This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does Street Fighter V compare to IV?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How does Street Fighter V compare to IV?

User Info: jky7702

jky7702
5 months ago#51
nominturddaddy posted...
jky7702 posted...
Get Arcade Edition, the amount of content is going to be pretty crazy

arcade mode with 6 ladders, story mode, extra battle, and like 5 other modes + online and you get free costumes with AE. I almost regret buying near launch, AE is better value.

It comes with the premium costumes you get for buying the characters anyway.

By "5 other modes", you mean the one Time Trial mode (in addition to what you already said) to unlock additional costumes exclusive to that mode, though it isn't clear how many you get/who they're for.

The Main Story mode is already in the game as DLC. Survival is being stripped to be replaced with Arcade. It's pretty much been an EA F2P game this whole time, AE is bringing it closer to a near-finished beta state from the looks of it.

The Season 3 character pack that comes out with AE is not bundled with it though of course, sold separately.

Well its obvious he doesn't own the previous version so I'm just breaking down the whole package for him and the value of it, the amounf of modes. etc.

Extra battle is the time trial mode you mentioned, and costumes will be 100% uniques.

Surprising that survival is taken out since its the main way to farm FM. Either way, for a new buyer, AE is packed with content, for people who already have the game though its not as big a deal.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
5 months ago#52
jky7702 posted...
nominturddaddy posted...
jky7702 posted...

arcade mode with 6 ladders, story mode, extra battle, and like 5 other modes + online and you get free costumes with AE. I almost regret buying near launch, AE is better value.

By "5 other modes", you mean the one Time Trial mode (in addition to what you already said) to unlock additional costumes exclusive to that mode, though it isn't clear how many you get/who they're for.

The Main Story mode is already in the game as DLC. Survival is being stripped to be replaced with Arcade. It's pretty much been an EA F2P game this whole time, AE is bringing it closer to a near-finished beta state from the looks of it.

The Season 3 character pack that comes out with AE is not bundled with it though of course, sold separately.

Well its obvious he doesn't own the previous version so I'm just breaking down the whole package for him and the value of it, the amounf of modes. etc.

Extra battle is the time trial mode you mentioned, and costumes will be 100% uniques.

Surprising that survival is taken out since its the main way to farm FM. Either way, for a new buyer, AE is packed with content, for people who already have the game though its not as big a deal.

You're responding to me like I am not OP...

But I am.

https://youtu.be/Y001O8Azj1U
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: jky7702

jky7702
5 months ago#53
nominturddaddy posted...
jky7702 posted...
nominturddaddy posted...
jky7702 posted...

You're responding to me like I am not OP...

But I am.

https://youtu.be/Y001O8Azj1U

Oh, well s*** then. Nevermind.

But it seems like you know alot about AE already, either way, I think its a great deal for anyone who doesn't already have a previous version.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
5 months ago#54
AE is oddly going to end up making the F2P grind even worse:

Beginning January 16, modes that offered one-time finite batches of Fight Money will no longer do so. This includes Character Stories, the General Story (A Shadow Falls), Trials, Survival, and Demonstrations

All this leaves for FM payouts are the F2P challenges (~7k FM per week average, it's that "daily system" F2P games employ), levelups and online wins, all of which are abysmally slow. I think they did this because AE is giving more characters for ~ the same $ value as the base 16 character package used to, and they didn't want people getting 2x the FM for the same $ value. But rather than reduce FM payouts from those modes to compensate and create a fair experience for both sides (consumer and corporation), they just removed the major sources of FM from the game entirely.

Hence, AE will still be an incredibly grindy F2P game with a AAA cover, and since it will still have a lot more content to come, it isn't even coming out of unmarked EA -_- AE is just a reskin of the same thing they've been doing since launch to get new people that think it'll be better now because AE includes more on the surface, sucked into the same bulls***.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: BackAlleyNeko

BackAlleyNeko
5 months ago#55
For me, I just couldn't get into either IV or V and I still just stick to the iterations of II, III, and the Alpha series. That said, from the time I put into V, I did prefer it to IV both in gameplay feel and the visual aesthetic (though it still has some goofy elements to it.)

V feels a little bit like a back to basics approach, which is fine, but what threw me off was some of the adjustments to the inputs required for some moves. It's been a while since I last played around with it, but off the top of my head I recall some of Cammy's moves having simplified inputs to carry them out, where a circle motion with the stick was changed to something simpler and closer to the usual fireball motion. (It's been over a year since I played it though, I might be misremembering or thinking of a different character or characters.)

I don't particularly find anything wrong with that, and it seems like a design choice to make using certain moves more accessible to all players, where the skill in pulling off those moves is replaced with honing the skill on understanding when to use them, or how to best employ them as the situation dictates. I am just so used to the more strict timing and complexity of certain inputs that it was weird at first, and years of my mind seeing it one way made it a bit clumsy to adjust.

Still, SFV is pretty good. I don't agree with the lack of arcade mode, or the trickle of characters, but at this point, that's practically a non issue with the Arcade Edition on the way. I think that makes SFV overall a much more compelling overall package. Can't speak for balance changes, tweaks, etc, as I just don't follow the game as I am old, stuck in my ways, and still playing Super Turbo, 3rd Strike, and Alpha 2 Gold as if it was still the 90's. That 30th Anniversary Collection though...damn, they got me there; really looking forward to having that.

Anyway, just my opinion but if I was going to play the more modern Street Fighter, I would personally pick V over IV. For reference, the reality is that I play neither of them, am stuck in the past, and lament the death of local arcades and the competitive scene that could be found by going to the nearest mall or gas station with a roll of quarters. (I know that is certainly still around in some places, but where I live it's gone.)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How does Street Fighter V compare to IV?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived