This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What GPU you got and why you chose it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What GPU you got and why you chose it?

User Info: Teen Girl Squad

Teen Girl Squad
4 months ago#61
1060. My 7850 was finally starting to really struggle with modern games like Fallout 4 so I decided to upgrade. I chose the 1060 over 480 because I value efficiency, cooling and driver support over theoretical performance boosts in the future. I lucked out timing wise though. I seriously debated waiting until next gen and sticking with the 7850 for one more year but the mining craze took off shortly after I upgraded (getting my 1060 6gig for under $200).
"Rest of league playing checkers, Chargers playing E-Sports." Drug_Smoker.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#62
Biceptual posted...
1080ti

Last year I was using 2x 7850s in crossfire. Was trying to wait for Vega but at that point I was just frustrated with waiting and got a Rx480 Sapphire Nitro. Which was a great card. Not top tier by any means but really was a step up. And I got it on a sale at like ~280 USD I think it was.

I was getting by on that for a good few solid months. But then Ethereum went f***ing crazy and eventually I just couldn't ignore that my GPU was in such high demand. Ended up selling it on ebay for about ~400 USD. And because I never had any anticipation that I would be selling my GPU for a profit after such a small about of time, I splurged for the 1080ti. Party because it was the best performer on the market, party because it was one of the cards where it's price was NOT affected by mining hardware hoarders.

1080's are not effected either, although they may sell out from time to time, new stock always come in.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 months ago#63
I picked up a 6GB model GTX 1060 back in April. Based on all the data I could find it offered comparable if not better DX11 performance compared to RX (4/5)80s at worst and was still better at best while using less power and producing less heat. The clincher, however, was being able to get one off of Amazon, new, for under $200 out of pocket between sale discounts and a small gift card balance.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: IceBawls

IceBawls
4 months ago#64
1070 Ti.

I had a 970 but I wanted to move to 1440p and the extra RAM looked helpful according to benchmarks. Was able to grab a eVGA FTW2 1070 Ti for $480, normal $500. With an overclock, it runs better than GTX 1080 stock. Looked at 1080's but all the ones that were close to $500 were blower models.....
i7 4790 | 16GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW2

User Info: Dorfmann_

Dorfmann_
4 months ago#65
saadtariq posted...
RX 480. I wanted adaptive sync and didn't want to pay Nvidia tax

User Info: UnderwaterAir

UnderwaterAir
4 months ago#66
A Titan X.

I bought about 25 desktops for about 2500 USD total from a company that went bankrupt and was liquidating their assets.

I had no idea but I was in for a surprise when I opened them up and started stripping them down for their harddrives, SSDs, and memory.
One had an older Titan.
Two had Titan Xs.

I took one of the X, gave the other to my brother. Gave the older Titan to another brother.

I'm planning on upgrading to a 1080 Ti or better some time next year. Meh...

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
4 months ago#67
R9 270 - An inexpensive replacement for my GTX 460 (which suddenly conked out three years ago).

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#68
UnderwaterAir posted...
A Titan X.

I bought about 25 desktops for about 2500 USD total from a company that went bankrupt and was liquidating their assets.

I had no idea but I was in for a surprise when I opened them up and started stripping them down for their harddrives, SSDs, and memory.
One had an older Titan.
Two had Titan Xs.

I took one of the X, gave the other to my brother. Gave the older Titan to another brother.

I'm planning on upgrading to a 1080 Ti or better some time next year. Meh...

How much of a profit did you walk away from?
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 months ago#69
the short of it is because i really wanted to play witcher 3 and nier automata and with my old graphics card an HD 5750 it wasn't gonna cut it. so working with a $200-300 CAD budget I went with the Strix 1050 Ti for $219 CAD which in hindsight is a good decision since even when gaming the fan doesn't even spin and the temps stay below 60C and it is also silent. anything stronger would've been bottlenecked by my CPU (Phenom ii x4 955 @ 3.6 GHz) anyways. I can play both witcher 3 and nier automata at 720P 60FPS medium with no problems which is what I wanted.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
4 months ago#70
i have a gtx 760 .. had an equivalent amd gpu which was defective so i needed to get a replacement asap . only cared about 1080p and 60 fps and this was the best nvidia gpu in the range at the time.. this was a few years ago now and it still is holding up quite well for 1080 gaming . probably gonna wait one more gen before i upgrade to an 1160 or whatever they're called. may give amd another chance since my monitor is freesync capable but eh
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What GPU you got and why you chose it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived