This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which CPU when building a new PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which CPU when building a new PC?

User Info: Tekutso

Tekutso
4 months ago#11
Sir_Haxor posted...
Are you willing to pay near double the costs in favor of 10fps in certain games? If yes, go with Intel. Otherwise save your cash with Ryzen and put it towards a better GPU/SSD/etc.

Lol what. A 1700x is $350 vs an 8700k is $380 to $400. 10 fps? Games like grand theft auto 5 get 40+ fps difference between the 2 mentioned cpus. That's with a 1080 ti. The difference would be even bigger with a less powerful gpu. He said he wants the best thing for gaming... right now its intel and it's not even close.

Here is the 8700k vs an 1800x
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oyZcinq2_FA

Looks like most games gain about 20+ fps with an 8700k at 1080p with a gtx 1080.
Nerd
Gamefaqs Finest

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 months ago#12
Tekutso posted...
Sir_Haxor posted...
Are you willing to pay near double the costs in favor of 10fps in certain games? If yes, go with Intel. Otherwise save your cash with Ryzen and put it towards a better GPU/SSD/etc.

Lol what. A 1700x is $350 vs an 8700k is $380 to $400. 10 fps? Games like grand theft auto 5 get 40+ fps difference between the 2 mentioned cpus. That's with a 1080 ti. The difference would be even bigger with a less powerful gpu. He said he wants the best thing for gaming... right now its intel and it's not even close.

Looks like most games gain about 20+ fps with an 8700k at 1080p with a gtx 1080.

wow ryzen is getting raped damn
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: hardy3786

hardy3786
4 months ago#13
Now I'm curious how Ryzen 2nd gen performances will be.

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
4 months ago#14
zhenghan posted...
Tekutso posted...
Sir_Haxor posted...

Who games at 1080p when they have a 1080 Ti in their system? If you have a 1080 Ti it means you're targeting either 4k60 or 1440p144.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 months ago#15
HeliosMagi posted...
Who games at 1080p when they have a 1080 Ti in their system?

People eliminating a GPU bottleneck.

Or were you just trying to be edgy?
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

zhenghan
4 months ago#16
HeliosMagi posted...
zhenghan posted...
Tekutso posted...
Sir_Haxor posted...

Who games at 1080p when they have a 1080 Ti in their system? If you have a 1080 Ti it means you're targeting either 4k60 or 1440p144.

100+ FPS is a thing.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Iceman83

Iceman83
4 months ago#17
I'm leaning toward the i9 to "future proof" in a sense. I want this system to last at least 5 years before I do a major upgrade.
If it bleeds, we can kill it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
4 months ago#18
Iceman83 posted...
I'm leaning toward the i9 to "future proof" in a sense. I want this system to last at least 5 years before I do a major upgrade.

Right now an i7 or Ryzen is "future proofing" as manufacturers finally decided to add more cores.

Both are good choices. If you want absolute highest fps, you need a good cooler and an i7 overclocked. If you don't plan on overclocking much or don't care for anything more than 60fps, then it doesn't matter what you choose right now.

Ryzen is a cheaper platform, intel is a faster/more expensive platform. Imo, I would go with ryzen.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA SSD || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#19
Iceman83 posted...

CPUs tend to be the components that last the longest, thank goodness too, since a CPU upgrade usually means a new build just about.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

zhenghan
4 months ago#20
captsplatter_1 posted...
Iceman83 posted...

CPUs tend to be the components that last the longest, thank goodness too, since a CPU upgrade usually means a new build just about.

yes this is true, gives me a headache just thinking about how to upgrade the CPU in my machine xD. probably gonna replace the whole thing except for the video card, hard drive, sound card, and wifi card. you can't even keep the case in my case since it's so old it will need a new bracket for SSDs and it's not even compatible with USB 3.0 for the front panel.

the good thing is I think I can keep it for this console generation still since they're using a tablet CPU in the consoles.

edit: on second thought, probably better to start over with a new hard drive as well. 1TB is too small these days =/
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which CPU when building a new PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived