This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is a GTX 1080 really this loud?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is a GTX 1080 really this loud?

User Info: Synbios459

Synbios459
4 months ago#1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXCAlBC2Niw

Geez if it is.

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
4 months ago#2
Do you have a v-sync on?
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

User Info: ajxh

ajxh
4 months ago#3
It sounds like coil whine. It's not just GTX 1080; really any video card can be affected. In my experience, it can be of varying intensity, but almost every video card I've owned over the last eight or nine years has had some degree of coil whine.

It's likely to be most intense in menus and the like (as shown in that video) because the frame rate tends to shoot through the roof. That's why the second poster asked if v-sync was enabled. I first noticed coil whine when I played the original Crysis because the FPS would shoot up to around a thousand or so in the menu and that kind of stress is what induces the whine.

There isn't a whole lot you can do. It isn't harmful. I've read about some that have gone as far as switching out their PSUs and physically modifying the GPU, along with RMAing multiple video cards, but there isn't any surefire solution to the problem that I'm aware of. I soundproofed my case awhile ago and now the noise is imperceptible to me.

For what it's worth, GPUs aren't the only thing affected. Any modern device can exhibit coil whine. I've heard it very faintly in my Xbox One and especially in its power brick.

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
4 months ago#4
What ajxh said.
Coilwhine is "normal". Though if it's too loud, you could try to RMA it. Some companies do this, and some of them say that it's not a reason to RMA it.

A new PSU could help.
One of my PSUs didn't like the 1080ti, so I got a different PSU and the coilwhine is gone.
But again, this is not a 100% solution...but it could work.

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
4 months ago#5
Founders edition? Last time I had one, when they were called reference, it was fairly loud. I would say about that loud on my GTX 680 and like twice as loud on the GTX 480.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#6
If that was the gpu that has the single fan then ya its that loud, you need to get the aftermarket fan ones.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 months ago#7
it may be normal, but the higher end aftermarket ones usually avoid the issue by using higher quality components

for example, the Asus Strix line is a premium aftermarket line, and they use higher quality components, so I doubt any of them would exhibit coil whine.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
4 months ago#8
zhenghan posted...
it may be normal, but the higher end aftermarket ones usually avoid the issue by using higher quality components

for example, the Asus Strix line is a premium aftermarket line, and they use higher quality components, so I doubt any of them would exhibit coil whine.

Asus -cards have definitely coil whine.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 months ago#9
Silvererazor posted...
zhenghan posted...

Asus -cards have definitely coil whine.

Asus or Asus Strix? Better components are used in the Strix line.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
4 months ago#10
the 4 strix cards I've had have coil whine.

matter of fact every card I've had since 2000 has had coil whine when uncapping framerate on easy to run games.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is a GTX 1080 really this loud?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived