This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Before I migrate to the Master Race: Physical is pointless?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Before I migrate to the Master Race: Physical is pointless?

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
5 months ago#31
ArkonBlade posted...
pretty much.

Unlike consoles though DD works very well on PC and I am a person who thought when it comes to gaming i would never go all Digital.

Consoles i still go mainly physical.

Well physical is worthless on PC, so ya of course I would go digital there.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: candlefighter

candlefighter
5 months ago#32
@Fried

Where did you go?

User Info: krazycharlie

krazycharlie
5 months ago#33
Going physical does have its point. Not every single game that predates digital distribution and/or that doesn't rely on nickel and diming BS is sold or distributed through Steam, GOG and the like. You'd find physical releases of older games on thrift stores every now and then. Of course, you can also find physical games on amazon, ebay and other sites (albeit their prices vary depending on the game).
"U mad bro?".

User Info: Pengu1n

Pengu1n
5 months ago#34
kobalobasileus posted...
Mushroom87 posted...
If you really need physical theirs som shady practices involving burnable media

Why would you do that though?

There is nothing "shady" about burning backups of your fully-updated games to optical for long-term storage. It's really the only way physical media makes sense in this modern world of massive day-one patches and constant smaller updates that render the code that comes on your retail disc instantly worthless.

No need.

All games bought on steam, origin, uplay or microsoft store are tied to your account so if you upgraded your PC all you would have to do is log in and redownload your games the services all take care of updates for you as well updating them automatically. Long gone are the days when you had to scour gaming websites to get the latest patches for your games. So in this day and age there is really no need for an optical drive anymore.

Even when you do buy physical these days most games are just code in a box with no disc(s). Bethesda gives you one disc and makes you download the rest from steam. Even windows 10 can be installed from a USB thumb drive.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
5 months ago#35
Pengu1n posted...
So in this day and age there is really no need for an optical drive anymore.

Need no, but they're dirt cheap and having a backup image saves bandwidth and could come in handy if the download ever becomes unavailable. So there's really no reason to go out of your way not to have an optical drive either.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: candlefighter

candlefighter
5 months ago#36
you can also use them for older games, music, DVDs and burning stuff to them like pictures you took for someone else(that rather a DVD than disc drives) or some kinda movie you made yourself.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Before I migrate to the Master Race: Physical is pointless?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived