This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Odd multi-monitor issue...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Odd multi-monitor issue...

User Info: __HM3__

__HM3__
4 months ago#1
Hey guys. Havent posted in years, but I'm glad to see this place is still poppin'.

I need some help with a very odd monitor issue. when attempting to use 2 monitors on DVI (both plugged into my GTX980) only one will work... sort of.

If I start up the computer with 2 monitors attached, from being turned off, only monitor 1 is recognized. Also Windows boots in low-graphics mode (no Aero.)

Where-as, if I start the computer up with one monitor plugged in, boot windows, and theeeen attach my other monitor, everything is smooth sailing. Extends perfectly.

If I do 1x DVI and 1x HDMI, 2 monitors work perfectly. Its just that second DVI port that from start up isnt recognized.

My BIOS doesnt display on monitor 2 on startup, either. Which IMO means its not a Windows problem.

Tried re-flashing mobo BIOs, and multiple windows installs. Nothing.

Specs: GTX980, AMD FX 8350, 8GB RAM

Help? Thanks guys
E2160 3.2GHz | 2GBs DDR2-800 | 8800GT 256MB | DS3L | Earthwatts 500w
"THAT'S MR. KANEDA TO YOU, PUNK!"

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#2
__HM3__ posted...
Hey guys. Havent posted in years, but I'm glad to see this place is still poppin'.

I need some help with a very odd monitor issue. when attempting to use 2 monitors on DVI (both plugged into my GTX980) only one will work... sort of.

If I start up the computer with 2 monitors attached, from being turned off, only monitor 1 is recognized. Also Windows boots in low-graphics mode (no Aero.)

Where-as, if I start the computer up with one monitor plugged in, boot windows, and theeeen attach my other monitor, everything is smooth sailing. Extends perfectly.

If I do 1x DVI and 1x HDMI, 2 monitors work perfectly. Its just that second DVI port that from start up isnt recognized.

My BIOS doesnt display on monitor 2 on startup, either. Which IMO means its not a Windows problem.

Tried re-flashing mobo BIOs, and multiple windows installs. Nothing.

Specs: GTX980, AMD FX 8350, 8GB RAM

Help? Thanks guys

Never flash your Mobo if you dont need to it could brick it.

If your second one does not work get a known good cable and test that and make sure you install the drivers for your old monitor from the site not the cd.

If that does not work try a active display adapter they run $20-45. If that does not work your gpus port on that cable is going out. You can get a hdmi splitter amd try that also.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

__HM3__
4 months ago#3
Thanks for the advice. I doubt monitor drivers are the issue, as it has the problem with any monitor I hook to it via DVI. Tried multiple cables that are all fine.

Display adapter/splitter is a last resort because I shouldnt need it. But I will keep them in mind.

My port "going out" doesnt make sense to me. The port itself works perfectly, just situationally.

What about re-flashing Nvidia BIOS? Ive been attempting to do this for a few days now actually and havent been able to complete what is supposed to be a very simple process... NVflash doesnt seem to work properly and all these "Boot into DOS and do this and that" guides seem... overly complicated? For a BIOS flash? I dont know.
FX 8350 4.7GHz | 8GBs DDR3 | GTX 980 4GB

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#4
A quick scan online looks like this is actually a relatively common problem with the 980 series - lots of people have had issues with dual monitors on DisplayPort or DVI. I haven't found a consistent fix yet either.

In one case, the person couldn't get both monitors working properly together until they enabled their webcam for a Skype video call, and they worked ever since. In another case, it was simply a matter of nVidia control panel not having one of the monitors checked; however, that's not likely your problem if Windows loads into low graphics mode.

Stupid question, but you *are* plugging both monitors into GPU ports, right, and not one into the GPU and one into your motherboard DVI? I only ask, because the majority of GTX 980s only have one DVI port, so to be using two at all, you'd have to have a model with two on the card.

Is there a reason you can't just keep using one DVI and one HDMI if that works?
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

__HM3__
4 months ago#5
Guys, thanks for the input. After a bit more investigating (namely under device manager) I realized that I needed to install Microsoft's 980 GTX drivers, along side the nVidia ones. Which seems odd to me, but it is certainly working (3-monitor setup, 2 in DVI one in HDMI.) I've never run 3 monitors before, and games are cooler than ever. Thanks again guys, closing this one.
FX 8350 4.7GHz | 8GBs DDR3 | GTX 980 4GB
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Odd multi-monitor issue...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived