wii U emulator on AMD hardware.

I used to game on a weaker R9 270 at 4K. It could do Skyrim max settings at around 30FPS and GC/Wii emulation at 4K full speed.

Although I have not done much gaming on my new PC because I'm still in the setup/installing phase.

a 1060 and 580 can barely cut 30 fps in todays games at. they are not 4k cards by any means.

maybe if you like to run older games in s***ty settings and get console framerates they might pass for older games. just because they have roughly the power of the new xbox doesnt mean s*** for pc when devs spend most of their times optimizing it for console but shut us pc users out.

i mean if youre after 4k in older games you might be able to pass. or if all you want to do is emulate, fine but it doesnt really even matter that much at all what gpu you have for that anyways.

but s***, is all youre gonna use that pc for is emulating? i mean thats gonna suck for just about anything modern these days that is even remotely cpu heavy. i would have shelled out that extra 70 bucks on a better i5 you could overclock or whatever. at least then youd stand a chance of driving decent framerates. especially if youre targetting 4k.

i dont even see the point of buying a gpu at this point with the new nvidia cards not too far away. i was after a 1080ti but its too late in the season now so im holding out myself.

i dont even know where im going with this. but yeah you arent gonna go far with 4k with just some little 1060 or 580. i mean maybe if you like all the textures to look like mud just to get the game to run 25-30 fps. those are 1080p cards and you would quickly realise that just trying to run 1440p in anything modern and have it look and run respectably. i mean s*** if youre after 4k 30 fps may as well go buy the new xbox. at least most games will be tuned up to run at that for the next few years. if youre trying to get that on a pc with similar power, stay far far away from any windows store games or anything with the name Ubisoft, because those s***ty console ports are going to run like ass, even if you have plenty of extra horsepower. the only way you can make them run decently is by brute forcing it with raw power lol and then u get games like witcher 3 which look and run even better and use up alot less power to get there.

i dunno man i wouldnt advise anybody to go 580 or 1060 if theyre targetting 4k in any form. especially this late in the game. a year or two from now those cards might struggle at 1080p if the devs keep being lazy
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
4 months ago#10
4k any card you aint playing above 60fps. Buy a 1440p 144hz and enjoy the damned thing with a 1070 or above
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New build, GPU question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived