This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How Does Windows 10 Defender Compare to other Antivirus?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How Does Windows 10 Defender Compare to other Antivirus?

User Info: SoulreaperX112

SoulreaperX112
4 months ago#1
I know MSE used to be recommended fairly often but how does it hold up on 10 with its rebranding? Currently using it on my build with Malwarebytes but was thinking of downloading Panda or something. Thought about bitdefender but it seems to hate everything and has a lot of false positives.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#2
Well, Microsoft themselves told everyone not to use it.

So when a product is so bad that the company that makes it says to not use it, that should mean something.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#3
It's the baseline from which all other AVs should improve upon but sometimes don't. That being said it's massively better than nothing.

And no, Microsoft most certainly did not tell everyone not to use it.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
4 months ago#4
its like the rubber lining on your kids mattress, it'll save the mattress but it wont protect the sheets. you've got to pair it with an actual antivirus program to really get good protection.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: Setzera

Setzera
4 months ago#5
It seems to work, but I barely browse the web so I'm not expecting it to get a thorough test.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#6
Just don't buy Norton, you can't get that s*** off.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 months ago#7
Orestes417 posted...
Microsoft most certainly did not tell everyone not to use it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/
Holly Stewart, the senior program manager of the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, said that Microsoft Security Essentials was just a “baseline” that’s designed to “always be on the bottom” of antivirus tests

Those specific words may not have come out of their mouth, but that's what was said.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
4 months ago#8
Orestes417 posted...
It's the baseline from which all other AVs should improve upon but sometimes don't. That being said it's massively better than nothing.

This. It's literally the base line Anti-virus. ANY virus that intends to function will have to beat the baseline anti-virus that comes with Windows. Which means, Windows Defender is absolutely not a front line of defense, it's just the basic safety measure.

Compare Windows Defender to home security. Windows Defender is like locking your front door. It will stop a casual thief, but won't do anything to a determined criminal who wants in. Something like BitDefender and Malwarebytes is like having cameras, security lights, door sensors etc.

wildog2006 posted...

Those specific words may not have come out of their mouth, but that's what was said.

Uh no? He's saying, Windows Defender is the base line anti-virus. Every other AV takes what Windows Defender has, and builds on it from there. He's not saying not to use Windows Defender, he's saying don't use it by itself without having a better product
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#9
That's what was said by people who didn't understand the statement. Defender IS designed to be the baseline, not to be a bad product. They expect that other AV companies will do some areas better yes, that's not the same thing as saying "don't use the software".
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
4 months ago#10
What other antivirus don't disable windows defender when they are installed? I haven't seen one yet that didn't disable windows defender. (ok I'll give you Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I'm not sure that is a full anti virus program or not.)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How Does Windows 10 Defender Compare to other Antivirus?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived