This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Comcast injects Javascript into your webpages

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Comcast injects Javascript into your webpages

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#21
Your definition of critical differs from theirs, and seeing as it's their system to administer they win the argument by default. Although notice that your modem is EOL and thus negatively impacting your service quality is pretty damn critical in ISP terms. It's not an advertisement selling modems, it's a service notification. Probably one that the user ignored in their bill and email to the point that they need a method of guaranteeing it's been seen.

The only issue we might have here is if the notice didn't go away after it was acknowledged and of course that their support staff were apparently grossly mistrained to deal with the questions about it.

Of course they didn't have to do it by adding a javascript popup. They could've just done a hard DNS redirect to a landing page requiring acknowledgement before resuming normal browsing.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
4 months ago#22
So the"corporate monopolies own you too bad" defense brigade is here on the defense already I see.

Orestes417
4 months ago#23
Fact of the matter is literally any hop along the chain between you and the website you're accessing sees your data and could be altering it. The fact you choose to get uppity about it being done openly for a legitimate reason and only because someone reposted a reddit post tells you all you need to know about your level of awareness of the world around you.

And feel free to get cracking on the righteous outrage over those scrolling bars on the bottom of my tv shows. I'm kinda getting tired of having the atlanta mayor race "advertised" to me.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#24
Orestes417 posted...
no different than a tv station dropping notices in a banner at the bottom of screen on the program you're watching.

Well, it's a little different... I mean, you'd have a point if your TV station was doing stuff like this...

https://i.imgur.com/dxGUHjr.jpg

Those sorts of overlays that dominate the screen are highly invasive and directly interfere with your ability to use the site/service. News tickers take up a very small, relatively unobtrusive portion along the bottom of the screen. There's a difference.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#25
Wow that's pretty bad. And opens up exploits.
I half expect were going to start seeing jquery checksums so pages can detect if they've been tampered with.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

Orestes417
4 months ago#26
KillerTruffle posted...
Orestes417 posted...
no different than a tv station dropping notices in a banner at the bottom of screen on the program you're watching.

Well, it's a little different... I mean, you'd have a point if your TV station was doing stuff like this...

https://i.imgur.com/dxGUHjr.jpg

Those sorts of overlays that dominate the screen are highly invasive and directly interfere with your ability to use the site/service. News tickers take up a very small, relatively unobtrusive portion along the bottom of the screen. There's a difference.

The point is to present a message to the oblivious that's almost impossible to miss. If it works as intended and goes away after the user acknowledges it then it's serving it's intended purpose.

Orestes417
4 months ago#27
SinisterSlay posted...
And opens up exploits.

It opens up nothing that wasn't already doable on every hop your traffic touched on unencrypted sites.

Voxwik
4 months ago#28
This isn't the same as broadcasts that would be more akin to news stories on some ISP home page.

Actually intercepting a page and altering it is not in any way normal. They should not have that capability period.

Orestes417
4 months ago#29
Voxwik posted...
Actually intercepting a page and altering it is not in any way normal. They should not have that capability period.

That's an adorably naive statement. Go do some reading on how the internet works.

Voxwik
4 months ago#30
NoOrestes417 posted...
Voxwik posted...

That's an adorably naive statement. Go do some reading on how the internet works.

I know how it works that does not make altering files normal.

That is like saying the mail man can open and reseal packages so if that is done routinely it is normal.

The ISP is paid to be your bridge to the internet and messing with the data is a breach of trust.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Comcast injects Javascript into your webpages

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived