This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your Experience with Non-Techies

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Your Experience with Non-Techies

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#51
Orestes417 posted...
Give me a true blank slate and I can teach them wizardry. Or if not wizadry, at least how to get what they want to get done to the extent it's possible to do. Give me someone who's been corrupted by bad habits habits though and it gets 100 times harder. The more there is to unlearn the worse it gets. The absolute worst is when you have an "expert" user on one piece of software trying to force a different one to do what they mean because they're so stuck in their workflow.

Lol are you sure we didn't work together? I've had so many "expert" users try to bend new software to match the old, then complain when they can't.
I even had one complain that the documents it printed were correct, and wanted me to change them to be like the old system where they would print them, cut them up, use construction paper and glue to stick them back together, then scan them to create a new document.
I just shook my head and walked away.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#52
Sonorous_Jon1S8 posted...
How do you even get this many viruses?

Mostly from lack of common sense is probably the biggest thing I can think of. I'm careful and the virus protector only picked up a few from time to time.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
2 months ago#53
More likely they listened to some dolt who told them all they needed was common sense and disabled their AV. There's a special place in hell for those people. It involves Bonzi Buddy.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
2 months ago#54
ClunkerSlim posted...
https://youtu.be/WYjgHLFZMa0

That reminds me of the mid-90s. I wanted an NES and had long since sold mine. I didn't trust ebay quite yet, and all local avenues were turning up empty in that moment. A friend informed me he knew someone who had an NES that no longer worked, that just sat around. He put me in touch with him.

It turned out this guy was someone I went to school with. His younger brother got angry at him one day, and peed on his NES over a few sessions while this guy was at work. No longer worked. He was willing to sell it, so I paid him $20 for the piss covered system and controllers. Super Mario Bros. 3 was pristine and piss free.

I put on gloves, took it outside, totally disassembled the system and controllers, and gave them a thorough cleaning. Worked perfectly, no piss smell, no piss stain, no piss stickiness. Like-new.

When the friend that connected us informed him of this, he got mad. Apparently he had been bragging about ripping my dumb ass off, now he felt stupid. There's no point continuing this story. I know how it ends. You, the reader, can forever wonder.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: darkmaian23

darkmaian23
2 months ago#55
nominturddaddy posted...

It turned out this guy was someone I went to school with. His younger brother got angry at him one day, and peed on his NES over a few sessions while this guy was at work.

What? I used to buy used games all the time, and I would have sworn I'd seen it all: funky unidentifiable smell, signs of someone sawing into a cartridge, weird drawings all over the cartridge, homemade instruction manuals with made up nonsense to increase the price, save files with offensive names and no progress made to troll. But never in my entire life have I seen or heard of anyone having a relative piss on their game console and cartridges. Did that really happen?

User Info: BootLoxes

BootLoxes
2 months ago#56
I have stories for years since I spent 5 years in retail PC repair to pay my way through college. Here is my favorite one.

A woman comes into the store and buys a monitor and a keyboard/mouse combo and heads home. Now I wasnt there for this but she calls two times to the staff complaining that her monitor is defective. So she brings it in. We plug it in and it works fine. So she takes it home. Then I arrive and get a phone call from her. She says everything is plugged in and it isnt working. I asked her if she plugged the monitor into the wall. She said yes. She said all the cables were plugged in and it still wouldnt work.

Later that day she comes in with her husband with the monitor saying she just wants to swap it out. At this point all of us were tired of seeing her so we agreed just to get her out of the store. While the manager is getting a new one from the back she told me she bought a kbm combo and wanted to know how to set it up. So I opened it up and grabbed the little usb dongle and told her to plug it into the desktop. I showed her every step with a real pc so she wouldnt f*** it up. She then says she doesnt have "that." I asked her if she was talking about the dongle since they are often hidden in the keyboard or mouse battery slot. She points to the desktop and says "that"

So I asked her "you bought a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, but you dont have this?" to which she says yes. I facepalmed so freaking hard and radio'd the tech manager to let him know what the problem was. His response "you're s***ting me." I looked at her husband and he said "dont look at me, she is the computer expert."

I told her the tower was the most important part and she needed it. She told me she knows a guy that is selling one for $25... The tech manager heard and came up to her and told her she is most likely thinking of a toaster.
7700K 4.5GHZ | GTX 1070 | 16 GB RAM 3000MHZ | Samsung Evo 500GB | Asus Z170 A-R

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
2 months ago#57
cuteboi100 posted...
It's so frustrating people are not tech savvy ask for your help yet they don't trust what you say.

And question why, yet don't want to even try to understand the answer.
Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI B350 Tomahawk | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync
Nintendo Switch

User Info: Madmicky933

Madmicky933
2 months ago#58
BrokenMachine85 posted...
cuteboi100 posted...
It's so frustrating people are not tech savvy ask for your help yet they don't trust what you say.

And question why, yet don't want to even try to understand the answer.

I'll never understand it. I guess they think they still know better even though they're coming to you for advice.
Karma... Is a powerful force..

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#59
Mushroom87 posted...
jjyiz28 posted...
""your eyes can't see more than 30 fps therefore anything more is pointless"" - peasant.

now that certain console games do support 60 fps, we don't hear that argument anymore.

""PC gaming is dead because reasons" - peasant

every year we hear this so often.. mostly because choice supportive bias being in play.

""PC gaming is too expensive compared to console"" -peasant

upfront costs will be more, but PC games with sales are dirt cheap. so if you're the type to only play a paltry amount of games, then console is best; but if you like having lots of games to play PC is probably better for your wallet.

Theirs a group of gamers at work that are still young and play P's4/Xbox because its "cool" and when they start having power debates and I interject with something about pc they ignore me or laugh me out of the convo.

Another guy in that same group was hell bent on buying an alienware for 1200 bucks, I told him to just let me build him a system that's equally capable for less money and he acts like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Kids these days are all about brands, if theirs no name brand on the case they don't want it

Build it and put an alienware case on it.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Retrowire

Retrowire
2 months ago#60
Middle School.

Witnessed a girl try to click and drag a loading bar to speed up the loading process.

Then at the end of class, when we were all getting ready to leave...

She was clicking back, back, back on her browser over and over again.

I asked, "What are you going back for?"

She answered, "I'm putting it back to where it was."

She thought she had to literally rewind the internet.
AdhesiveWombat is the greatest chiptune electro artist ever.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Your Experience with Non-Techies

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived