This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got a new SSD, got a question about installing Win 10 to a partition

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Got a new SSD, got a question about installing Win 10 to a partition

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
2 months ago#11
I always create a 100 GB partition for the C: drive, which is much more than you'd reasonably need, but you can always use the extra space to install games and store data files for convenience.

k debonair posted...
You don't need a partition for this.

This isn't the days of XP where you have to format every year to prevent the bloat and slowdown. Let it have the whole drive and share it with your games.

Yes, but if you have a separate partition for your OS, then you can periodically create an image of the partition as backup in-case your C: drive becomes corrupt or your hard drive dies and you just want to restore the partition image on to it to create a 1:1 copy of your last working backup.

As you say, it's a lot less necessary than in the XP days, what with a (mostly) working System Restore, Windows 10's own Refresh ability, less chance of hard drive corruption, and better AV software than back then. But for small businesses, or even home users, some people still do this.
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Got a new SSD, got a question about installing Win 10 to a partition

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived