This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your Experience with Non-Techies

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Your Experience with Non-Techies

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
2 months ago#31
Give me a complete newbie over a "power user" any day of the century. The newbie realizes they don't have a clue and tends to be willing to learn.

Can I meet these newbies? the ones I deal with actually don't listen and act like they know better because "I don't use computers so if I like it it has to be good and right"
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
2 months ago#32
The f***ing library "technicians" are f***ing scared to touch the new printers because they weren't aware they were getting new Xerox machines so they f***ing cry wolf every day, at least 5 times an hour.
i7-6700K @ Stock | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI 79hz
e7470 | i5-6300U || Surface Pro 2 i5 || OnePlus 5t || iPad Air 2 9.0

User Info: ValzacardX

ValzacardX
2 months ago#33
Working retail as Staples "Easy Tech" I experienced everything from simple adware to a local priest offering money for "favors" that had nothing to do with his computer.

A lot of racism, especially in Costco and Bestbuy as an HP Rep. I'm Black and I'll never forget the time some old lady said "I must have put voodoo on her printer so it would break" AFTER she came asking for a recommendation because hers was crapping out on her...... I'm not even Jamaican...

Doing Freelance repair it was the odd great person you meet. Had a family buy me dinner and tip me. Then you get your usually cheapass.

Or "friends" that want stuff done for free.

Most of my experience with "Non-Techies" has been horrible. But hey still in the field lol doing IT Support.
GT:Kahlilx77 PSN:CBE_Rookie
Currently playing: Gundam Versus, Destiny 2, Warframe(PC), and Xcom Enemy Unknown.
(message deleted)
(message deleted)

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
2 months ago#36
Well in very recent memory just last weekend a friend of mine brought his PC over for me to look at because it was very loud. First thought was probably the bearing on the CPU fan going out.

When i opened it up it was so disgusting inside i wish i took a picture of it because it had to be seen to be believed. It looked like it had been siting in a dusty dirty basement for 30 years. When i opened up the CPU fan to clean it out it looked like a rat had built a nest inside it.

I ended up just taking it to my parents place to clean it since they have a air compressor. Because i would have went through multiple cans of air trying t clean that out. Guy didn't relies he should clean his PC out at least once a year.

the scariest part was his PC was only 2 1/2 years old. I cant figure out how that thing got that bad in just that amount of time. I've cleaned out PC's that were 8-9 years old that have never been touched and didn't even come close to looking that bad.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
2 months ago#37
https://youtu.be/WYjgHLFZMa0
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#38
ArkonBlade posted...
Well in very recent memory just last weekend a friend of mine brought his PC over for me to look at because it was very loud. First thought was probably the bearing on the CPU fan going out.

When i opened it up it was so disgusting inside i wish i took a picture of it because it had to be seen to be believed. It looked like it had been siting in a dusty dirty basement for 30 years. When i opened up the CPU fan to clean it out it looked like a rat had built a nest inside it.

I ended up just taking it to my parents place to clean it since they have a air compressor. Because i would have went through multiple cans of air trying t clean that out. Guy didn't relies he should clean his PC out at least once a year.

the scariest part was his PC was only 2 1/2 years old. I cant figure out how that thing got that bad in just that amount of time. I've cleaned out PC's that were 8-9 years old that have never been touched and didn't even come close to looking that bad.

Smoker? Sounds like a smoker pc.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
2 months ago#39
SinisterSlay posted...
ArkonBlade posted...

Smoker? Sounds like a smoker pc.

no him and his GF don't smoke but he has friends over and lets them smoke. I've cleaned out smokers PC's before and infact i use to smoke myself and I've never seen one that bad before. like i said wish i took a pick. The pile of crud under the fan was insane. I'm shocked his CPU didn't over heat.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: where_am_I

where_am_I
2 months ago#40
Used to work in IT remotely connecting to people's PC to fix their problems.

Once, one of our users called in order for us to transfer files from her old PC to her new laptop. I asked for the computer name or IP of both machines so I can do the transfer. The lady tells me that she doesn't have the information for the old PC because they threw it away when they got the new one. When I told her the old computer needs to be connected to the network (we weren't in the same country) for the transfer, she asked to be transferred to someone who knows what they're doing. In the end I got the OK from the manager to hang up on her after telling her to call us back if she manages to find her old computer so at least this one ended happily.

Also, like many other companies, employees need to answer three secret questions in order to reset their windows password. Each employee sets up his questions and answers when they're hired. One time, a user called me asking for the answer to his secret questions. When I told him that he's the one who set up the answers and I don't have access to the answers he told me: "What kind of IT guy are you if you don't know that?". Of course, how dare I not know the answer to the secret questions of all 30 000 employees of the company!

Last situation is my fault but when management pressurizes you to work fast and always take more calls, you tend to cut a lot of corners. One day someone calls me and tells me that his computer is slow so I remote into it. First thing I notice is that the computer hasn't been restarted in like 3-4 months. I ask him to save his stuff and then we'll restart the PC. Before I do I notice that someone else is logged into the computer, a certain Dan something. I ask the caller if he can ask Dan to save his stuff before I restart. The caller tells me: "Dan doesn't work here for 3 months now". Thinking that Dan can't be working on anything right now I can restart the PC anyway. As soon as I reboot the PC, I heard a commotion in the background. Turns out this was a call center and the application distributing the incoming calls was running from this dude's session on a PC accessible to everyone. Of course, the application was installed only on Dan's session and no-one knew Dan's Password once the computer had rebooted.

I've since then moved on to a better job
Spending some of my finite time on this earth on Gamefaqs is my greatest failing
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Your Experience with Non-Techies

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived