This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anything like Armored Core on the PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anything like Armored Core on the PC?

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
5 months ago#21
BombermanGold posted...
Yeah, MechWarrior Online is more of a slower paced tactical mech-on-mech game. Kinda similar to Counter-Strike in a lot of regards.

Aside from that....eh.

But uh, anyone played Strike Suit Zero and Strike Suit Infinity?

Now I will admit I did not finish Strike Suit Zero, but the vast majority of the gameplay I experienced was more like dogfighting than mech combat a la Armored Core. It's not a bad game, it's just not what I was expecting and I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for an alternative to Armored Core.

Also seriously, has no one else tried Project Nimbus? TC should at least give it a look.
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
5 months ago#22
kobalobasileus posted...
For those who like Battletech, there is a new one of those coming next year:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BattleTech/

It looks pretty great, and I'll definitely be picking it up, but it's an RPG, not an Action game. So it'll be more like Front Mission 3 than Armored Core.

I really hope it's still coming out, but I heard there might be some problems.

Apparently the dev, Hare Brained Schemes (the same dev for Shadowrun Returns/Dragon Fall/Hong Kong) licensed the permission to make a Battletech game from Catalyst Games (whom I believe currently own the Battletech IP, or at least some of it).

The problem is, Harmony Gold, whom hold the IP/license for Robotech (the American version of some of the Macross series) have made a claim (as in, an actual court claim) the designs of several of the core mechs of Battletech are a direct copyright infringement of Harmony Gold's designs.

This complaint, and attempts at legal action has been going on since Battletech: 31st Century Armored Combat by FASA hit the table top game scene back in the late 80's, with Harmony Gold attempting as time goes on, to broaden the specifics of what constitutes enough similarities to their models to warrant copyright infringement.

The end result of this has been the Battletech IP (partially and wholly) changing hands a number of times until various entities hold the rights to various parts of the Battletech/Mechwarrior IP, making it tough for anyone else to be able to effectively license enough parts of Battletech to make an entire, functional game.

This is why it really surprised me when I heard about a new Battletech computer RPG being developed. I really hope the game happens, it's looks awesome from the alpha footage I saw, and I'll totally buy it day one, but Harmony Gold has a habit of shutting down Battletech related stuff, so we'll have to see what happens.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: Golden_Gonads

Golden_Gonads
5 months ago#23
The live-action Robotech movie is seemingly moving ahead with a bit more pace now (after sitting in Development Hell for a decade or two). I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing with regards to a Battletech game. Will they think any mech combat game is good publicity? Or will they think Mine! Mine!Mine!Mine!!! Though I do vaguely recall reading that Hare Brained Schemes won't be using any of the models that were contested, so it could well be a non-issue.

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
5 months ago#24
BombermanGold posted...

But uh, anyone played Strike Suit Zero and Strike Suit Infinity?

SSZ/SSI is a dogfighting sim where you can turn your spaceplane into a mech for strafing purposes, there is almost literally no customization beyond "I want to take the cluster missiles instead of the regular missiles" or etc.

It's closer to Ace Combat than Armored Core. right down to trench-running ridiculously anti-plane superweapons
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: eddy1nsane

eddy1nsane
5 months ago#25
HeavyGear
God created the world, everything else are made in China

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
5 months ago#26
Golden_Gonads posted...
Will they think any mech combat game is good publicity?

Based on 30+ years of history? No, not at all.

Golden_Gonads posted...
Or will they think Mine! Mine!Mine!Mine!!!

This will be the case, it's always the case with Harmony Gold.

For the record, I love the American Robotech series (I own the DVD's and games), but I gotta call it like I see it, Harmony Gold doesn't want anyone else to use any type of mech combat they can block, while at the same time, not really doing much with their own IP.

Again, this is specifically the American Robotech IP I'm talking about. Japan still gets Macross related stuff fairly consistently, but American Robotech? No so much. A game or product every few years at best.

Golden_Gonads posted...
Though I do vaguely recall reading that Hare Brained Schemes won't be using any of the models that were contested, so it could well be a non-issue.

Yeah, that's my understanding (about Hare Brained Schemes not using any of the contested models).

The problem is, Harmony Gold has filed further legal complaints about a bunch of other mech designs created solely by Catalyst Games on the grounds they "have enough similarities" to at least warrant a "cease and desist" of Catalyst Games using them further until a legal decision has been made determining if it's copyright infringement or not.

This, frankly, is totally crappy, as Harmory Gold is trying to be vague to the degree of stating things like "a humanoid giant robot with weapon pods in place of lower arms is too much like our Destroid model, so it's infringement".

The worst part is, it's a win-win for Harmony Gold. If their legal view is agreed with, and achieved, they then own a huge, very vague copyright of giant fighting robot model design.

If their legal view isn't agreed with, or tied up in litigation for years/decades, that's totally ok too, as it deters most companies from being able to make a product in the first place, or being financially too uneasy to take a risk doing so, in fear their product/new franchise could become null and void at any time.

It's a very Disney like business concept that's just simply disgusting, as it does no good whatsoever for the consumer.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anything like Armored Core on the PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived