This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Leaving a PC on full time vs Shutting it down after every use

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Leaving a PC on full time vs Shutting it down after every use

User Info: Pox

Pox
4 months ago#21
ClunkerSlim posted...
Every mechanical part has a life span. The arm in the hard drive, the fans, etc. The more you run them, the more of the lifespan you use up.

This is true, but turning things on and off causes thermal expansion and compression which wears out the material. It probably evens out in the end, but I turn off my computer to save electricity.
Hokay so, here is ze Gamefaqs...

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
4 months ago#22
Vortaka posted...
so about 15 years (it was already used when I bought it)) was the power supply... It was on 24/7 for more then 10 years and the power supply broke on a shut down! Go figure!

That’s interesting to bring up. Because thinking back to all the electronics I’ve owned (not just PCs) it seems like the most common point of failure is the power supply, especially if we’re talking about power bricks or those wall adapters. Maybe the greatest threat to always-on PCs aren’t mechanical failures but the failures of something like capacitors crapping out from heat.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
4 months ago#23
What about Sleep Mode and Hibernation?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: VoightKent

VoightKent
4 months ago#24
I use sleep (not hybrid sleep, because hybrid sleep still writes to your SSD every time you engage it).

Shut down seems pointless to do every single day.

User Info: DragonGirlYuki

DragonGirlYuki
4 months ago#25
Turn off. The electricity savings is more than enough to offset any additional wear. Besides most of the time I replace parts due to obsolescence rather than mechanical failure.
~Yuki~

User Info: Trayvon

Trayvon
4 months ago#26
does it consume a significant amount of energy (electricity costs) or wear down parts of I keep it in sleep mode when I'm not using it for long periods as opposed to turning it off?

User Info: RainblowDash

RainblowDash
4 months ago#27
If it is quite enough just leave it on.
Ryzen 7 1700X - Sapphire RX Vega 64 - ASRock Fatal1ty X370
Samsung 960 EVO 500gb - G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16gb - Silverstone SX700 700W

User Info: VoightKent

VoightKent
4 months ago#28
DragonGirlYuki posted...
Turn off. The electricity savings is more than enough to offset any additional wear. Besides most of the time I replace parts due to obsolescence rather than mechanical failure.

Using sleep mode is under 10 watts, and for 16 hours a day costs you an additional 20 cents per month.

User Info: FireDrakeZ

FireDrakeZ
4 months ago#29
I use the sleep or hibernate button when I go to sleep every night. I sometimes turn it off completely every once in awhile though. But lately I have been thinking about keeping it on, because I don't have an SSD(only a SSHD hybrid) and it takes a longer time to boot it up than an SSD and probably puts a lot more stress on the hard drive. Is keeping it on okay if you don't have an SSD? Are there any downsides to keeping it on, if I don't care about the power consumption?

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 months ago#30
This topic again... I have turned my computer off any time I've planned to be away for more than a couple of hours and never had any issues with the computer wearing out because of it.

I guess if you're paranoid you might expect something to blow up every time you turn it on because the stress of all those volts rushing through the delicate silicon... it's bound to make something blow up! But no... worst thing I can expect from turning my computer on and off is a lower electric bill and a few extra seconds to get started when I turn it on.

If I was standing behind it and flipping the power switch manually on and off repeatedly then yeah, I'm sure the power switch would break before anything else (other than maybe corrupted data from turning it off instead of shutting it down) but it's not going to blow anything up unless you're using cheezy parts to begin with, and if that's the case you can blow it up just by letting it run.

tl;dr Turn it off if you want and save electricity, or leave it on if your house needs extra heating anyway.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Leaving a PC on full time vs Shutting it down after every use

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived