This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fallout 4 VR is out

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Fallout 4 VR is out

User Info: arleas

arleas
5 months ago#31
Dr_keith posted...
after it was announced that Skyrim VR would be a timed PSVR exclusive

As cool as Skyrim VR might be, it's not like it's an actual new game that I haven't played for a couple hundred hours already. I realize the experience is going to be different from the pancake version, but I don't think it's going to wow me THAT much. Basically I'm saying I can wait for their little exclusive to be over.

Also right now PSVR is selling the most VR headsets so it makes sense they're going to pay a little extra attention to them. I think if Oculus wasn't trying the same "exclusive" s*** (with some games being exclusive or timed exclusive to the Oculus store) things might be different.

I've heard mixed things about Doom VFR, but it's not the same storyline as the main game too. Fallout 4VR and Skyrim VR are pretty much the same game as always just in VR, and seems like you would be just as well served by using VorpX to play the game as buying the official versions.

Overall though, they're just doing the least amount of work to get into the VR market now. Makes me wonder if we'll see VR versions of their other properties (Wolfenstein VR? Dishonored VR?). Probably depends on how much "work" they put into the conversion and how much money they make off of it as a result.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
5 months ago#32
In regards to that screenshot: Given the GPU/performance overlay, I'd guess that would be off a desktop mirror, which tends to look god-awful and not terribly representative of the VR view point. Not to say I haven't seen and read through Reddit posts saying it's a blurry mess, but THAT specific screenshot is kinda iffy as evidence.

Most desktop mirrors look awful in VR games to save performance because they made it a separate render for whatever reason. I've seen several games where I was better off screencapping the Steam VR headset mirror than the game's actual desktop portal.

Either way, while interested in trying it out, I'm definitely holding off on picking it up until some of these issues get addressed. Between performance issues, which I expected regardless, the blurriness, people commenting on menus being eh, issues with player height and a few other minor things that would compound into annoyances over an 80-hour game, I just can't get too excited about it right now.
PC (1/2017) http://i.imgur.com/0SVA6BP.png
HTC Vive. Embrace the VRevolution

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
5 months ago#33
cody4783 posted...
In regards to that screenshot: Given the GPU/performance overlay, I'd guess that would be off a desktop mirror, which tends to look god-awful and not terribly representative of the VR view point. Not to say I haven't seen and read through Reddit posts saying it's a blurry mess, but THAT specific screenshot is kinda iffy as evidence.

Most desktop mirrors look awful in VR games to save performance because they made it a separate render for whatever reason. I've seen several games where I was better off screencapping the Steam VR headset mirror than the game's actual desktop portal.

Either way, while interested in trying it out, I'm definitely holding off on picking it up until some of these issues get addressed. Between performance issues, which I expected regardless, the blurriness, people commenting on menus being eh, issues with player height and a few other minor things that would compound into annoyances over an 80-hour game, I just can't get too excited about it right now.

I would wager that rendering a separate 'lower rez' version for the desktop display would be more performance intensive that mirroring already rendered frames in a window.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: Dr_keith

Dr_keith
5 months ago#34
cody4783 posted...

Cite one so we can check it out.
If you're worse than me: You're a n00b.
If you're better than me: You're a hacker.

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
5 months ago#35
-5xad0w- posted...
I would wager that rendering a separate 'lower rez' version for the desktop display would be more performance intensive that mirroring already rendered frames in a window.

It would be, but that doesn't mean the developers actually factor that in mind and properly mirror the headset display instead of creating a separate projection. Just from my observation, if the desktop render is 16:9 then more often than it it's a separate, lower-quality re-render. VR games that split a direct mirror to the desktop tend to be closer to a portrait ratio, matching one of the two VR displays' aspect.
PC (1/2017) http://i.imgur.com/0SVA6BP.png
HTC Vive. Embrace the VRevolution

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
5 months ago#36
KillerTruffle posted...
ArkonBlade posted...
Works fine for me.

Here's the thing though - developers don't typically build their games for you specifically. They build them for gamers more as a whole, trying to serve the greatest number of people they can.

At least in the case of Fallout, it's typically been highly moddable, so there's a good chance you'll be able to find a movement system you'll be happy with within a year or so. But room scale movement is the ideal for this sort of game, and that's what they went with. I believe the "blink" type turning is more to make up for people who have a bit of room to move around, but are limited enough they don't have full 360-degree freedom and may need to re-orient their view sometimes. I don't think it was really intended for people who prefer to just sit in their chair, since the game is not meant to be played that way.

You ever heard of this thing called "options" Most people i know who play VR prefer to sit and play instead of stand and play. I think you under estimate how many people prefer to do it my way.

also a year lol. Doom VFR had full free locomotion movement and smooth turning in a day or two. I expect a smooth turning mod probably by the weekend.

Considering the great thing about PC gaming is options and freedom to do things the way you want you sound a lot like a console gamer who wants it only one way and every one should agree to that.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Fallout 4 VR is out

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived