This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

There is a lot of fear mongering by net neutrality supporters

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. There is a lot of fear mongering by net neutrality supporters

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 months ago#71
BearShrooms posted...
But I also don't think that it's the governments job to tell people what kinds of products they are allowed to make.

So do you disagree with US government bans on products containing lead-based paints or food products that present a health risk such as, at least at one point, absinthe?

Also, do you consider government regulation as to what companies are not allowed to produce to be a case of the government telling them what they are allowed to produce?

Finally, should governments protect consumers from predatory businesses and business practices, and if not then whose responsibility is it to so protect consumers when consumers are unable to protect themselves due to factors beyond their control?

ghost140 posted...
Yea ill take the government at least i can vote for those guys.

For as much good as that does when the people most likely to run are too often the ones you least want in office and are the most in bed with special interests groups and corporations that you don't want affecting governmental policy.

Hell, above a certain local point you're not even really voting for your choice in an election, not really, but are instead voting for the choice that someone else provided you. Where were all the pro-Weekend at Bernie's people left in the last presidential election when the choice came down to Lizard Lady and Annoying Orange if they were voting for the person and not the party? Voting for someone not on the ballot really doesn't do any good in modern US politics, not voting gets you castigated even when you feel that voting for the least of all evils is immoral because you're still voting for evil, and you rather obviously didn't want to vote for the other two.

That's not even getting into the less obvious/public backgrounds behind why various candidates run for various offices.

That's not to suggest that there are massive, ongoing conspiracies designed to funnel the US population like sheep, not by any stretch. It's just a realistic appreciation that there are many factors involved in getting individuals into public office, and it's entirely too likely that voter choice is the least meaningful factor of them all.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: SilentHawk29

SilentHawk29
4 months ago#72
BearShrooms posted...
If I don't like a game, I don't buy it. If I don't think a service is worth the price then I don't pay for it. It's a video game FFS, there are a lot more important things in my life than toys.

So if you don't like an ISP, you don't use it? Have fun with no internet when they already have monopolies under the government.
Steam - SilentHawk29 || Z170-A, G1 GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
My car (on fire): http://i.imgur.com/ZoeZJ1b.jpg

User Info: anonymous02135

anonymous02135
4 months ago#73
SilentHawk29 posted...
BearShrooms posted...
If I don't like a game, I don't buy it. If I don't think a service is worth the price then I don't pay for it. It's a video game FFS, there are a lot more important things in my life than toys.

So if you don't like an ISP, you don't use it? Have fun with no internet when they already have monopolies under the government.

this, you have to forgive someone that is clueless of situation. they are naive and innocent to think they have choice and they have saying in market place. they really dont.

User Info: anonymous02135

anonymous02135
4 months ago#74
sfcalimari posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...
Let's not forget net neutrality has only been around since 2015.

You are a schmuck and a liar and should not be acting like you have any idea about any of this.

totally this.

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
4 months ago#75
Some of it is fear mongering, yes. That's what people tend to do. Exaggerate in an effort to make their case sound stronger.

But that doesn't automatically mean that some of it won't come true, either.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
4 months ago#76
anonymous02135 posted...
SilentHawk29 posted...
BearShrooms posted...

this, you have to forgive someone that is clueless of situation. they are naive and innocent to think they have choice and they have saying in market place. they really dont.

But at the same time being smug to people who are ignorant (and by that I mean "They don't know" not "They're stupid") doesn't help.

If someone is ignorant of a situation it's much better to inform and educate them than smugly declare them stupid or generally insult them. It'll just make people bitter and double down on their dislike of intellectuals.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#77
GoIrish80 posted...
Some of it is fear mongering, yes. That's what people tend to do. Exaggerate in an effort to make their case sound stronger.

But that doesn't automatically mean that some of it won't come true, either.

I've typically been giving the "Netflix vs. Verizon" issue as an example of what was happening prior to net neutrality being passed. I had my own direct personal experience with being throttled by Comcast too though - repeatedly before 2015. For some reason or other, it stopped being a problem in 2015. I can't wait for it to come back again!

ò_ó
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: UnderwaterAir

UnderwaterAir
4 months ago#78
Maybe people don't remember the days when you couldn't even get online because you were being throttled for no reason and calling to complain would avail nothing.

Or the stupid contracts where you were stuck paying for 2 years even if you didn't like it or use it.

Net Neutrality and the coming into its existence helped out with all of these things and more.
I had never been so well treated by an ISP until these rules were put in place.

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
4 months ago#79
Marikhen posted...
BearShrooms posted...
But I also don't think that it's the governments job to tell people what kinds of products they are allowed to make.

So do you disagree with US government bans on products containing lead-based paints or food products that present a health risk such as, at least at one point, absinthe?

Well no I'm not OK with it, the same as I would not be OK with unregulated bio-weapons or vehicles that are known to fail. And, I guess my statement could be interpreted to be rather absolute but I doubt any rational person not extending my phrases to extreme hyperbole could rationalize out that I certainly didn't mean complete and total deregulation of production. But this is the internet and I should've known better, my bad.

Unless of course you likely did know what I meant and were just stating this to try and be contrarian. You knew didn't you?

There's nothing malicious about gambling, or loot boxes for that matter, other than the consumers lack of self control. This isn't baby formula with asbestos hidden in the ingredients, people are clearly aware of the risks associated with gambling. If I want to gamble with my money then I should be allowed to because I'm an adult and I work hard to earn MY money and should be able to do with it as I please, as long as it's not hurting others.

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
4 months ago#80
Dragon Nexus posted...
anonymous02135 posted...
SilentHawk29 posted...
BearShrooms posted...

But at the same time being smug to people who are ignorant (and by that I mean "They don't know" not "They're stupid") doesn't help.

If someone is ignorant of a situation it's much better to inform and educate them than smugly declare them stupid or generally insult them. It'll just make people bitter and double down on their dislike of intellectuals.

LMAO, "intellectuals".

Like the intellectuals that aren't aware that there are actually several laws in place that prevent basically everything all the NN fear mongerers are talking about. Removing government regulation of the internet removes FCC control and places back under the FTC. Slowing internet, charging extra for limited access, propaganda, and everything else everyone is freaking out about is already illegal under anti-trust, anti-monopoly, and anti-propaganda laws.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. There is a lot of fear mongering by net neutrality supporters

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived