This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Triple monitor advice

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Triple monitor advice

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
4 months ago#1
Im kinda curious about triple monitor gaming. I currently have an asus rog 1440p 144hz monitor and a 1070gpu with i7. What kind of gpu would i need to run a triple asus rog setup? Would i get 60fps on current driving games at 1440p?

Also is it worth it for other genres of games? Any advice highly appreciated.
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: JVolz1982

JVolz1982
4 months ago#2
If I'm doing my math right, that would be more taxing on your GPU than 4k on a single monitor. So no, I don't think you would get 60fps. Might be able to with a 1080ti.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#3
depends on what FPS you want the more monitors you use the more FPS you loose and at 1440p and triple monitors you need a 1080 or the 1080ti for a solid FPS.

I use 2 monitors @ 2x 24" 1080p 144hz 1ms but I have a R9 390 so I will not be getting alot of 60 fps lol.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 months ago#4
Depends on how you use the monitors as well. I've been running 3-4 monitors for the last 9-10 years, and I've dipped into testing things out on a personal level several times, and generally speaking you're going to run into only a few scenarios.

#1 If you span a single game window across multiple monitors then you'll be increasing the rendering resolution and therefore increasing processing requirements. This will eventually reduce frame rates as more monitors are added or the game requires more GPU horsepower for calculations other than slapping a frame up on the screen.

#2 If you play games on a single monitor and use the extra monitors for "sideband" data such as web-sites, video/music players, monitoring streaming or communications software, and other such tasks then you'll see one of two scenarios.

#2A Full screen modes work as normal and you get a performance boost because your card stops rendering the Windows desktop environment, at least on that monitor. You (probably) really need to plug your secondary monitors into a second card or an integrated GPU to really have a shot at having this scenario be the case.

#2B Full screen modes get the same frame rates as windowed modes because your graphics card still has to render the desktop background. I suspect that if you're running all of your monitors out of a single card that this will almost certainly be the case.

When using an AMD HD6870 in combination with an nVidia GTS 450 I never saw a performance gain when going from windowed to full screen in games. Without the GTS 450 I could get a 10-15% boost, but even when I ran all of my extra monitors off of the GTS 450 with only one monitor hooked into the HD6870 performance remained the same. Even when I tried testing this using just the HD6870 and my i5-4690k's iGPU, an HD4600, I saw the same results despite my two extra monitors being plugged into the iGPU.

On the other hand, after replacing those cards with my GTX 1060 I found that I was now getting a 15-25% boost when playing games in full screen modes. The two extra monitors were still plugged into the iGPU. I've got an HDMI->DVI cord so I could probably test the scenario of two monitors hooked into the GTX 1060, but... Meh.

tl;dr: Depending on how you configure things, you could do it with onboard/integrated graphics or something like a GT 1030 or something else (something cheaper) to support two monitors for just data or it could take you a 1080 Ti or better if you want to span a game across three monitors at 7680x1440.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
4 months ago#5
Guys than you for those detailed answers. Much appreciated. It has pointed me in the right direction
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#6
Jonbazookaboz posted...
Guys than you for those detailed answers. Much appreciated. It has pointed me in the right direction

Might just wait for the new series of GPUs its just around the corner.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Riot55555

Riot55555
4 months ago#7
I'm currently running a 3440x1440 ultrawide at 120hz in the middle and two 1080ps on the sides. One of the 1080p has 120hz (and the other is 60hz) capability but I can't seem to get it to actually even SHOW 120hz as an option.... anybody know how? It's a benQ XL2420T and is connected via HDMI. It says Monitor type (Digital) which I've never seen...
youtube.com/riot55 ~~ twitch.tv/riot12345
Competitive Global Elite CS:GO, Hearthstone, Street Fighter gameplay, tutorials and more!

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#8
Riot55555 posted...
I'm currently running a 3440x1440 ultrawide at 120hz in the middle and two 1080ps on the sides. One of the 1080p has 120hz (and the other is 60hz) capability but I can't seem to get it to actually even SHOW 120hz as an option.... anybody know how? It's a benQ XL2420T and is connected via HDMI. It says Monitor type (Digital) which I've never seen...

Perhaps because its connected through HDMI and not Display Port? No idea really.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Triple monitor advice

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived