This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i want to play 4k movies on my pc, upgrade suggestions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i want to play 4k movies on my pc, upgrade suggestions

User Info: Mushroom87

Mushroom87
4 months ago#1
alright, heres the important parts of my pc

MOBO GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P
CPU AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz
and 8gb of ram
and a really old crappy gpu i bought 5+years ago (nvidea geforce gt 610)

so, lend me your knowledge, im looking for budgetish upgrades to get my system to the point of being able to play 4k video(not gaming)

any help would be appreciated.

(if it matters i have a 600W psu)

could it be as simple as just getting a better gpu?

User Info: DXMG

DXMG
4 months ago#2
Video is more CPU than GPU bound.

You probably dont even need a new GPU in fact, but you do need a new CPU. And that means new motherboard and RAM at the minimum.

Might as well go all in and build a new rig with an SSD and like a 1050 Ti or something....

User Info: darkmaian23

darkmaian23
4 months ago#3
Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't you need a special optical drive and software to play 4k video?

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 months ago#4
gtx 1050
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Cruzader619

Cruzader619
4 months ago#5
1050?
although try madvr first on your current setup if it can run since I can run 4k movies on my old laptop with worse specs than yours
"If you commit suicide on this forest, bears will poop on your corpse."

Mushroom87
4 months ago#6
Cruzader619 posted...
1050?
although try madvr first on your current setup if it can run since I can run 4k movies on my old laptop with worse specs than yours

madvr? i do a google and it looks like a codec of some sort? its not supported by the media player i use though.

if my system could support 4k how would i go about enabling that as my screen resolution? when i go to the nvidea control panel, or windows screen resolution it only goes up to 1080

User Info: Neoprime616

Neoprime616
4 months ago#7
Pioneer BDR-211UBK Internal BD/DVD/CD Writer Supporting Ultra HD Blu-Ray Drive, this is what I have.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 months ago#8
Yes, you can just get a new graphics card. It's even required for 4k Netflix no matter what CPU you have (unless you'd happen to have a Kaby Lake CPU and use IGP).
GT 1030 will do.
Netflix 4k though requires a GTX 1050 or greater with 3GB VRAM.

The FX 6300 by itself should play 4k movies just fine though.

Do you already have your PC connected to a 4k monitor? Nvidia's specs say the GT 610 supports 1440p. Try another cable, check if it says high speed ethernet or something like that.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 months ago#9
godplaysSNES posted...
Yes, you can just get a new graphics card. It's even required for 4k Netflix no matter what CPU you have (unless you'd happen to have a Kaby Lake CPU and use IGP).
GT 1030 will do.

Do you already have your PC connected to a 4k monitor? Nvidia's specs say the GT 610 supports 1440p. Try another cable, check if it says high speed ethernet or something like that.

Why the 3gb vram requirement for 4k playback?
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

Mushroom87
4 months ago#10
godplaysSNES posted...
GT 1030 will do.

Yes, I have it connected to my 4k tv.

Will try a cable when I get another one, my mobo only has dvi out though, and my tv only has hdmi in, would a dvi>hdmi adaptor cause any problems?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i want to play 4k movies on my pc, upgrade suggestions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived