This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can modern GPU and devices update to HDMI 2.1?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can modern GPU and devices update to HDMI 2.1?

User Info: ArcadeGuy

ArcadeGuy
2 months ago#1
With all this talk about HDMI 2.1 I find it pointless if you have to buy a new PC and device to support. HDMI 2.0 is the new industry standard at this point with sales at an all time high for user base.

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
2 months ago#2
Chances are a GPU with ports that support the standard is all you need. Replace the graphics card and you're good.
PC (1/2017) http://i.imgur.com/0SVA6BP.png
HTC Vive. Embrace the VRevolution

User Info: ArcadeGuy

ArcadeGuy
2 months ago#3
cody4783 posted...
Chances are a GPU with ports that support the standard is all you need. Replace the graphics card and you're good.

Could the port(s) be updated with driver?

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
2 months ago#4
A couple of the features of HDMI 2.1 can be updated to older connections it looks like, however, several features of the new spec need that new ultra-high-speed cable they are releasing for the spec. I don't think you'd be getting everything out of the new spec without building a new product designed to use all of it. Existing televisions or receivers updating their connection to this will most likely never happen.

The update will have to happen at the firmware level, meaning that on-top of the video drivers from AMD/NVIDIA you will have to go to your manufacturer's product page and download it from them. (evga, msi, gigabyte, etc...) It's up to them to make this update and chances are they'd rather you just buy a new card that advertises the new spec on it.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
2 months ago#5
No. The new HDMI 2.1 standard incorporates a number of features, and even requires a new HDMI cable due to the increased bandwidth.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA SSD || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

wizardmon
2 months ago#6
Ryzeki posted...
No. The new HDMI 2.1 standard incorporates a number of features, and even requires a new HDMI cable due to the increased bandwidth.

The adaptive framerate feature and HDR feature are retroactively backwards compatible as long as the firmware is updated - even without the new cable assuming a normal framerate on a normal resolution like 1920, 1080.

Ryzeki
2 months ago#7
wizardmon posted...
Ryzeki posted...

The adaptive framerate feature and HDR feature are retroactively backwards compatible as long as the firmware is updated - even without the new cable assuming a normal framerate on a normal resolution like 1920, 1080.

This is not what TC is asking. HDMI will be retroactive so 2.0 features will continue to work and a TV/GPU with HDMI 2.1 will still work with HDMI 2.0/1.4 etc devices.

But HDMI 2.0 devices can't be upgrades to 2.1, it doesn't work forwards.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA SSD || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

wizardmon
2 months ago#8
Ryzeki posted...

HDMI 2.0 or 2.0a can be updated to 2.1, but they won't be able to take advantage of any of the features implemented that need the new higher bandwidth the new cable provides.

Perhaps you should read the official HDMI FAQ?

Ryzeki
2 months ago#9
wizardmon posted...
Ryzeki posted...

HDMI 2.0 or 2.0a can be updated to 2.1, but they won't be able to take advantage of any of the features implemented that need the new higher bandwidth the new cable provides.

Perhaps you should read the official HDMI FAQ?

I read it before and found nothing like that, pertaining hardware. The only parts I remember about upgrading was to license in which if you are a licensee you can use the new standard.

Since the new standard has new features that also happen to require new hardware to work... its safe to say you cant.

wizardmon
2 months ago#10
Ryzeki posted...
I read it before and found nothing like that, pertaining hardware.

Are you sure?
Q: Is Dynamic HDR accessible via a firmware upgrade?
A: Manufacturers may or may not be able to enable Dynamic HDR with a firmware upgrade. Contact the manufacturer of your product to see if this is possible.

To translate that if it was too hard for you to understand: It's up to whoever made your GPU/Receiver/TV/whatever to update to this, and they might decide it isn't worth it to push a firmware update/the device might not even have the ability to do a firmware update in the case of non-net connected receivers and such.

It's not that far fetched, HDMI has had a few software/firmware level updates in the past.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can modern GPU and devices update to HDMI 2.1?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived