This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

the 1 shining grace for W10 is DX12; unfortunately in late 2017 it still sucks

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. the 1 shining grace for W10 is DX12; unfortunately in late 2017 it still sucks

User Info: speedforce131

speedforce131
4 months ago#11
The secret is that they're still developing around Nvidia. Nvidia's share of the market is so large that they can't possibly switch to AMD's architecture even though AMD's architecture is ideal for both console and DX12.

User Info: 1337toothbrush

1337toothbrush
4 months ago#12
Direct3D in general should be abandoned in favor of Vulkan. Vulkan runs on far more platforms and has all of the optimizations possible with Direct3D. Plus you can run Vulkan on earlier versions of Windows.

As for support, the biggest engines, Unreal Engine and Unity, already fully support Vulkan and Direct3D 12.
:D
https://imgur.com/a/FU9H8

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 months ago#13
Windows 10 has DX11.3 as well, which also doesn't seem to be used by anyone (though the Battlefield games at least use DX11.1)

The main problem is that Windows 7 still is too big to ignore and thus they stick to DX11.0. It was the same back when XP made almost everyone stay on DX9. And the console CPUs are so weak so the games can still run on most PCs despite DX11's high overhead.

The solution for the Windows 7 problem would of course be Vulkan and it's a pity no major studio except ID supports it in their games
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
4 months ago#14
good_mangorush posted...
Funny how shills used to brag Dx12 as the sole reason to use win 10, now they change their narrative.

exactly this!!!! now its, what?? DX12 is not the reason i use W10 hurr durrr.. its not even in my top 20 list..

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
4 months ago#15
So DX12 is great, but it's hardly the main reason I upgraded to 10. Windows 10 is superior to 7 in just about every way. It's faster, more stable, and applications are more accessible with more shortcuts right out of the bat. Windows 7 used to bluescreen on memory-heavy applications a few times a week. Windows 10 hasn't bluescreened since 2015.

DX12 is struggling because a huge chunk of gamers are still on 7, and lazy developers who aren't bothering to move to 12 because they already understand 11 very well by this point. Adoption takes time.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#16
jjyiz28 posted...
good_mangorush posted...
Funny how shills used to brag Dx12 as the sole reason to use win 10, now they change their narrative.

exactly this!!!! now its, what?? DX12 is not the reason i use W10 hurr durrr.. its not even in my top 20 list..

You might have a point if the people saying the first were the same people saying the second. As it is though you're just making yourself look dumb.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
4 months ago#17
I thought by now DX12 would be more of a thing. I have seen very few games use it and not sure what the upcoming list is like. I have to imagine MS is none to happy about it.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
4 months ago#18
ArkonBlade posted...
I thought by now DX12 would be more of a thing. I have seen very few games use it and not sure what the upcoming list is like. I have to imagine MS is none to happy about it.

exactly

" officially launched alongside Windows 10 on July 29, 2015""

2.5 years later, and adoption rate is still crap.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 months ago#19
It is starting to feel like i can use windows 7 until windows 11 is out
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: MrSprings

MrSprings
4 months ago#20
Orestes417 posted...
jjyiz28 posted...
good_mangorush posted...

You might have a point if the people saying the first were the same people saying the second. As it is though you're just making yourself look dumb.

This. I can't wait for people to stop doing this. Lumping different people together as if they're one indecisive person is a f***ing meme at this point and it needs to stop.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."- GC
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. the 1 shining grace for W10 is DX12; unfortunately in late 2017 it still sucks

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived