This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Leaving a PC on full time vs Shutting it down after every use

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Leaving a PC on full time vs Shutting it down after every use

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
7 months ago#11
i leave my PC on only becvause it helps me sleep with the white noise it provides.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
7 months ago#12
Your pc prefers to stay on but it wares down your parts faster so it's up to you.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
7 months ago#13
Just can't stand leaving something on personally unless I'm downloading a large game.
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
7 months ago#14
The only real difference is a minimal increase in power usage vs a fairly minimal increase in wear at bootup.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Cephditoren

Cephditoren
7 months ago#15
How about just tossing this bad boy is Sleep mode every time?
Sex has better replay value.

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
7 months ago#16
LazyyAmerican posted...
Just can't stand leaving something on personally unless I'm downloading a large game.

Same here.

With SSDs it's not even a big deal to power them down, since it takes only 10-20 seconds to brign the PC back online.

User Info: locksmithblack

locksmithblack
7 months ago#17
Silvererazor posted...
LazyyAmerican posted...

Same here.

With SSDs it's not even a big deal to power them down, since it takes only 10-20 seconds to brign the PC back online.

This. SSDs make all the difference. The only reason I used to leave mine on is because it'd take forever to power up.
Haters = Motivators

User Info: ValzacardX

ValzacardX
7 months ago#18
I just put mine to sleep. Its there for a reason. My only complaint is that sometimes it wakes itself up, so when I'm sleeping, the lights of VALHALLA shine apon me.
GT:Kahlilx77 PSN:CBE_Rookie
Currently playing: Gundam Versus, Destiny 2, Warframe(PC), and Xcom Enemy Unknown.

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
7 months ago#19
Every mechanical part has a life span. The arm in the hard drive, the fans, etc. The more you run them, the more of the lifespan you use up. But realistically, would you reach the end of those lifespans during the lifetime of your PC even if you ran them 24/7? Who can say?
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: Vortaka

Vortaka
7 months ago#20
ClunkerSlim posted...
Every mechanical part has a life span. The arm in the hard drive, the fans, etc. The more you run them, the more of the lifespan you use up. But realistically, would you reach the end of those lifespans during the lifetime of your PC even if you ran them 24/7? Who can say?

Well, for my experience, I had an old (I bought it used in... 2004 if I remember right (or near that mark anyway) p4 single core 2.4ghz and the only thing that failed (about a month ago, so about 15 years (it was already used when I bought it)) was the power supply... It was on 24/7 for more then 10 years and the power supply broke on a shut down! Go figure!

I could have changed the power supply and continue using it but I had another used in stock (a core2duo 3.1ghz) so I just switched (It was faster anyway)... I think of it as my dog! :p 10 to 15 years is OK! :)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Leaving a PC on full time vs Shutting it down after every use

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived