This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have a 1050ti laptop for $750, should I exchange it for a 1060 $1100 laptop?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I have a 1050ti laptop for $750, should I exchange it for a 1060 $1100 laptop?

User Info: lorac94

lorac94
5 months ago#1
I have this:

Dell Inspiron 15 7567 i5 7300HQ 1050ti 4gb 8gb ram

I'm eyeing this:

Acer Predator Helios 300 i7 7700HQ 1060 6gb 16gb ram

Now, my Dell is my introduction into PC gaming and I intend to mainly play games for the first time like OG Doom, Half Life, System Shock, Portal, Max Payne 3 etc. Pretty much games from like 2013 down mainly. But occasionally I want to play games like Forza Horizon 3 (having fun with it 30 fps high) and Witcher 3 medium high 55-60fps. Maybe Shadow of War and Far Cry 5. But my hype for modern games is dying significantly cause of the lootbox, open worlds designed to milk us, false promises (MGS5 is the huge reason) etc. You know just those "special" games like Witcher 3.

Now as a console gamer all my life, I am perfectly fine running games medium to high-ish, little to no AA (15 inch screen laptop), and 30 fps-60fps. However, my main issue is fluctuating frames. I NEED a stable 30 or 60 fps, NO screen tear. I am NOT a 4K Ultra 60 fps nut, but I worship stability above all while looking decent which the Dell 7567 does well.

As it stands, as long as more games in the future provides a 30 fps lock, I am good, but I hear a 1060 offers double the performance which is enticing to future proof games but I am not sure if its worth the extra 400 with worst aesthetics, worst battery, worst sound. To be honest my dell offers 12 hours of battery when non gaming which is good. But I guess Im being greedy.

And I prefer a laptop since I will use it for EVERYTHING. School, games, work, visiting fam, etc.

User Info: lubmelubyou

lubmelubyou
5 months ago#2
The 1060 does not offer double the performance of a 1050ti, it's about 25%.

I had a laptop with the same specs as yours except for an i7-7700hq processor and the 1050ti could handle most of the games at 1080p60 on max, or close to max settings. Exceptions to this were your well known demanding games like Tomb Raider and Witcher 3 which were around 45fps.

I never had screen tearing and ran all games with v-sync on.

I don't think the extra $400 justifies the actual gains you will get from switching.

I know the Dell 7567 and it is a very nice laptop with excellent build quality. Is yours the one with the TN screen or the end of line IPS?

The only way I think $400 would be worth the switch is if you plan on using the laptop for recording and rendering because the 1060 paired with the i7-7700hq will give you more headroom and performance for those tasks. Also if you are going to make the swap to a 1060 laptop from yours make sure it has a 75hz or preferably 120hz g-sync screen or I wouldn't bother.

Your biggest issue seems to be that you are sensitive to varying frame rates, if this is the case you would notice the biggest difference not from more power but from a g-sync screen, it really is that good. You will get no more screen tearing and no more frame just from vsync, just silky smooth frames.

TLDR; I wouldn't switch unless GSync screen.
My Channel for full playthroughs and other things gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgb5tra_kTAbVU_Mb4XeuxQ

lorac94
5 months ago#3
lubmelubyou posted...
The 1060 does not offer double the performance of a 1050ti, it's about 25%.

I had a laptop with the same specs as yours except for an i7-7700hq processor and the 1050ti could handle most of the games at 1080p60 on max, or close to max settings. Exceptions to this were your well known demanding games like Tomb Raider and Witcher 3 which were around 45fps.

I never had screen tearing and ran all games with v-sync on.

I don't think the extra $400 justifies the actual gains you will get from switching.

I know the Dell 7567 and it is a very nice laptop with excellent build quality. Is yours the one with the TN screen or the end of line IPS?

The only way I think $400 would be worth the switch is if you plan on using the laptop for recording and rendering because the 1060 paired with the i7-7700hq will give you more headroom and performance for those tasks. Also if you are going to make the swap to a 1060 laptop from yours make sure it has a 75hz or preferably 120hz g-sync screen or I wouldn't bother.

Your biggest issue seems to be that you are sensitive to varying frame rates, if this is the case you would notice the biggest difference not from more power but from a g-sync screen, it really is that good. You will get no more screen tearing and no more frame just from vsync, just silky smooth frames.

TLDR; I wouldn't switch unless GSync screen.

Valid point. I heard about G-Sync, but I have to research it more to understand it. But it supposedly makes a fluctuating 50-60 look smooth? If true I'm sold. I really do like my 7567 (It's IPS), especially the non-gamer aesthetic that normally makes these type of laptops look cheesy. I'll probably wait when a newer model Inspiron has affordable G-Sync and Max Q 1060.

lorac94
5 months ago#4
Just saw this on Best Buy:

Asus - ROG GL502VM 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 12GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hard Drive - Black

It has G-Sync. But need to pay $300-$400 extra. Welp. Time to give my 7567 an ol' dog walk in the woods I guess.

User Info: Terrorknight3

Terrorknight3
5 months ago#5
You can either return the laptop and grab the gtx 1060 one or you can save that money and buy a newer gaming laptop 3-4 years later.

Remember you can't really upgrade the GPU or CPU in a gaming laptop so you will need to buy a completely new laptop if you want to "upgrade".

Personally for me I would stick with the Gtx 1050ti and just save that money. An $800-900 laptop 3-4 years later will be noticeably better than the best gaming laptop out currently. A GTX 1050ti should last you 3-4 years if you don't mind playing AAA games in 30 FPS with medium settings.

I have the 7567 and I love it that it doesn't look like an alien spaceship unlike other gaming laptops. It looks pretty professional so you wouldn't garner much attention if you were to use it in class to take notes or whatever.

The battery life for basic usage is also quite good and it beats out a lot of other gaming laptop. You said before that you are going to be using it for school, work also, so the bigger battery is also a huge plus.

The Acer Predator Helios thermal cooling isn't as good as the dell 7567. The Acer Predator Helios have two fans but they are situated near the CPU and not the GPU unlike the 7567 which has two fans but they each fan is situated next to one component.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMaX1p_7mx0 (7:40) If you want to see what I mean.

User Info: Terrorknight3

Terrorknight3
5 months ago#6
Sorry I meant the Acer Predator Helos 300 fans are situated near the GPU and not the CPU. I don't get why I can't edit my post.

lorac94
5 months ago#7
Terrorknight3 posted...
You can either return the laptop and grab the gtx 1060 one or you can save that money and buy a newer gaming laptop 3-4 years later.

Remember you can't really upgrade the GPU or CPU in a gaming laptop so you will need to buy a completely new laptop if you want to "upgrade".

Personally for me I would stick with the Gtx 1050ti and just save that money. An $800-900 laptop 3-4 years later will be noticeably better than the best gaming laptop out currently. A GTX 1050ti should last you 3-4 years if you don't mind playing AAA games in 30 FPS with medium settings.

I have the 7567 and I love it that it doesn't look like an alien spaceship unlike other gaming laptops. It looks pretty professional so you wouldn't garner much attention if you were to use it in class to take notes or whatever.

The battery life for basic usage is also quite good and it beats out a lot of other gaming laptop. You said before that you are going to be using it for school, work also, so the bigger battery is also a huge plus.

The Acer Predator Helios thermal cooling isn't as good as the dell 7567. The Acer Predator Helios have two fans but they are situated near the CPU and not the GPU unlike the 7567 which has two fans but they each fan is situated next to one component.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMaX1p_7mx0 (7:40) If you want to see what I mean.

I think you are right...The post I made above with the GL502VM, yeah scratch that. I saw a review and it supposedly has a 3 hour battery life even for light browsing. Jesus. What magic does Dell have to be the only one to have a gaming laptop with a 8-12 hour battery life in this range. I get 12 hours just browsing and youtube according to the battery estimator. Sub 3 hours with gaming. I do have an old chromebook that I still use every day, but I'm trying to make my 7567 an all around machine.

I mean thinking about it now. My game library is up to almost 50 games and I only beat Max Payne 3 and all but 2 games run unsatisfying on the laptop (Doom 2016, weirdly enough, dropping below 60) and AC4 (horrible stutter, optimized poorly). By the time I'm done with my older games, the newer Dell Inspirons will hopefully be cheaper with Gsync, a 1060, and amazing battery. Thanks for the reply.

User Info: lubmelubyou

lubmelubyou
5 months ago#8
I think between the three of us we have all come to the same conclusion! Haha
My Channel for full playthroughs and other things gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgb5tra_kTAbVU_Mb4XeuxQ

lorac94
5 months ago#9
lubmelubyou posted...
I think between the three of us we have all come to the same conclusion! Haha

lol true.

User Info: unknown_VS

unknown_VS
5 months ago#10
lorac94 posted...
Terrorknight3 posted...

I think you are right...The post I made above with the GL502VM, yeah scratch that. I saw a review and it supposedly has a 3 hour battery life even for light browsing. Jesus. What magic does Dell have to be the only one to have a gaming laptop with a 8-12 hour battery life in this range. I get 12 hours just browsing and youtube according to the battery estimator. Sub 3 hours with gaming. I do have an old chromebook that I still use every day, but I'm trying to make my 7567 an all around machine.

I mean thinking about it now. My game library is up to almost 50 games and I only beat Max Payne 3 and all but 2 games run unsatisfying on the laptop (Doom 2016, weirdly enough, dropping below 60) and AC4 (horrible stutter, optimized poorly). By the time I'm done with my older games, the newer Dell Inspirons will hopefully be cheaper with Gsync, a 1060, and amazing battery. Thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to say I would never buy a laptop that looks like this haha, omg.

This also made it very hard buying a laptop earlier this year ofc, a lot of units that would have been interesting otherwise just screamed "Gamer laptop!!!"

That said I'm pretty happy with mine, it runs games like Tekken 7 at 56-60 fps and it looks very cute imo! Which was like the most important thing. ;)

https://i.imgur.com/U050SIh.jpg

Pro tip: you aren't supposed to use a laptop for gaming not plugged in, the gpu will be throttling almost at all times, no matter how much you paid for the laptop :)

(I also use a 4 fan cooler though, not in the pic)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I have a 1050ti laptop for $750, should I exchange it for a 1060 $1100 laptop?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived