This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your Experience with Non-Techies

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Your Experience with Non-Techies

User Info: Madmicky933

Madmicky933
2 months ago#1
Yes, I realize this topic is very popular on LinusTechTips, but I thought we could have a GameFAQs version.

So, what is some of your experiences with people who are not tech savvy?

For me:
Friend of mine was building his PC for the 1st time and was complaining to me via text that it wouldn’t boot no matter what he did. All cables plugged in, everything in the right spot, etc...
I asked him “Dude, do you have the power supply switched on?”
After a moment he texted back “..I’m an idiot. It’s working now! Thanks man!”
Karma... Is a powerful force..

User Info: cuteboi100

cuteboi100
2 months ago#2
It's so frustrating people are not tech savvy ask for your help yet they don't trust what you say.
Attack Jet - Division 1 (World) | Fighter Jet - Division 1 (World)
Fighter Jet - Division 1 (Toronto), Rank #5

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
2 months ago#3
Give me a complete newbie over a "power user" any day of the century. The newbie realizes they don't have a clue and tends to be willing to learn.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Monkeymage

Monkeymage
2 months ago#4
Years ago I made the mistake of putting up a sign in the break room where I work, saying that I would fix peoples' computers and mobile devices for a fee.

Most of it was people shoving 5 and 6 year old prebuilts onto me asking why they were running slow, and then having to clear tons of spyware, adware, etc off of them. I would provide education on what sites to avoid and they would bring them back 6 months later with exactly the same problem. It got real tiresome.
Intel i9 9250k Crystal Palace OC'ed to 8.5 Ghz / 128GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 6 GO500 "Oppenheimer" Chipset, Icosa-SLI
http://i.imgur.com/pniS1hj.jpg

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
2 months ago#5
Monkeymage posted...
Years ago I made the mistake of putting up a sign in the break room where I work, saying that I would fix peoples' computers and mobile devices for a fee.

Most of it was people shoving 5 and 6 year old prebuilts onto me asking why they were running slow, and then having to clear tons of spyware, adware, etc off of them. I would provide education on what sites to avoid and they would bring them back 6 months later with exactly the same problem. It got real tiresome.

that sounds like easy profit, i wouldnt complain about that at all lol
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#6
Orestes417 posted...
Give me a complete newbie over a "power user" any day of the century. The newbie realizes they don't have a clue and tends to be willing to learn.

Smart newbie preferably.
I'll never forget the user that got upset cause she couldn't find the program. "It's always the third icon on the desktop" well lady now it's the fourth.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: MrZAP17

MrZAP17
2 months ago#7
I'm that person. Not as bad as the people in Monkeymage's post but no hardware knowledge whatsoever.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."

User Info: MasterFeeler

MasterFeeler
2 months ago#8
If you put an AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU, the computer will slow down. WTF.
i5-3570k, 8gb, R9 270
i5-5200u, 8gb, 940m
(message deleted)

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
2 months ago#10
iemerg_ posted...
Monkeymage posted...

that sounds like easy profit, i wouldnt complain about that at all lol

Neither would I, especially if he was charging a competitive fee of 100 dollars per system.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Your Experience with Non-Techies

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived