This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

There is a lot of fear mongering by net neutrality supporters

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. There is a lot of fear mongering by net neutrality supporters
The cranky hermit 4 months ago#91
BearShrooms posted...
I'm not sure where in history the government has been "good" at regulating anything.

Building codes, traffic codes, ADA, FDA, banning DDT, smokefree zones, antitrust laws, labor laws, do-not-call lists, and of course Net Neutrality all come to mind. The only reasonable complaint for any of these things would be that the government didn't go far enough, but never that it would be better to do nothing at all.

It's my understanding that the FTC doesn't have the power to break up monopolies under anti-trust laws.

This has literally nothing to do with whether the monopoly is a utility or not. And they do... but there's a process for it which depends on a court agreeing.

If these "intellectuals" wouldn't have a hard time understanding the separation between NN and anti-trust laws then how come so many people are clamoring that repealing NN will allow companies to create monopolies?

Literally nobody is claiming this, and you are deliberately misconstruing the argument. It won't create monopolies, it will allow the existing monopolies to be more abusive.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#92
I'd argue for ineptitude on at least half of those.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: CELTEKK

CELTEKK
4 months ago#93
Net neutrality classified ISPs as a utility. Repealing NN basically guarantees you will never see any competition in the provider market.

How f***ing dumb are you people?
transcend8/23/15

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
4 months ago#94
FDA is not a great example. being in construction i take issue with building codes, traffic codes and ADA as well but the issues tend to be local government's handling of those and its pretty specific.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

yohabroha
4 months ago#95
CELTEKK posted...
Net neutrality classified ISPs as a utility. Repealing NN basically guarantees you will never see any competition in the provider market.

How f***ing dumb are you people?

great way to get your point across, call people idiotic for not sharing your views despite how obvious you may believe your viewpoint is. that certainly worked well last year.

at any rate, there wasn't competition during NN, i don't know what magical fairy land you were living in. 3 of the local providers here got wiped in 2016 alone.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs
The cranky hermit 4 months ago#96
yohabroha posted...
FDA is not a great example. being in construction i take issue with building codes, traffic codes and ADA as well but the issues tend to be local government's handling of those and its pretty specific.

FDA is a fine example. We were literally giving babies heroin before it was a thing. Being in construction, boo hoo. Deal with it. I'll be happily living in a place with actual safety standards in its construction. ADA and traffic codes are certainly not local government things - why do you think driving on the right side of the road and traffic lights are universal across the whole country?
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#97
CELTEKK posted...

Since when has classifying things as utilities ever increased competition? If you want to accomplish that you need to, as stated several times, look to things like anti-trust law.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 months ago#98
BearShrooms posted...
Because the government is so good at handling things?

So apparently we should just do nothing. That's what you're saying.

Government can't be trusted
Business can't be trusted
NOBODY CAN BE TRUSTED
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
4 months ago#99
The cranky hermit posted...
BearShrooms posted...
I'm not sure where in history the government has been "good" at regulating anything.

Building codes, traffic codes, ADA, FDA, banning DDT, smokefree zones, antitrust laws, labor laws, do-not-call lists, and of course Net Neutrality all come to mind. The only reasonable complaint for any of these things would be that the government didn't go far enough, but never that it would be better to do nothing at all.

It's my understanding that the FTC doesn't have the power to break up monopolies under anti-trust laws.

This has literally nothing to do with whether the monopoly is a utility or not. And they do... but there's a process for it which depends on a court agreeing.

If these "intellectuals" wouldn't have a hard time understanding the separation between NN and anti-trust laws then how come so many people are clamoring that repealing NN will allow companies to create monopolies?

Literally nobody is claiming this, and you are deliberately misconstruing the argument. It won't create monopolies, it will allow the existing monopolies to be more abusive.

Literally nobody? I mean a 5 second google search produced several pages proving you completely wrong. But you're right, literally nobody.

But project onto me and claim I'm the one "misconstruing the argument". Nah, I won't be discussing this with you any more.

Good day sir.

yohabroha
4 months ago#100
The cranky hermit posted...
yohabroha posted...

FDA is a fine example. We were literally giving babies heroin before it was a thing. Being in construction, boo hoo. Deal with it. I'll be happily living in a place with actual safety standards in its construction. ADA and traffic codes are certainly not local government things - why do you think driving on the right side of the road and traffic lights are universal across the whole country?

dude holy s*** you really are cranky today. why would you ever respond to someone like that? I already said that i'm dealing with it. and way to show how little you actually know. ADA and traffic codes ARE a local government thing. do you think the federal government comes to every ADA ramp that gets installed? does the federal government create every building punchlist? and the FDA is a bad example of regulation, i never said it was a bad example of something the government created. the fact that its there is good.

also great that you tell me to "deal with it" before even understanding what my issues with them are. but you wouldn't care to even acknowledge those due to fear that you might agree with one and your narrative gets tanked.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. There is a lot of fear mongering by net neutrality supporters

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived